Welcome to PatsFans.com

Science World Won't Be Sorry to See Bush Go

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Jun 5, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Let's see how the drug companies feel when The Prince takes out the profit motive for developing new drugs.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

AWWWW! Poor drug companies. They've been under sooooo much financial strain!

Is that what you can come up with? Is that what's going to happen? And exactly what drugs have been developed under Bush that have cured anything? And Erectile Dysfunction and high cholesterol don't count because those are not diseases.

I think the point is that the Simian in CHief has been holding back scientific progress by passining stupid laws and creating an overall climate of anti-science by restricting thought and injecting "religiosity" into the process of discovery.
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Drug companies actually have only been so-so as patents have expired allowing generics to take their place. Don't look for a lot of new creation of drugs, though, if companies can't make money on them; it takes a lot of money to create a new drug - the reason our prices are so high is the rest of the world gets them too cheap, we're paying all the R&D costs for future drugs. For our drug prices to go down we need to re-do the agreements on what other countries are paying.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -3

Gee the FDA is getting by with only 2.4 billion Oh the horror....
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

I missed this when I first read it. It hasn't been a strong period for drugs, largely due to 1) massive lawsuits and 2) the previously described problem with socialized medicine (in other countries) and agreements/limits of what they can charge for drugs. This has been a net slowdown on drug R&D and the general Liberal agenda won't help in either case. Nor will Liberals want to give tax incentives to create new drugs. I know, the answer is always "Bush". Well this hasn't been great under Bush but it's been a lot better than what we'd likely see from The Prince - don't know for sure, of course, as he rarely talks in specifics.