PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scott Pioli Stays in KC???? [1/4 update: two sides agree to part ways]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Reid is that bad. He never had a Brady or a Manning or a Brees. Had he not ran into the patriots' dynasty he probably wins a super bowl. Probably the best veteran coach available. Eagles had multiple deep postseason seasons; I think a change of scene will be good for him. He's also good at developing young quarterbacks. Not a whole lot of risk here either versus hiring a coordinator or an unproven college coach(not to say there aren't good options out there). Some people are acting like the dude is Norv Turner or something.

He didn't have a Brady, Manning, or Brees, but he had a pretty damn good QB in Mcnabb: 234 TDs 117 INTs 37,276 yards 85.6rtg

Last edited:
I remember reading this when it came out, and I just re-read it again to make sure I feel the same way. IMHO, most of this article is hyperbole and/or former employees who seemed to have very little accountability before Pioli arrived and balked at the fiscal/team related responsibility he wanted to install. I remember there always being an issue between the KC media and Pioli from the minute he was hired

I'm not saying Pioli was without fault. Right off the bat I knew hiring Haley was a mistake. Cassell's rotating band of OC's and OL was destined to fail, and the Weis/RAC combo would have worked last season. Pioli ended up firing Haley anyway, he should have just done it before the 2011 season and promoted RAC or Weis to HC while keeping the other one.

Oh well, maybe he learned from it and will get another shot in a couple of years. Hopefully where ever he lands he doesn't have the media gunning for him from the Starting Line.

Youve got to be kidding, the KC media are a bunch of ***** cats.

All the losing with the Royals and Chiefs over these years? Nobody in the media bad mouths Romeo Crennel as a person here. Herm Edwards is still respected as a person in KC. The fans were gunning for Pioli because of sticking with Cassel and having Brady Quinn as a back up plan.

Any animosity between Pioli and them was created by Pioli. He was never accessible to media and acted like they were beneath him.

I don't think Reid is that bad. He never had a Brady or a Manning or a Brees. Probably the best veteran coach available. Eagles had multiple deep postseason seasons; I think a change of scene will be good for him..

I agree.

If KC finds the right QB, I think Reid can get over the SB hump.

He didn't have a Brady, Manning, or Brees, but he had a pretty damn good QB in Mcnabb: 234 TDs 117 INTs 37,276 yards 85.6rtg

McNabb was alright. 8-6 record in the playoffs. He did have a tendency to choke in the NFCCG tho. I mean is Sean Payton considered a good coach if he never gets Drew Brees? Reid isn't the best but he sure as hell isn't the worse.

This thread merging **** is ridiculous. Why not merge the whole damn forum since it is all about football? A perfect example of control going to someones head.

This thread merging **** is ridiculous. Why not merge the whole damn forum since it is all about football? A perfect example of control going to someones head.

disagree

Hate searching thru multiple similar theme threads to follow up on comments or trains of thought and then needing to backtrack to see if point had been made previously or in one of the other 2 threads

Thanks mods!

A fairly rational explanation of what went wrong for Scott in KC. I know DI believes not having a better OL was the root of all evil. I just think it went well beyond that. That was more a sympton than the root cause. Selecting the wrong guy to head up your on field operation was the over riding cause. What that then caused to happen persistently over time sealed his doom. As the author said, Cassel - who was a league average starter and not the second coming of the guy he'd backed up - was set up to fail in the process. Scott's personal approach to the media throughout exacerbated situations. As did losing.

Scott Pioli fired: 3 reasons why things didn't work in Kansas City - Arrowhead Pride

Triumph said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJohnson

Feel free to inform me.
You said Peyton Manning and Jeff Fisher rejected KC BECAUSE OF Scott Pioli.
I say you made that up.
Please INFORM ME by showing me all of the links, stories, comments, etc that I am unaware of that shows that you are correct.

Prove to me Weis was going to let go.

Your word isnt good enough.

I have told you 5 times that was not public information. I tools you our came from someone I know. Believe what you want, I don't care.
However, you continue to avoid showing proof of 3 things you said that ARE public knowledge, out would be if they happened.
You may out may not want to believe what I was told in a personal conversation, and I don't care, but you made VERIFIABLE statements, 3 of them, and your refusal to provide verification at this point equates to admitting you made them up. Why is a mystery to me but given your attitude here out makes some sense why you would make things up in an attention seeking ploy.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

If I owned a team, I could never trust a coach who managed the end of a big game as poorly as Reid managed the end of the Super Bowl. That was one of the most colossal demonstrations of professional incompetence I've witnessed anywhere, in any field.

A fairly rational explanation of what went wrong for Scott in KC. I know DI believes not having a better OL was the root of all evil. I just think it went well beyond that. That was more a sympton than the root cause. Selecting the wrong guy to head up your on field operation was the over riding cause. What that then caused to happen persistently over time sealed his doom. As the author said, Cassel - who was a league average starter and not the second coming of the guy he'd backed up - was set up to fail in the process. Scott's personal approach to the media throughout exacerbated situations. As did losing.

Scott Pioli fired: 3 reasons why things didn't work in Kansas City - Arrowhead Pride

Haley was a problem. Haley was not the problem. The problem was that the line failed Cassel, which led to Cassel failing the team. And, since the fan base was hostile to Cassel from day 1 (The Chiefs have never drafted a QB in the first round, and you go out and get this guy when you've got the number 3 pick in the draft?" was a popular way of saying it), that's what started everything off poorly and what prevented things from getting much better even in 2010. Even Sanchez sucking as bad as he has never mollified the crowd so, when Cassel started getting skittish again in 2011, it was trouble. Had Pioli just gotten that line fixed, Cassel would have been fine, Chiefs fans would have eventually been won over, and Pioli would still have a job today.

