PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter thinks Meriweather moves to CB next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I mean is Harrison is limited in coverage, he got killed during the super bowl as well. It's time for the youth movement. Sanders can play SS, Merriweather with better hands is a pretty good FS. It's time to get faster. I bet they mix Harrison in with a lot of run formations, blitz packages. I really don't agree on counting on him to cover anymore and I bet the coaching staff doesn't either.

I think Harrison still has something in the tank, but I do agree that Sanders is a better SS, than FS. Meriweather should develop into a much better FS, too. So, it does make sense to use Sanders in rotation with Harrison, and it would help keep Rodney fresher.

Also, they could use more of their three Safety packages. It was pretty effective in some games last year.

At this point? There are no games in March. Really, I checked! We have SIX months to find 1-2 corners. After all, there is a possiblity that Richardson will be good enough to be our nickel. But call him the #4. We still need TWO corners, and have SIX months to fill the need.

The alternative of moving our starting free safety to corner is just plain silly. If we wanted to try a safety-corner conversion, we would have re-signed Wilson. The reality is that we have a 3-man safety rotation with NO backups. I'm not counting on Andrews or Ventrone for anything but special teams. Given Harrison's age and likely retirement in a year or so, we might be considering ADDING a safety prospect (4th or 5th rounder anyone?). Now is not the time to weaken our safety situation.

Let's focus: We need TWO corners. We need TWO linebackers. We need TWO receivers. We have SIX months to find six players.

Let's give you a possible TWO-MONTH SCENARIO
--------------------------------
1) Sign Law, Surtain or another vet
2) Trade for Shepherd or another vet (or draft an additional corner in the 3rd)
3) Draft defensive backs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (one corner and one safety)
4) Draft an OLB in the first round
5) Sign Haggans or another vet LB
6) Re-sign Seau or other vet LB
7) Re-sign Moss or trade for another WR
8) Re-sign Gaffney or other WR

There are lots and lots of other reasonable possibilities.

I'm not thrilled, but what else are you going to do at this point?

At least it keeps your best players on the field. And i think he could do a decent job. Suddenly not much depth at safety.

I still want an OLB with the first rounder. If they have a poor pass rush next season you could have Deion Sanders and you'd be in trouble.

Meriweather, Sanders, and Harrison will all likely get a lot of reps (if healthy). They can take turns when two safeties are used. All three can play in the dime package. Meriweather (most speed) and Harrison (best pseudo-OLB) are probably the two in the nickel.

What we need are a lot of CBs.

even rodney said meriweather has the worst hands on the team. so why would we even consider him at corner??:confused:
as someone else pointed out, we have plenty of time to find a corner.

even rodney said meriweather has the worst hands on the team. so why would we even consider him at corner??:confused:
as someone else pointed out, we have plenty of time to find a corner.

Asante's hands were abysmal in his first year. It was like he was playing with no fingers.

Not that I'm advocating moving Brandon to CB, but he's got the physique and movement to play there.

I personally would like to take this opportunity to thank Brandon Meriweather for filling a major void on this board. A staple of this board's offseason discussion in recent years has been taking a safety, Eugene Wilson, and moving him to corner. With Geno moving on, it is nice that the kid can fill that role.

Now if we can get someone to fill the "let's cut Kevin Faulk" role, it will be a typical offseason.

I personally would like to take this opportunity to thank Brandon Meriweather for filling a major void on this board. A staple of this board's offseason discussion in recent years has been taking a safety, Eugene Wilson, and moving him to corner. With Geno moving on, it is nice that the kid can fill that role.

Now if we can get someone to fill the "let's cut Kevin Faulk" role, it will be a typical offseason.

:rofl:
so true.

The Pats have a lot of moves to make between now and opening day.

Penciling in a sophomore into the starting corner role is just wild ass guessing. It might turn out to be right, but he has no more idea about this than he does about Moss' status.

This is why Dom Capers was brought in, to fix the defensive backfield and add speed and youth.

You suppose he brought a couple of quick young guys to Foxboro in his pants?

Good grief.

And for the poster who said Rodney's skills were diminishing so he needed to play less, but that that the Pats should be okay with Ty Law at CB...have you seen Ty play in the last year or so?

If you played for the Chiefs and that idiot Edwards you wouldn't look good either.

What about Hank Poteat?

He is not a #1 or 2 CB, but is at least familiar with the system, good for depth.

I hope the Jets pick him back up mainly because of his experience and he would be a cheap sighning.

I hear the sound of distant ... bongoes. :D

You suppose he brought a couple of quick young guys to Foxboro in his pants?

Good grief.

And for the poster who said Rodney's skills were diminishing so he needed to play less, but that that the Pats should be okay with Ty Law at CB...have you seen Ty play in the last year or so?

Football Outsiders had Law and Samuel with identical success rate #s through 12 weeks last season. They were both in the top 10, but the point is, they were equally successful corners, at least to that point in the season, I haven't seen updated #s since. No one wants to acknowledge that. Their eyeballs tell them Samuel is better than Law, but it wasn't backed up by metrics last season at least.

Last edited:
I always thought Merriweather was being groomend for SS? Maybe I assumed wrong. What about him makes him better for FS? Honest question. I am not knocking anyone that is saying he will be a FS. I just want to know what I am missing.

The guy hits hard like a SS. I never bought into the CB thoery. I always assumed it was to improve his coverage skills. (Including his hands.)

I always thought Merriweather was being groomend for SS? Maybe I assumed wrong. What about him makes him better for FS? Honest question. I am not knocking anyone that is saying he will be a FS. I just want to know what I am missing.

The guy hits hard like a SS. I never bought into the CB thoery. I always assumed it was to improve his coverage skills. (Including his hands.)

I believe he has the coverage skills for FS and I think he lacks the size for SS.

Good video overall about losses and how we can come back from them

Thoughts? I mean i wouldnt be thrilled with the idea.

Thanks for posting the link, very informative. Some real good points made by Lombardi and Shefter altough I'm not seeing Meriweather moving to corner. Great point about the tight end, I love Thomas as a pass catcher if healthy but don't know if he is an end line blocker.

One thing my football interest is re-energized. It's amazing how one loss can rip everyone's guts out. This will be BB's greatest challenge to get the team on track mentally. This could conceivably be a year we miss the playoffs all together or win the SB again.

HMMMM!!! Maybe we could trade him to the Houston Texans or the Tennesse Titans for a number 2, draft Darren McFadden and make Laurence Maroney the 3rd down back. HMMMM (sic).

Football Outsiders had Law and Samuel with identical success rate #s through 12 weeks last season. They were both in the top 10, but the point is, they were equally successful corners, at least to that point in the season, I haven't seen updated #s since. No one wants to acknowledge that. Their eyeballs tell them Samuel is better than Law, but it wasn't backed up by metrics last season at least.

LOL...no offense, I don't really think Samuel is that great. He's a really great guesser, and he gets lucky, but the reality is he also gets burned badly trying to make Sportscenter.

This my opinion and only my opinion.

:rocker:

LOL...no offense, I don't really think Samuel is that great. He's a really great guesser, and he gets lucky, but the reality is he also gets burned badly trying to make Sportscenter.

This my opinion and only my opinion.

:rocker:

I agree Samuel is somewhat overrated. My point was Ty Law still has something left in the tank and the difference between Samuel and Law isn't as great as some people are making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back