PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scheme implications of the Spikes pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a scheme guy, but I've noticed how BB always liked to mess with different formations as a change-up in big games, to deliver something new that opposing coaches don't expect. To do that, he needs 'football players' in the LB and DB positions. He got that this week. He has his speed ILBs in Mayo and Guyton, his thumper and playmaker in Spikes, a pass-rushing OLB in Cunningham and a heady CB in McCourty. That's a lot of possibilities. Instead of pulling Spikes on 3rd down, maybe he pulls a lineman instead. He can send in safeties or CBs in nickel and dime since he's deep at both positions. This is what he was able to do in the SB years and it looks to me like he's stocking up for doing that again.

But I agree with the OP that switching to a 4-3 base D was never likely and less so now.

One more point: last year this was a team that gave up a lot of points in the 4th qtr. Very un-Patriots. These rookies are not the kind of football players that give up when they're down, or when they're up, let an opponent get back in the game .

I will take instinct and playmaker over speed every single time.

Just ask Uncle Al how speed works out for you.

I agree. Your 40 time really means nothing when you playing ILB. It is the ability to read the direction of the play and know where you have to be, which can make up for your lack of speed.

The way I see it, Spikes wasn't playing against inferior competition. If a guy's good enough to be a standout playmaker in the SEC, then he probably knows how to play football. As DaBruinz already said, there were mitigating circumstances surrounding his 40 time, and if he was legitimately *slow*, he wouldn't be able to make all of the plays that he made. I'm just glad that we got a good player and great value with that pick.

On a related note, I was reading Spikes' "Overview" on NFL.com, and it included the following statement:

Spikes is quicker than fast and reacts quickly as plays develop but will need lots of technique work (especially defending the pass) at the next level

"Quicker than fast"??? Whuzzat mean? Is that something that slipped past the proofreader, or is that a scout term or something?

"Quicker than fast"??? Whuzzat mean? Is that something that slipped past the proofreader, or is that a scout term or something?

It means you're fast getting 5 yards to the play, but the guy you beat getting there could beat you in footrace.

It's what Mayo meant when he said "I'm pretty sure I can run faster than Tedy Bruschi, but he still gets to the ballcarrier before I do."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back