Welcome to PatsFans.com

Scott Wright's Final Top 32

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by BradyToMoss, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  2. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +119 / 25 / -18

No Jersey Selected

Then add to "Player Ranking Lists" sticky, please. Thanks for the update, BtM.
  3. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

groves not on the list, harvey really up high...interesting

also mayo and albert seemed to have gained a LOT in just the last couple of days
  4. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He has Groves at 36, which seems correct considering his dislocated toes in 2007, and the recent procedure he underwent. Some other notables:

Cason: 31st overall. About where I rank him in the draft overall, but I think he could have a little more value to the Patriots, if they were to trade into the 15-20 range.

Kenny Phillips: 20th overall. I still think he's the best Safety in the class, and has all the tools to develop into a strong player at the next level. The Cowboys could be a good landing spot for him at either 22nd overall, or 28th overall.

Keith Rivers: 11th overall. I've liked some of the things Rivers has shown me, and he could be a special player at the next level. He would need some work in a 34 defense, but with some added leg muscle, I think he could get the job done, and with strong coaching might be a good fit at WILB.

Derrick Harvey: 13th overall. I agree that he's a better prospect than Jarvis Moss (especially at DE), but he's not the top pass rusher in the draft, and he seems more like a 43 DE, than a 34 OLB.

Jonathan Stewart: 10th overall. The RB I would most like to see on the Patriots roster, but that isn't likely to happen.

Cliff Avril: 45th overall. Seems about right, and he could be an option for the Patriots in the second round, but they might need to trade up a few spots.

Ray Rice: 46th overall. A little higher than I've seen him ranked elsewhere, but I also really liked this kid in college, and think he could be a good back in the NFL, despite his size/speed limitations.

Chris Johnson: 49th overall. Probably about where he could go, but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like the Cowboys take him a little higher than expected. Elusive, great footwork, catches the ball well downfield, willing blocker, elite top end speed, and good vision. Would love to have him on the Patriots, but he's likely getting selected higher than they would take him.

Brandon Flowers: 57th overall. This is very close to NE's second rounder (62nd overall), and I would be very happy to get him somewhere in that range. Flowers might be among the shorter CB's in the draft, but he plays bigger, really tough, physical, and gets a good jump on the ball. Go check his INT totals, and DB metrics...one of the top performers in college football.

Tavares Gooden: 64th overall. I wonder if someone will fall in love with his athletic ability, and take him higher, but this is really around where he should get selected. He simply has to many injury problems, and needs work in some areas of his game.

Kevin Smith: 65th overall. An interesting prospect, who could be an option for the Patriots, if they decide to go RB with either of the 62nd or 69th overall selections.

Terrell Thomas: 98th overall. Seems like a number of prospects who the Patriots just might be interested in are projected as going off the board somewhere around this area of the draft. Some think he might transition to Safety in the NFL, but I believe he could be effective at CB within NE's system.

Dexter Jackson: 99th overall. Good little WR/KR, who would seem like an obvious Patriots target, and if he's around for the 94th overall selection, I'm sure they'll think about selecting him.

Erin Henderson: 100th overall. I would have ranked him higher, and I wonder if the Patriots would think about selecting him before this? Yes, he does have some areas of weakness when projecting him to a 34 defense, but there are also some areas of strength to his game that could fit their defense well. So, maybe with some coaching he could develop into a good player.

Steve Slaton: 118th overall. Has the skillset to be a good 3rd down back, and had a great nose for the endzone in college (55 career TD's), so I would have to think about selecting him in the fourth round, as Faulk's future replacement.

Chevis Jackson: 122nd overall. One of my favorite CB's for the Patriots, and he would be very good value this late in the draft. Really, if Wright's rankings are anything close to accurate, the Patriots could easily land two of Cason, Flowers, and C. Jackson. I would be very happy with that.

Jonathan Goff: 123rd overall. I like this guy, and think he has a lot of what NE looks for at LB, so getting him at this point in the draft would likely be a great pick for them. He's still developing his game, and filling out his frame, so don't be surprised if in 3 years he's developed into a 260lbs run stuffing beast. He was a WR before converting to LB, so his ball skills are a little better than you might expect, as well.

Wright has some other guys that I wouldn't mind seeing NE draft ranked even lower, so I'm interested to see how this draft actually plays out, and I think the Patriots are going to come out of this weekend with some good additions.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/top.html
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  5. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nice job Seb....
  6. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Actually, once I saw first overall, and then # 8, I stopped paying attention. This is horrible IMO.

IMO Top 10 players in the draft:

1. Dorsey
    2. J Long
    3. C Long
    4. Gholston
    5. Stewart
    6. Ellis
    7. McFadden
    8. Harvey
    9. Groves
    10. Ryan
  7. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Interesting. One question: if Ryan is the #10 player in the draft, doesn't the fact he plays the most important position on the field mean the first team without a Qb should take him, even at #1? It's a quandary.
  8. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No way that Stewart is top 5, that Groves is top 10, or Ryan is all the way down at #10.
  9. My2Cents

My2Cents Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

10. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I'm not suggesting that's where they'll be drafted. QBs go higher, RBs go lower. Players with injury concerns go lower. I'm simply making a list of the best football players.
  11. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Well, in considering the answer, I suppose you would need to see where the other QBs are ranked. If the next one doesn't show up until #25, then probably, yeah. Unless you badly need help elsewhere also.
  12. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

Although I do not think Wright has a clue what the Pats look for in personnel, I think you can make a case for the positioning of every player he has on his list.
  13. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one...My personal top 10...

1. Ryan: franchise Qb
    2. C. Long: Superman disguised as Clark Kent
    3. McFadden: closest thing to E. Dickerson in a generation (fumbles included)
    4. JStewart: Jamal Anderson, before the knee problems
    5. Mendenhall: Barber and Maroney, in one body
    6. Gholston: Awesome upside
    7. Clady: Elite LT
    8. J. Long: solid lunchpail OT
    9. C. Avril: S. Philips
    10. J. Hardy: Scores TDs.
  14. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

That's funny...not that I agreed with them, but last year every analyist and his mother were throwing around Eric Dickerson as the closest thing to Adrian Peterson.

Personally, I see McF as more of a Travis Henry...that's off the top of my head, I really hadn't thought about it until now.
  15. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Can't say that I see the T. Henry comparison on the field, unless you're talking about Henry's awe inspiring fertility.

No one who ever watched Dickerson play would ever compare Peterson's style to Dickerson. It's nonsense.

The only rb who ran like Peterson that I've seen is maybe B. Jackson, but he didn't have Petersen's wiggle. Peterson is unique, just like Payton, Campbell and Sanders. That's how we know Peterson has all-time talent.
  16. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I'm not arguing, but if you google peterson dickerson you'll find a whole mess of scouting reports from this time last year comparing them.
  17. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I wasn't lashing out at you, just society in general. :) I bet the comparisons started because Peterson was listed at 6'2'' or 6'3'' at OU. When he showed up at 6'1'' at the combine those comparisons should have dried up...
  18. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Some of the RB comparisons I've seen made are both pretty funny and completely off. For instance, McFadden has actually been compared to Barry Sanders. As a long time Sanders fan, I can tell you they're very different RB's. McFadden isn't really all that comparable to AP either, if you actually watched them play, and aren't simply going by a two minute highlight reel...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.