PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter says Seymour almost ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Shefter says Seymour almost ready

Don't rush him back. We want him for the 2nd half and the play-off's.

I don't get this line of logic, why ease him in if he is close to 100%? Just start rotating him in, the more work he gets the better. He hasn't even practiced yet.

The ideal for me would be:
Give him this week to practice.
Activate him for Washington and ease him in as much as possible.
Start him against Indy.

very very good news !

i hope he will be ready the 4th November...

# 93

Really great news, and strongly disagree with those who think the Pats shouldn't get him in there as soon as possible. These guys aren't machines--he needs some time to get up to game speed and shake the rust off. Fantastic if he could get some snaps this week, rotate in heavily against DC and start against the Colts. By then Harrison should be back running on all cylinders, Thomas should be recovered from his injury, and the D could be scary.

Get him in as soon as he is ready. Would love for him to be in v. the Colts, but the playoffs are more important.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsess...0d5d80350291&template=with-video&confirm=true

From PUP to contributing

Several refreshed players stuck on the Physically Unable to Perform List are capable of providing a mid-season boost to their respective teams.
Kansas City could bring back running back Priest Holmes, Cinncinati can activate running back Chris Perry and Cleveland may add offensive lineman LeCharles Bently.
However, no player is going to provide the type of boost that perennial Pro Bowl defensive lineman Richard Seymour will for New England.

Potential additions

A few teams could benefit from impact players being activated from the PUP list:

R_seymour_101507_sp.jpg
Patriots DE Richard Seymour

A Pro Bowl caliber defensive player, Seymour could make New England's stout defense even better.

P_holmes_101507_sp.jpg
Chiefs RB Priest Holmes

The former All-Pro running back has not played since injuring his neck in Week 7 of the 2005 season.

C_Perry_101507_sp.jpg
Bengals RB Chris Perry

With starter Rudi Johnson banged up, Perry could provide some much-needed depth in the backfield.

L_bentley_101507_sp.jpg
Browns C [URL="http://www.nfl.com/players/lecharlesbentley/profile?id=BEN698647"]LeCharles Bentley[/URL]

Cleveland's young offensive linemen could learn from the veteran center who has not played since 2005.

As if the unbeaten Patriots need it.
Much to the dismay of the Colts, Steelers and rest of the NFL, the rich are about to get richer. Seymour underwent offseason knee surgery, but contradictory to speculation that he would miss the season, those who know him firmly believe that he will play again this season, and he wants to return as soon as possible.
The reason Seymour started the season on the PUP list was because he pushed himself too hard during rehab and set himself back.
But soon enough -- possibly in the next couple of weeks and before the titanic Nov. 4 clash in Indianapolis against the unbeaten Colts -- Seymour is likely to return to the field.
The Patriots rightfully have acted with extreme caution regarding Seymour, knowing that they would rather have him 100 percent for the postseason stretch run than for the start of the regular season.
The defensive line has survived and even thrived without Seymour –- and now it is poised to get even tougher and better.
Seymour is not the only player eligible to leave the PUP list and rejoin the Patriots. New England wide receivers Troy Brown and Chad Jackson also have been on the list, though the Patriots might have more depth at that position now than at any point in franchise history.

I totally disagree. Seymour was dominant down the stretch in 2005 and for most of 2004.

Inuries and slow starts have hampered him, but when he is 100% he is the same guy he ever was. Which is why I totally agreed with NE putting him on PUP.

Right, but he hasn't been 100% since 2003 or early 2004. Since then he's had multiple knee injuries plus that elbow injury he played with most of last year.

Down the stretch in 2005, sure, as the entire defense was following the brutal 2005 start. But Box and I both noted that Seymour wasn't shedding as many blocks in 2006 as he was in 2005, and then there was that whole debacle on why Sey was voted to the Pro Bowl over Warren.

I'm not saying that Seymour's play has declined in any way. His knees are pretty well beaten up, and it seems he's had a half dozen surgeries in the past few years.

Who's to say Sey's going to be 100% healthy if he comes back in the next few weeks? He missed 17 of 23 practices in 2006 because of injury, and 23 of 23 practices in 2007. I just can't see him magically coming back and being the 2003 Seymour right away. If they give him a couple weeks of practice to get his feet back under him, that brings us to early November. So by the time he's fully back in the swing of things it will be December.

If it were 2003 or 2004, I'd easily say Sey would be in the Top 3 or Top 5 of d-linemen in the league. I just can't say that anymore. Probably more like Top 10. There's just been so many damn injuries for the guy. He's in his 6th NFL season already, 28 years old, and has only had a fully healthy season once, in 2002.

Right, but he hasn't been 100% since 2003 or early 2004. Since then he's had multiple knee injuries plus that elbow injury he played with most of last year.

Down the stretch in 2005, sure, as the entire defense was following the brutal 2005 start. But Box and I both noted that Seymour wasn't shedding as many blocks in 2006 as he was in 2005, and then there was that whole debacle on why Sey was voted to the Pro Bowl over Warren.

I'm not saying that Seymour's play has declined in any way. His knees are pretty well beaten up, and it seems he's had a half dozen surgeries in the past few years.

Who's to say Sey's going to be 100% healthy if he comes back in the next few weeks? He missed 17 of 23 practices in 2006 because of injury, and 23 of 23 practices in 2007. I just can't see him magically coming back and being the 2003 Seymour right away. If they give him a couple weeks of practice to get his feet back under him, that brings us to early November. So by the time he's fully back in the swing of things it will be December.

If it were 2003 or 2004, I'd easily say Sey would be in the Top 3 or Top 5 of d-linemen in the league. I just can't say that anymore. Probably more like Top 10. There's just been so many damn injuries for the guy. He's in his 6th NFL season already, 28 years old, and has only had a fully healthy season once, in 2002.

We don't really disagree all that much. You just think that 2006 is a continuation in a the dwonward progression while I think that 2006 was a year where Seymour played more hurt than we realized and he will be much better this year. I agree that he has had quite a few injuries, but I think that some of them are recurring issues where the team or Richard tried to do too much, too soon. I think that what both of us noticed is the main reason why NE has taken their time with Seymour this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye