Welcome to PatsFans.com

Scientific Heresy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Nov 2, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A brilliant article. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Thank you for the link.
  3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Glad you enjoyed it. The analysis is applicable to all sorts of situations.
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I didn't read the whole article, but I think I've got the point. a 'lesser' scientist, or person for that matter, will take anything from pure crackpottery to only slightly flawed evidence into his or her heart much more readily if it supports their position than if it refutes their position.

I suppose its good that the author of this thread, this thread and this thread was banned a long time ago:rolleyes: since it seems to me that anyone who thinks any winter snowfall at all is proof positive that MMGW doesn't exist is a perfect example of a crackpot suffering from confirmation bias.
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

The post wre tongue in cheek lampooning those who attribute every heat spell during the summer to MMGW.

Thanks for taking the time to read most of the article.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I doubt Roland Emmerich is going to be as big of a fan of that article as we are. He has made 2 movies based on what the article calls pseudoscience (The Day After Tomorrow and 2012) and has a 3rd coming out soon. I forget what it is titled but it basically gives the whole "William Shakespeare didn't actually write all those plays attributed to him" conspiracy theory. :D

(Actually, I think Roland Emmerich knows full well his own movies are complete nonsensical bullcrap but he makes them because he knows there are millions of idiots stupid enough to actually believe in them)
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  7. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +247 / 3 / -4

"Anonymous," I believe, is the film's title.

I'm pretty sure he makes them because there are millions of people who will find them entertaining, which results in him being paid quite handsomely. I don't think he intends them to be educational or expects people to believe in them.