PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schilling coming back for one more year..

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
apparently they are finalizing the deal for one more go round for Curt, while I do not care for him as a person, he is a tremendous asset to our younger pitchers and seems to have helped Beckett...

apparently they are finalizing the deal for one more go round for Curt, while I do not care for him as a person, he is a tremendous asset to our younger pitchers and seems to have helped Beckett...
i love the guy as a person and a player.welcome back curt.

and he is onlly going to cost 8 Mil with a chance for 2 mil in incentives. Nice

Just pending a physical, which I am sure he will pass. I can't believe he is coming back, but especially that they made the deal so fast.

Now thought it is time for us to go get Lowell back, so we can start focusing on other players.

and he is onlly going to cost 8 Mil with a chance for 2 mil in incentives. Nice
the sox now have plenty of pitching for next year .bucholtz lester beckett dice k wakefield tavarez and now schill .sweet :rocker:

Awesome. It seemed obvious that he'd be back and I couldn't think of a good reason to not get this done. While not the Schilling of old he's still pretty good.

The Sox already have six starters for next year (Beckett, Matsuzaka, Schilling, Lester, Buchholz, Wakefield), Tavarez as a mediocre injury replacement, plus minor league filler (Pauley, Hansack, etc.).

They'll need them, with the young guys limited in their innings, the older guys being injury concerns, and the Japanese guy a fatigue concern.

It's an embarrassment of riches and a true advantage that the payroll provides.

And one last thought: nine more wins gives him 225. It's not a nice round number and I figure the 3 championships probably clinched it anyway, but I could see 225 helping when it comes to his HoF credentials.

It's an embarrassment of riches and a true advantage that the payroll provides.
what does payroll have to do with it?bucholtz lester make the mininum .wakefield makes what?4 to 5 mill a year .beckett makes 10 per .any small markett team would be thrilled to pay beckett that much and schill a base of 8 mill.payroll has nothing to do with it .

what does payroll have to do with it?bucholtz lester make the mininum .wakefield makes what?4 to 5 mill a year .beckett makes 10 per .any small markett team would be thrilled to pay beckett that much and schill a base of 8 mill.payroll has nothing to do with it .

The Sox already have 5 starters. A lesser payroll team with 5 starters would spend their limited resources on an area of greater need. Boston can spend 8-13M on Schilling without it affecting their ability to fill other spots on their roster. A lesser payroll team, by giving 8-13M to a sixth starting pitcher, would have to field an inferior player or players at other positions because they wouldn't be able to afford better ones.

Besides, don't forget Daisuke and his 8M. After paying Beckett (10), Matsuzaka (8), and Wake (4), any lesser payroll team relies on low cost youngsters and retreads. That's 22M being paid to three guys, and a team with a 60-80M payroll doesn't want to spend 40% or more on staring pitching.

Schilling is purely a luxury for the Sox, one their payroll allows them to afford. And they're smart to bring him back.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back