The irony is that, in a way, Sanchez has played a part in bringing down 2 GMS. Tannenbaum is gone largely because he took him. Pioli is gone in fair part because he didn't.

Last edited:
:singing: What are you smoking?

Not crack like you.

The right QB can make a good HC a great one. Reid is a good HC and never had a decent QB including McNabb. I dont beleive BB would be winning Championships without Brady.

I have told you 5 times that was not public information. I tools you our came from someone I know. Believe what you want, I don't care.
However, you continue to avoid showing proof of 3 things you said that ARE public knowledge, out would be if they happened.
You may out may not want to believe what I was told in a personal conversation, and I don't care, but you made VERIFIABLE statements, 3 of them, and your refusal to provide verification at this point equates to admitting you made them up. Why is a mystery to me but given your attitude here out makes some sense why you would make things up in an attention seeking ploy.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Nobody seeks more attention here than you with your know - it - all -attitude.

Now youve come here with this preposterous story about Weis. And, you claim BB and Crennel are tight as clams despite 2 other posters besides myself saying that they read there was a conflict at the owners meeting. So, where is link saying that BBs and Crennels relationship has as good as BB and Weis?

Back up your claims or shut up.

Haley was a problem. Haley was not the problem. The problem was that the line failed Cassel, which led to Cassel failing the team. And, since the fan base was hostile to Cassel from day 1 (The Chiefs have never drafted a QB in the first round, and you go out and get this guy when you've got the number 3 pick in the draft?" was a popular way of saying it), that's what started everything off poorly and what prevented things from getting much better even in 2010. Even Sanchez sucking as bad as he has never mollified the crowd so, when Cassel started getting skittish again in 2011, it was trouble. Had Pioli just gotten that line fixed, Cassel would have been fine, Chiefs fans would have eventually been won over, and Pioli would still have a job today.

The irony is that, in a way, Sanchez has played a part in bringing down 2 GMS. Tannenbaum is gone largely because he took him. Pioli is gone in fair part because he didn't.

Interesting point about Mark Sanchez. You never know how it might have turned out for him in a Midwest small market with some bruisers at running back and a different coaching staff. Sanchez came into the NFL with basically one season of big-time football under his belt, same as Cassell.

Interesting point about Mark Sanchez. You never know how it might have turned out for him in a Midwest small market with some bruisers at running back and a different coaching staff. Sanchez came into the NFL with basically one season of big-time football under his belt, same as Cassell.

You also never know how it might have turned out for Sanchez if he hadn't been rushed into things. However, KC's lack of an offensive line wouldn't have helped him very much.

It just seems so staggeringly stupid to me why anyone would waste a pick on a QB when their O-line is terrible. The affect of a porous O-line on a young QB has been seen literally every year.

Is o-line development that hard or was Pioli impatient?

It just seems so staggeringly stupid to me why anyone would waste a pick on a QB when their O-line is terrible. The affect of a porous O-line on a young QB has been seen literally every year.

Is o-line development that hard or was Pioli impatient?

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking that Pioli might have looked at what Scar's been able to do in NE and thought it would be something that the Chiefs could do. He did get some decent/good O-linemen in the draft, but he did it when it was too late for Cassel, and that meant (in hindsight) that it was too late to save his own job.

That doesn't explain the Weis season. Same OL and OL coach (Muir). Sandwiched between two seasons in which the OL was abyssmal. Maybe if Pioli had traded Bowe as he seemingly intended to he could have spent more capital on the OL. But Haley fancied himself a WR's guru and he was going to turn Bowe around. Matt was forced to come out of the gate with Haley screetching in his ear (after Gailey was canned essentially trashing an entire off season of work), nothing dependable at receiver, playing for a guy who was determined not to run the ball. Yet somehow in KC (probably driven by Whitlock's diatribes against Pioli and Cassel) Haley was like the teflon man while the blame stuck primarily on the QB and the guy who brought him in. Even during that off season as Pioli was negotiating a long term deal with a guy who was franchise tagged when they traded for him, Haley stirred the pot with his talk of QB competition between Cassel and Croyle...

Haley alienated guys like Waters and Gonzo out of the gate. In year three he and Cassel were engaging in screaming matches in part because the Haley to Muir to Cassel farce couldn't get plays called and in on time. Not to mention the skill players drafted while Charlie was there couldn't stay on the field. TE Moeaki was lost for the entire 2011 season after being injured in a 4th preseason game in which Haley played his starters throughout. There was never a sense of one voice in control in KC because Pioli and Haley didn't seem to be cut from the same cloth. Haley's connection to the system was pretty tenuous. He was already in the swamp when Parcell's and Co. arrived courtesy of nepotism (his dad was in the FO). They didn't bring him along to NE for a reason. He bounced around after that and beyond gigs in Chicago as a WR coach and Dallas as a passing coordinator and in AZ as an OC who wasn't allowed to call plays until his last few months there under former OC turned HC Wisenhut. About the nicest thing you could have said about him was he was a hothead. Some say he gets credit for developing Romo...whatever that means.

Rumor has it Roethlisberger has his car idling in hopes he get to drive him to the airport after one season together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back