Welcome to PatsFans.com

science v. religion

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

I think this flow diagram sums it up nicely.

[​IMG]

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,111 / 3 / -10

Many people don't believe in God because there are many people that do believe in God.

I have always questioned the existence of God and people will be arguing about it until the end of time and never know who is right because there will never be a way to prove it unless Jesus comes back and walks across Lake Michigan, even then they may not believe it, they will probably kill him again.

I am a Borderline Atheist but during the summer around 2AM when I sit out on my beach with a jug of wine and my dog, I look around then I look up and I say to myself "Harry, where did all this sh!t come from".

There is no Scientist now or will there ever be that can answer my one question, that being, "Where Did All This Start" :confused:

If the Scientist says "The Big Bang", then ask him, "where did the big bang come from" he will never be able to answer.

There are only TWO explanations,
    1 There is a God
    2 We were brought here by beings from another world.

If there really is a God, when he created the "Heaven And The Earth" he just didn't do this one silly little Planet, he did the Whole Thing.

I wonder if we will know the truth when our time finally comes to cross over, I'm "dying" to find out, if there is nothing we will never know it though, it will be like going to sleep.

Organized Religion turns me off there is to much "bad sh!t" involved in it and they are always after your money.
    Amen.
    :bricks:

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

Common Ground, imo the problem with Religion is that too many decisions have been made by frustrated, white haired men who are products of small, isolated private socialized societies. If the decision makers were part of the real world with all of its trials, challenges and tribulations things would be much different.

4. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Exactly. Who wrote all the bibles/religious books? Men did of course.

Whilst I believe that there is a god, I dont believe that he takes an active part in our day to day lives or has a "plan" for us. He pretty much set everything up including the laws of nature and let us have at it.

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The human race is 4 million years old. Modern humans showed up around 250, 000 years ago (guessing).

Quantum Physics is a new and rapidly evolving science. Einsteins Unified theory has only been understood by the public for maybe 50 years. Until as recently as 100 years ago, most people took the Creation Story as literal. God created the world and all the animals about 4000 years ago - in six days! Dinosaurs were unknown to have existed until about 150 years ago. About 400 years ago, people just realized that the sun didn't revolve around the earth. Since then, we have learned almost everything we know in just 400 years.

Give us time, we'll figure out what caused the big bang and which planet the aliens who made all this sh!t came from. :rocker: :eat2:

6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,111 / 3 / -10

-----OK :p-----------

7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's the exact thing I would expect a bigoted lowlife scumbag like yourself to come up with here. Now go ahead and censor me you worthless P.O.S.

8. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why would he do that? Your response is hilarious, and proves he's onto something.

9. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wistah,
    Einstein never completed a Unified Theory. A Unified Theory theory would combine quantum mechanics, the study of the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces on a small scale, with relativity, the study of gravity on a large scale. Since his death it's become clear that he was on the wrong track. Now, the best candidates for unifying relativity with the standard model are either String Theory (and the related M-Theory), or Loop Quantum Gravity. Both are quite different from what Einstein had envisioned. If you have a few hours and want to watch something really geeky, but really interesting, check out (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/).

As far as science and religion, I simply don't see the conflict (from science's point of view at least). If there's a God, He clearly created consistent physical laws. Gravity doesn't change because someone prays for it to, and not many fundamentalists argue with gravity. Likewise, whatever else God is credited with (like creation), He could have done with consistent physical laws. Maybe God did create man, but His way of doing it was to evolve man from simpler creatures (which He also created). I think people's heads will spin if they try to take the bible literally. Even if it has an undercurrent of truth, it clearly isn't the whole story on this world. There are no instructions on how to build a computer in the bible, yet by the grace of God, computers have been built and do work. God works in mysterious ways, and I firmly believe people who claim to understand Him, are nothing more than heretics.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sorry, but when another pothead like yourself is heard from, it's hard to take anything you say terribly seriously... :rolleyes:

11. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I write things on this forum for the benefit of the people who want to read it. If you don't want to be convinced, and would rather just hurl insults, that's OK, too. Some people you just can't reach.

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

See, now you're demonstrating a great deal of hypocrisy (which I have all too easily exposed). You criticize me for "hurling insults"... Sure I've been know to throw the occassional insult out there, but let's review...

