PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Score seems misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The game did not seem as close as the final score to me. I thought we were pretty poor, except for the defense in the second half, which really rallied.

But even so, I thought we were beaten pretty soundly in all 3 phases. Kickoff coverage was horrible, as were special teams in general. The defense was undisciplined at times, and the offense really sputtered. Unlike the announcers, I thought a couple of those screen plays were really well designed and had the potential to totally open things up, but our execution on them was just terrible. Those are timing plays and the timing was bad, and that's simply a matter of practice.

The bottom line, though, in the end, the play of the game was the interception on the first drive. It shifted everything around, giving them the extra possession and forcing us to play catch up. The reality is that teams that are losing -- even by a small margin -- make mistakes in the NFL. We don't play catch up very well. We do play the hold on game well, though.

Losing Harrison hurt, but we still seem to me to be a shut down corner away from being a championship team.

On the flip side, if you think about it, despite the 'dominating' play of the Colts, they weren't really able to seal the deal until the last minute, either.

While this loss stinks, I am confident--not certain, but confident--that should these two teams meet again, the Pats WILL prevail.

I agree. Everything was bad. The coaching was even bad. Why pass like that when you can run the ball for 5-6 a pop. Silly. And our defensive backfield without harrison is terrible. We need to find a replacement for him and fast.

I don't think the score is misleading. The yardage totals were also about even. We just screwed the pooch by turning it over as if posession didn't matter.

I agree that the execution, not the playcalling, was the problem. Also about the first INT, it put us behind behind in the scoring race that was the first half and we were damn lucky to get that 1st down on the 4th down at the end of the half although that bad call balanced out a bunch of BS in the other direction.

We desperately need two #1 picks to be used, and come through, in the defensive backfield. Those guys were used and abused more than a hot and cheap hooker last night.

mosi said:
I agree. Everything was bad. The coaching was even bad. Why pass like that when you can run the ball for 5-6 a pop. Silly. And our defensive backfield without harrison is terrible. We need to find a replacement for him and fast.
We don't even know what happened to him--it certainly didn't look too serious--so can we at least wait a day or two before we call for another rash free agent signing?

Tom Brady had the ball with 2 minutes left with a chance to tie the game. That is close enough for me. In a game where the Pats turned the ball over 5 times to the best offense in the league they had a chance to tie the game at the end.

What more do you want?

ctpatsfan77 said:
We don't even know what happened to him--it certainly didn't look too serious--so can we at least wait a day or two before we call for another rash free agent signing?

No, I am thinking about the long term. Rodney is well into his 30's and may only have a few years left. We need to get another stud safety to fill his mighty big shoes.

PatsFaninAZ said:
The game did not seem as close as the final score to me. I thought we were pretty poor, except for the defense in the second half, which really rallied.

But even so, I thought we were beaten pretty soundly in all 3 phases. Kickoff coverage was horrible, as were special teams in general. The defense was undisciplined at times, and the offense really sputtered. Unlike the announcers, I thought a couple of those screen plays were really well designed and had the potential to totally open things up, but our execution on them was just terrible. Those are timing plays and the timing was bad, and that's simply a matter of practice.

The bottom line, though, in the end, the play of the game was the interception on the first drive. It shifted everything around, giving them the extra possession and forcing us to play catch up. The reality is that teams that are losing -- even by a small margin -- make mistakes in the NFL. We don't play catch up very well. We do play the hold on game well, though.

Losing Harrison hurt, but we still seem to me to be a shut down corner away from being a championship team.
A big corner who could jam wayne or harrison would be nice. That's why it was a shame Rodney got injured and Chad was forced to move inside. Eugene might have a favorable size matchup against Harrison. If they meet a second time I'd like to see both of those wr's jammed periodically throughout the game.

I thought the score was what it was. The game was never out of reach. The Pats had multiple opportunities to tie it up, but they never seized any of these. It was a stinker like the Denver playoff game and the Pittsburg game two years ago. Can't have that many turnovers.

mosi said:
No, I am thinking about the long term. Rodney is well into his 30's and may only have a few years left. We need to get another stud safety to fill his mighty big shoes.

OK. Sorry I misunderstood.

A couple of Vinatraitor shanks helped keep the score down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes