PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Revis will go to where best deal is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revis' first choice this offseason was the Jets
Part of me wonders though if it was mainly because of Rex, I wonder if he'd still have as much interest going there if Rex is gone..

Didn't Revis himself say he doesn't need to be the highest paid corner, just in the ballpark with the best?

As a side note, poor Revis, not used to playing past week 17.... ugh.... all that extra work... that's bull$hit! ;)

I thought it was pretty well known his preference this season was to sign with the Jets who didn't make an offer.

There has never been one shred of evidence to suggest that it even remotely true. The artcle in the NY tabloids that triggered all of that was an unsourced report that Revis' agent contacted the Jets to gauge their interest in bidding on his services. Somehow, this translated into the Jets being his "first choice". I'm sure Revis' agent made similar overtures to many teams in the NFL as his client appeared to be headed to free agency.

This is a perfect example of a nothing-burger in the media somehow taking on a life as the gospel truth far beyond what the report even suggested.

Oh, and the Schefter report on 'EEI is a big nothing-burger, too. It's simply Schefter rehashing the obvious fact that Revis has always sought to play for top dollar. Duh...

There has never been one shred of evidence to suggest that it even remotely true. The artcle in the NY tabloids that triggered all of that was an unsourced report that Revis' agent contacted the Jets to gauge their interest in bidding on his services. Somehow, this translated into the Jets being his "first choice". I'm sure Revis' agent made similar overtures to many teams in the NFL as his client appeared to be headed to free agency.

This is a perfect example of a nothing-burger in the media somehow taking on a life as the gospel truth far beyond what the report even suggested.

The Jets did talk to Revis' camp today. Conversation initiated by the Revis side, trying to see if there is any interest from #nyj

https://twitter.com/BrianCoz/status/443902293315166208

Before Revis was cut:

Cornerback Darrelle Revis would “love” to come back to the Jets and to play for coach Rex Ryan again, according to a source. The Buccaneers are expected to either trade or release Revis by 4 p.m. Wednesday. If no trade is worked out, Revis will be a free agent.

The source emphasized Revis never wanted to leave New York and always said he wanted to be a Jet for the rest of his career. The Jets were unwilling to pay Revis the $16 million per year he was looking for and traded him to Tampa Bay last April.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/11/revis-id-love-to-be-a-jet-again/

Afterwards:

The Jets were reluctant to bring Revis back after all of the drama that surrounded his six years with the team through contract holdouts and eventually the trade that sent him to Tampa Bay.

Sources said Tuesday Revis would love to return to the Jets and play for Ryan again. A team source said Ryan “absolutely” wanted Revis, but there was a lot of uncertainty high up in the organization whether the Jets wanted to go down the Revis road again.

As soon as Revis became available, there was talk of him landing with the Patriots. That talk picked up when the Patriots lost top cornerback Aqib Talib to the Broncos.

“If the Jets don’t do it, they know who will,” a league source said Tuesday night, referring to the Pats.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/12/love-for-jets-means-nothing-as-revis-signs-with-patriots/

So, yes, there is such evidence.

Last edited:
I like the fact that if the Pats want Revis they have him under contract for another year, even though it would end up being a very large investment. He's worth it.

I don't think Revis automatically goes for the best offer.... if the Jaguars for example were to offer him 5%-10% more than us, you think he'd go to that bottom feeder joke of a club for that extra 5%? I agree, money talks, but you also have to take into consideration of where you are going to play... especially after you have just spent a year playing with the GOAT and the #1 seed in the AFC.

Revis wants to see $$$$ signs, but I'm sure he also wants a ring.

What happens if he gets his ring this year? I think that gives him even more motivation to just chase the money at that point. I'm sure he'll wanna stay in new england, but ONLY if the money is right.... And by right I mean the best offer out there.

Schefter is annoying. I could care less about his opinion.
That means you care about his opinion.

I've found him annoying as well, though fairly credible most of the time.

Where is the shred of evidence that the Jets were Revis' first choice?

I'm not seeing it there. Sure, "he'd love to return to the Jets". What else is his agent going to say when asking the Jets if they want to make the biggest offer? "Uh, listen, my client really hates your team doesn't really want to play for you, but would you be interested in offering a 2-year, $32 million deal?"

Like I said, those NY tabloid articles were a big nothing-burger.

The stuff was dumped to the tabloids after the fact, to make the Jets look like fools for not even wanting to talk turkey with Revis. The only question is whether the dump came from Revis' agent or Rex Ryan. In context, it looks like it was probably from Rexy saying that Revis wanted to come back to the Jets.

the pats will pay market value if you are one of the Elites at your position and he is but is paying a 30 year old CB 11 plus million over a 3 to 4 year contract a good move ? there are guys like Jason Pierre-Paul, Ndamukong Suh, Justin Houston, Greg Hardy and Mike Iupati, that could hit the market all younger then Revis and IMO would have just as big if not a bigger impact on the team and in the same price range as Revis,

its just a dream but think about it you cut Wilfork who at 34 may get cut anyways and let revis go and add Suh next to jones on the DL and you still got the money to bring back McCourty and Ayers with Browner and add a CB and G in the first and 2th round

Where is the shred of evidence that the Jets were Revis' first choice?

I'm not seeing it there. Sure, "he'd love to return to the Jets". What else is his agent going to say when asking the Jets if they want to make the biggest offer? "Uh, listen, my client really hates your team doesn't really want to play for you, but would you be interested in offering a 2-year, $32 million deal?"

Like I said, those NY tabloid articles were a big nothing-burger.

The stuff was dumped to the tabloids after the fact, to make the Jets look like fools for not even wanting to talk turkey with Revis. The only question is whether the dump came from Revis' agent or Rex Ryan. In context, it looks like it was probably from Rexy saying that Revis wanted to come back to the Jets.

This is a problem with you using a word (evidence) incorrectly. It's not a problem with other people's giving you examples, and it's not a problem with the New York Post.

Also, given that I pointed out one example each from before, during and after, your "stuff dumped..." line isn't even remotely correct.

the pats will pay market value if you are one of the Elites at your position and he is but is paying a 30 year old CB 11 plus million over a 3 to 4 year contract a good move ? there are guys like Jason Pierre-Paul, Ndamukong Suh, Justin Houston, Greg Hardy and Mike Iupati, that could hit the market all younger then Revis and IMO would have just as big if not a bigger impact on the team and in the same price range as Revis,

its just a dream but think about it you cut Wilfork who at 34 may get cut anyways and let revis go and add Suh next to jones on the DL and you still got the money to bring back McCourty and Ayers with Browner and add a CB and G in the first and 2th round

In football, there are three named positions.....franchise QB, franchise LT, shutdown CB.

The problem with your thesis is that none of those guys mentioned are remotely elite as Revis and none are shut down corners

BB pays top dollar for rare elite talent.......Revis is that......these others guys are not.

Besides all those other guys have character and medical issues.

In other words, you can't point to any evidence in media reports that the Jets were Revis' first choice, so you attack my use of the word "evidence".

Note that even the nothing-burger reports were from unnamed "sources", hardly definitive stuff under the best of circumstances.

But, now, this tabloid gossip has evolved to the status of widely known "fact" that the Jets were definitely Revis "first choice".

I don't see it.

CBs are relatively easy to gameplan around, in that you can simply not throw at them. Which basically just means that, if the rest of your defense sucks, a shutdown corner isn't going to do you nearly as much god as, say, an elite DE. But as long as the rest of the D around the CB is also good--thus forcing opposing OCs to essentially abandon half the field and still throw against strength on the other side--a guy like Revis is worth the money IMO.

If the rest of the defense sucks...how exactly does an "elite" DE take over a game?

