Welcome to PatsFans.com

School challenge: Transgender student is age 9

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 7, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I guess the first thing that comes to mind is, how does a 9 year old decide they aren't a boy, or girl? Wouldn't maturity be an issue here?

School challenge: Transgender student is age 9

By Joelle Farrell and John Sullivan

Inquirer Staff Writers

For school officials in Haverford Township, the challenge was daunting: What do you do when a 9-year-old student, with the full support of his parents, decides that he is no longer a boy and instead is a girl?
    Parents of a third-grade student at Chatham Park Elementary School approached the administration on April 16 to ask for help in making a "social transition" for their child.

The Haverford School District consulted experts on transgender children, then sent letters to parents advising them that the guidance counselor would meet with the school's 100 third-grade students to explain why their classmate would now wear girls' clothes and be called by a girl's name.

Some parents objected. Eight called the principal to ask that their child not attend the session, and some posted angry messages on the Haverford Township blog.

"Why is the school introducing this subject to 8- and 9-year-olds?" wrote the parent who started the blog thread, which had been viewed more than 3,000 times as of yesterday. "Why were we not notified sooner. We received the letter today, the discussion at school is tomorrow."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/18543504.html
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Crazy stuff. This should be illegal. I have an 8 and 10 year old boys and, while realizing everyone is different, there is no way in the world they can know they're the wrong sex. Jeez, keep the thing long enough to whack off once and be sure you can do without it :D
  3. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, here's my solution. How about call social services and have the child taken away from negligent parents! My god, how can they support that decision when, like RW says, the child is too young to have any idea what their sexuality is. I mean, a kid can't really know that until they hit sexual maturity. I think at 9 I still thought girls were gross, does that mean my parents should have encouraged me to think of myself as a woman? That would have robbed womankind of perhaps their greatest gift! :rocker:

OK maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but it at least would have robbed ME of a lot of fun!
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

The End Is Near
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Do not believe a latency aged child is capable of this type of decision, the parents sound like absolute idiots and both should face involuntarily sterilization and have their parental rights terminated.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Maybe the kid does think he's/she's not a boy/girl or whatever. I just can't understand how you listen to a 9 year old in such a serious situation. Obviously I'm not there, but from afar, it seems incredibly bizarre. I feel bad for the parents of the other kids in the school. This is yet another example of why we need more options for education.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

A much easier answer, make this system work reasonably... this is an idiotic response to an idiotic situation.