Welcome to PatsFans.com

SCOTUS bans taxpayers from challenging the WH on Faith Based Initiatives..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 25, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

This concerns me, as the SCOTUS said that the american taxpayer cannot even challenge this whole process in the Supreme Court.... which sounds bizarre..a couple of issues come to mind:

1. Under the No Child Left Behind, after 5 years or so of underperforming schools then the feds can make the choice to put the schools out to bid to a private contractor, consider some cities who through not real fault of their own will have their jobs put out to some whack job religious folks.

2. During Katrina the churches raised thousands of dollars from their parishoners, then they could bill the gov't for the services and goods rendered.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19414473/

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court on Monday barred ordinary taxpayers from challenging a White House initiative helping religious charities get a share of federal money.

The 5-4 decision dealt with a suit by a group of atheists and agnostics against eight Bush administration officials including the head of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.

The taxpayers' group, the Freedom From Religion Foundation Inc., objected to government conferences in which administration officials encourage religious charities to apply for federal grants.
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So this case was rejected based on taxpayers' lack of standing. I wonder who does have such standing, then? Perhaps a non-faith-based organization (a faithless organization, if you will) that's denied funding?
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  3. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

oh no, schools run by whackjob religious folks. Now why dont i think hes talking about Muslims or Jews?

as far as Katrina...its funny how Christians are told how ungiving and uncaring they are to the poor, but when average working Christians fork over millions around the country out of their own pockets to help in a time of crisis, they are criticized again. We had dozens of people from our church personally go down to towns in Mississippi and help rebuild through the muck.

What did you do?
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

What I did was quite a bit as I have kin in NOLA, on many levels I extended myself to my family and their friends, while also operating as a conduit for looking for people that were separated.

My issue is collecting from the congregation and then billing the gov't, one or the other should happen.. not both.
  5. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

i would be intetersted in seeing a list of the churches that did that, thats the first i have heard of it and if that was done that would really tick me off as well.

as churches arent taxed you couldnt be talking about tax deductions.

do me a favor, if you have a link or better yet, a site that had a breakdown of how wide spread that was, can you post it?

im being serious, im not ammune to going off on fellow Christians. There was a Baptist Church in South Carolina i had gone too that played games like that, collected about 35 grand one sunday, THEN the pastor decides to ask the congreagation what he should do with it, then asks them to "trust his judgement". he ended up giving half of it to the Southern Baptist Convention "to rebuild churches" and the other half to the local Florence,SC REd Cross. total B.S.
    I have some issues with Southern Baptists.

point is, dont paint all Churches because of what a few do, but im open to see how widespread.

thanks
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23