The original post in this thread is nothing more than a insult. It doesn't add anything, doesn't make any intelligent comment. It is nothing more than a thinkly-veiled attempt to insult organize religion and it's practicioners. So what is the Pujo response when someone hurls bigotry, hatred, intolerance and insults at organized religion..? Well, "he's on to something" according to you...

13. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think we can do it, too.... that is, if the asteroid doesn't get us first.

14. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

People might be insulted by Patter's original post, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. As far as methodology, most religions are very unbending. They start with the dogma and use it to explain reality. That's the antithesis of science.

Religion is like Bill O'Reilly, it never admits it's wrong, instead it just talks louder and louder. My ex-girlfriend, who's family is devoutly Catholic (she is not), got into an argument with her mother about whether it was appropriate to say bad things about one of the priests who had molested boys (this was around the time of Cardinal Law's resignation). Her mother said that because he was a priest, it was wrong to talk negatively about him, no matter what he had done. That kind of thinking (when there's something you don't want to hear, put your fingers in your ears, and go "lalalalalalala") is what makes organized religion not only wrong, but deadly wrong.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, gee, if I wanted to demonstrate how unture his post was, I need go no further than the statement that religion "Ignore contradicting evidence, keep idea forever." I mean, I didn't think anyone in this forum was stupid enough to find that to be a true statement but apparently you are. I sincerely apologize for overestimating your intelligence.

Funny but it sounds to me like you just describe the global warming zealots...

Oh I see... your ex-girlfriend's mother is a moron, so all of organized religion is a sham... yeah, that makes sense.... :rolleyes:

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,111 / 3 / -10

It's still open you know, there could be a God, no Scientist can Prove there isn't.

He may not be an Old Man With A Big White Beard, he could look like Mike Tyson or George Bush but the possibilty of him "Existing" is always there, believing in him does great things for some people and gives them hope and makes them feel good (especially in a fox hole) it also drives some people crazy and causes them to cut peoples heads off and blow up abortion clinics, it also causes some girls to refuse you sex when you are rolling around on top of them down on the banks of the Charles River in the grass.

I have recently noticed that there are a lot of people much wiser and smarter than I am on this forum, tell me what you think on this very important question concerning GOD and his son Jesus H Christ.

WHERE DID THE UNIVERSE COME FROM, WAS IT HERE WHEN GOD CREATED EVERYTHING THAT CREEPS AND CRAWLS, WAS IT HERE WHEN GOD ALMIGHTY CREATED LIGHT AND THEN CALLED IT "DAY"

DOES THE POPE AND BILLY GRAHAM REALLY BELIEVE THAT THIS TINY LITTLE BALL CALLED EARTH IS THE ONLY LITTLE BALL IN THE HUGE UNIVERSE THAT HAS THINGS MOVING AROUND ON IT.

THE NEXT TIME YOU MEET A SCIENTIST ASK HIM, "WHERE THE HELL DID THE UNIVERSE COME FROM"

TELL HIM TO WATCH TWO SEA TURTLES HAVING SEX, THEN ASK HIM, "WHO TOLD THEM TO DO THAT"
    :eek: :bricks: :rocker:

17. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I wish she were the only example!

Some people get good things out of organized religion, and there are very good people within it. Unfortunately the dogma itself is utter crap.

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Exactly! Sicnece tries to answer how this world works, not who's behind it all.

Actually, I happen to be very interested in a science/philosophy called digital physics. It's the idea that the entire universe is computable. I can't really explain it to someone who doesn't have background in computer science (especially automaton theory), but like with any other computer, there are certain questions which would be undecidable. The question of god is one of those - since we are part of this universe, we have no inputs to determine what goes on outside of it.

19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +444 / 11 / -14

Agree with your post here (I do believe in God, but our definitions are inadequate by definition). I think Buckminister Fuller put it well "God is a verb, not a noun". If you believe in God 15B years or 15 seconds it is irrelevant from God's frame of reference.

20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What is the basis for a belief in a god of any kind? Ancient texts? The lack of understanding of some physical phenomenon or two? Fear of loneliness? Questions of life beyond death or even the meaning of life? How do any of these reasons for believing in a god make its existence possible, much less likely or probable? I never understood the justification of the existence of a god or gods based on the fact that it can't be disproven.