JJ Watt is way beyond all world yet Houston goes 2-14......go figure......

Your problem is you are part of the cabal at patsfans.com that vastly overrate pass rushers.

A true shutdown corner is vastly more valuable than any pass rusher.

The rest of the secondary does not have to as good because the rest of the offensive skill positions are not as good.

A guy who worked for the Patriots isn't going to know more about what Revis' plans are contract-wise and Schefter is probably the most connected guy in the NFL.

The guy in the video didn't even know Revis' deal for next year. He said that it was a "$25 million option". That's not correct. It's $20 million in new money for 2015. The $5 million in amortizable bonus hits the Patriots' cap whether or not Revis is on the team. A minor point, but the media pundit is hardly dialed into the Pats' financial situation viz-a-viz Revis.

My guess is that both the Pats and Revis would like to reach an agreement on an extension at market price and will negotiate in good faith in an attempt to get a deal done. That, of course, is no guarantee.

I just think that the market has been so firmly established that both sides should have decent feel for "market price". I can't imagine the Pats would make lowball offers significantly under that price if they are trying to keep Revis and, likewise, I can't see Revis making demands significantly above that price if he wants to do a deal with the Pats.

I think it is true that Revis won't sign for less than a top of the market deal. I think it is probable that he also really likes playing for the Patriots and Bill Belichick.

In football, there are three named positions.....franchise QB, franchise LT, shutdown CB.

The problem with your thesis is that none of those guys mentioned are remotely elite as Revis and none are shut down corners

BB pays top dollar for rare elite talent.......Revis is that......these others guys are not.

Besides all those other guys have character and medical issues.

In modern pass happy NFL, I'd also add un-blockable DL.

Some comments on the comments:

1. Everything written right now by ANYONE is just pure speculation. Talking to the "usual sources" (meaning Revis' agents and entourage) isn't going to reveal anything substantive. They aren't going to say anything that will lessen his bargaining position. Talking to sources within the organization....well are you kidding. You are more likely to get this week's nuclear launch codes, than any info worthwhile from the Route 1 Kremlin. In the end, no one has a better or more informed opinion than YOURS.

2. In the end Revis WILL get paid. Think about it. The Pats "low ball" "team friendly" offer is likely to be in excess of $12MM/yr, with over 60% guaranteed. THAT's his downside. His upside is in the $16MM/yr range, and if he were 27/28, I'd be thrilled to give it to him, but he isn't. So the reality, IMHO, is something in the $14MM/yr range from the Pats.

3. The other part of the reality is that I wouldn't be shocked if he gets that $16MM/yr offer from some other team. THEN we will find out if Revis truly is "all about the money". Because he will have to decide if a "measly" $2MM/yr is worth all the benefits of playing in NE

4. In other words, is it worth about 10% more money vs playing in a sound organization, make the playoffs every year, play on a defense that should be even better next year (and so should the offense), a good locker room., and brand yourself as a winning team player. He would be like a reverse Micheal Haynes, playing for mostly crap NE teams, and ending his career winning superbowls with the Raiders.

5. It should be noted that should Revis leave, what we'd have left (Browner, Dennard, Ryan, Arrington, Butler, etc) wouldn't be as good a secondary as with him, but it would be a good deal better and deeper than most of the CB groups we've had here since 2007 .

6. Patsfan 82 made a very interesting observation I hadn't considered. If the Pats are willing to commit 14MM/ for Revis and we don't get him, how much worse would the defense be if they spent a bit lless and picked up a Suh, Hardy, JPP, or Houston instead.

With Mayo returning, and Hightower and Collins likely to be even better next year a Suh, Hardy, or JPP would make the DL that already will have Jones, Wilfolk, and Easley a formidable unit (of course, I'm assuming just a bit about Easley's potential here)

7. The point of #6 is to speculate if the so called Revis money is spent on a real impact player not named Revis, to what degree will the defense be better or worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back