PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scout.com 1 Rounder Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broncos trade both first round picks for #3 and take Stafford.

It'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.

Is Matthews that good of a pass rusher?

I wonder the same thing about Barwin.

Has anybody noticed that it's the anti-Barwin folks who keep making him the focus of every thread, when his name hadn't even come up? Curious, that.

Has anybody noticed that it's the anti-Barwin folks who keep making him the focus of every thread, when his name hadn't even come up? Curious, that.

Yes I have noticed that and comment in another thread where Barwin's name keeps being brought up by the haters?? You would think they would handle it in a way we could discuss it but I guess they all have nothing. I wish I could read a thread without someone trying to bash Barwin instead of actually offering something intelligent to the conversation:rolleyes:

Yes I have noticed that and comment in another thread where Barwin's name keeps being brought up by the haters?? You would think they would handle it in a way we could discuss it but I guess they all have nothing. I wish I could read a thread without someone trying to bash Barwin instead of actually offering something intelligent to the conversation:rolleyes:

The Barwin groupies have gone on such a love fest for the guy that others want to get attention by bashing him knowing it will provoke a reaction.

Personally I like the player, I just don't think that the Patriots should spend a first rounder on him. If another team wants to do that, let them. I think Brant and others have him slated just right in the 2nd round.

As far a Matthews being a pass rusher, I don't look at him that way. I look at him as playing next to Mayo and as the long term replacement for Tedy. It will take him a year rotating with Tedy to assume that role.

The Barwin groupies have gone on such a love fest for the guy that others want to get attention by bashing him knowing it will provoke a reaction.

Personally I like the player, I just don't think that the Patriots should spend a first rounder on him. If another team wants to do that, let them. I think Brant and others have him slated just right in the 2nd round.

As far a Matthews being a pass rusher, I don't look at him that way. I look at him as playing next to Mayo and as the long term replacement for Tedy. It will take him a year rotating with Tedy to assume that role.

But no Barwin groupies where saying anything, he keeps being brought up by the other "Faction" and it is getting tiresome. The guys who like Barwin have already presented thier case in other threads and have done so better then other prospects who have been talked about. It is these little childish jabs by others about Barwin which I find pathetic. Everyone has they own guys just like you have Mathews and you have defended you point. Heck I like Malauga and have presented my case and it was talked about. Not me just acting like a kid trying to post on a site:rolleyes:.

Everyone does not say anything about Aaron Maybin being a first round guy and he has just one good year of production. Maybin took full advantage of his starting role this season, having tallied 49 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and even breaking up 3 passes in coverage. These stats kinda remind me of Barwin and Barwin is like a Swiss Army Knife as someone put and could play multiple positions for us and save roster spots. This is why he is going to be considered in the first round not to mention his measureables.

Clay Mathews is interesting but really do not see him falling to us at #23 but I really would not mind having him. He also does not have that much field time in College maybe played less then Barwin this year and did not have his stats. There are so many factors which going into picking in the first round and none of us really know how the Pats are doing in the off season and what BB is thinking. It will be interesting to see how BB handles this draft without Pioli??

But no Barwin groupies where saying anything, he keeps being brought up by the other "Faction" and it is getting tiresome. The guys who like Barwin have already presented thier case in other threads and have done so better then other prospects who have been talked about. It is these little childish jabs by others about Barwin which I find pathetic. Everyone has they own guys just like you have Mathews and you have defended you point. Heck I like Malauga and have presented my case and it was talked about. Not me just acting like a kid trying to post on a site:rolleyes:.

Everyone does not say anything about Aaron Maybin being a first round guy and he has just one good year of production. Maybin took full advantage of his starting role this season, having tallied 49 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and even breaking up 3 passes in coverage. These stats kinda remind me of Barwin and Barwin is like a Swiss Army Knife as someone put and could play multiple positions for us and save roster spots. This is why he is going to be considered in the first round not to mention his measureables.

Clay Mathews is interesting but really do not see him falling to us at #23 but I really would not mind having him. He also does not have that much field time in College maybe played less then Barwin this year and did not have his stats. There are so many factors which going into picking in the first round and none of us really know how the Pats are doing in the off season and what BB is thinking. It will be interesting to see how BB handles this draft without Pioli??

I guess the thing to do is to ignore them and not give them anythng to feed off.

The more I read about Maybin the les I want the Patriots to take him. He does have some natural talent that's for sure. But I think he is a very poor fit for the Patriots having played at the Rose Bowl game at 226lbs and tehn bulking up for the Combine he is still too small to play OLB for the Patritos.

And you are so right about not knowing where BB is looking. The past few years have been proof of that with very few here getting even one Patriots pick right.

I'd be tempted to draft Ziggy Hood if the draft were to unfold that way. Perhaps Nicks.

I'd be tempted to draft Ziggy Hood if the draft were to unfold that way. Perhaps Nicks.

Oh and there's no way Xanders/McDaniels make that trade. Sanchez is a much more accurate passer, and a much better leader than Stafford. As such, he's a much better fit in Denver.

There's is no doubt in my mind that Sanchez will be the best Pro QB in this draft, regardless of system he gets drafted into. And I think that would be true if Bradford, McCoy, and Tebow were in the draft.

There's is no doubt in my mind that Sanchez will be the best Pro QB in this draft, regardless of system he gets drafted into. And I think that would be true if Bradford, McCoy, and Tebow were in the draft.

Sanchez better than Bradford, McCoy, Stafford and Tebow?!?!?!?!

And yet Bradford will go higher than Sanchez does this year, most likely at least.

I like Matthews a lot as a potential replacement for Tedy next to Mayo. I like him more than Maualuga there, because of his athleticism and coverage ability. I do have a concern about his ability to handle blockers, but I would be willing to give him a shot. The problem I have is that he is likely to go earlier than I would use a pick on SILB given our other needs. If he were to last to the 34-47 range I would be delighted, but that seems unlikely. It seems like there's a good chance he will go to the Texans at #15 anyway.

It'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.

Willing to make a friendly wager about that? I say Matthews is a pretty good bet for us at @23.....

Willing to make a friendly wager about that? I say Matthews is a pretty good bet for us at @23.....
I suspect Matthews is gone to a 4-3 team before that, I know I'd pull the trigger on him if I was Houston or NO or Buffalo. He'd be an excellent Sam or Will for one of those or similar teams. He'd be a good fit for San Diego, their 3-4 plays much differently and would love his speed off the edge. I don't see him as a strong candidate for NE's 3-4, he'd be every bit as long a conversion project as Barwin, with less upside. Heck, let's get dirty and look at numbers again, 15 pounds heavier Barwin has as good if not better quickness and explosion numbers, I'd like to see Matthews 10 split, broad jump, and vertical if he can pack on another 15 pounds and redo them.

it is a really twisted obsession

the only way clay matthews plays for the pats is inside........and even there, the most likely scenario is him being another monty beisel

Where the hell is Matthews gonna play? Next to Mayo? Interior linemen & FBs & big RBs will run right through him. It amazes me how many people think that Matthews is a good fit for this defense. I think - and hope - that Houston takes him, just to end this nonsense.

it would make more sense to just get monty beisel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots