Schefter: QBs Tommy Maddox & Todd Bowman workout for Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
qbert said:
This is utterly laughable.
Have you actually seen him play?

Culpepper? Yeah I agree.

Harrington isn't much better.

That's why I suspect that the Dolphins are taking a long hard look at the veteran QB market, coincidentally at the same time the Patriots are too (for no apparent reason).

So if you can get anywhere near what Maddox did when he was a starter in 2002/2003 - 3000 yards passing and 20 TDs you take a serious look at that player.

That's looking like a small but significant upgrade if you're the Miami Dolphins right now, with 2 guys on the roster who both maxed out at a QB rating of about 70 in recent years, and just can't seem to find a way to win.

JoeSixPat said:
Culpepper? Yeah I agree.

Harrington isn't much better.

That's why I suspect that the Dolphins are taking a long hard look at the veteran QB market, coincidentally at the same time the Patriots are too (for no apparent reason).

So if you can get anywhere near what Maddox did when he was a starter in 2002/2003 - 3000 yards passing and 20 TDs you take a serious look at that player.

That's looking like a small but significant upgrade if you're the Miami Dolphins right now, with 2 guys on the roster who both maxed out at a QB rating of about 70 in recent years, and just can't seem to find a way to win.

I think his remark was directed at Maddox--"have you seen him play"! That was my take anyway! I hope everyone's healthy!

mtbykr said:
I think his remark was directed at Maddox--"have you seen him play"! That was my take anyway! I hope everyone's healthy!

Maddox? I don't think anyone's seen him play this year, have they?

I don't think he played much last year either, although I remember he did come into a game when Rothelisberger hurt his knee and had a fumble and INT and the Steelers lost to the Jags.

But I don't think he's the only QB to have thrown an INT or fumble to lose a game in recent history - and as a veteran you're going to have those games.

I suppose an untested rookie wouldn't have such black marks on their resume but then again, they're rookies, arent't they?

So going back to when he was a consistent starter before they drafted Rothelisberger, Maddox's play looked decent enough to me - maybe I'm missing something though.

JoeSixPat said:
Maddox? I don't think anyone's seen him play this year, have they?

I don't think he played much last year either, although I remember he did come into a game when Rothelisberger hurt his knee and had a fumble and INT and the Steelers lost to the Jags.

But I don't think he's the only QB to have thrown an INT or fumble to lose a game in recent history - and as a veteran you're going to have those games.

I suppose an untested rookie wouldn't have such black marks on their resume but then again, they're rookies, arent't they?

So going back to when he was a consistent starter before they drafted Rothelisberger, Maddox's play looked decent enough to me - maybe I'm missing something though.

I've watched every game snap Maddox took in the last 4 years, and the difference between Maddox circa 2003 and everything after that time is atrocious. There is a reason no one signed him as a #3 QB or even invited him to camp this year. He is worse than Jeff George on his worst days, and moreover, is a huge d*ck.

Maddox has become a walking turnover machine. He fumbles balls, telegraphs passes, completes less than 50% of his throws by skipping them on the ground or sailing them high, enjoys fetal spooning on the ground w/ the football whenever a whiff of a pass rush gets to him, and has zero mobility. He has thrown his teammates under the bus when he fails. He single-handedly lost two games for the Steelers last year, and that is no exaggeration. Every other pro personnel director in the league seems to have gotten the drift. The only worth Maddox has is to pick his brain for Steelers playbook. Allowing him to go to the Dolphins or any other division team would actually benefit the Pats. Sign a rookie QB, sign Shaun King, get someone from NFL Europe or the CFL.... any of those choices would be better than Maddox.

Not that I have any strong opinions on this particular topic.

Last edited:
qbert said:
I've watched every game snap Maddox took in the last 4 years, and the difference between Maddox circa 2003 and everything after that time is atrocious. There is a reason no one signed him as a #3 QB or even invited him to camp this year. He is worse than Jeff George on his worst days, and moreover, is a huge d*ck.

Maddox has become a walking turnover machine. He fumbles balls, telegraphs passes, completes less than 50% of his throws by skipping them on the ground or sailing them high, enjoys fetal spooning on the ground w/ the football whenever a whiff of a pass rush gets to him, and has zero mobility. He has thrown his teammates under the bus when he fails. He single-handedly lost two games for the Steelers last year, and that is no exaggeration. Every other pro personnel director in the league seems to have gotten the drift. The only worth Maddox has is to pick his brain for Steelers playbook. Allowing him to go to the Dolphins or any other division team would actually benefit the Pats. Sign a rookie QB, sign Shaun King, get someone from NFL Europe or the CFL.... any of those choices would be better than Maddox.

Not that I have any strong opinions on this particular topic.

OK - you've definately watched him more than me.

I guess Bill Belichick must just be a really poor judge of football talent to have this guy in for a tryout, huh?

JoeSixPat said:
OK - you've definately watched him more than me.

I guess Bill Belichick must just be a really poor judge of football talent to have this guy in for a tryout, huh?

Do not slander the Belichick, even for the purposes of sarcasm. It may mislead others to believe that the Belichick may be questioned. The Belichick is above all criticism. Chad Scott was a GOOD signing of a talented football player. So was Duane Starks.

Also you must make NO mention of Belichick's personal life or the fact that he coached the Cleveland Browns at one time. These facts simply do not matter when it is obvious that the path of the Belichick is the one true path.

To those of you saying someone is needed for practice reps or scout QB, did I miss a transaction, because that is JT O'Sullivan's purpose on the practice squad. I haven't seen anything to indicate he has been released or injured.

Weishuhn said:
To those of you saying someone is needed for practice reps or scout QB, did I miss a transaction, because that is JT O'Sullivan's purpose on the practice squad. I haven't seen anything to indicate he has been released or injured.

true, but perhaps O'sullivan isn't fitting in and Maddox could be an upgrade??

Or perhaps they want to carry a 3rd QB after all...which might have something to do with the overall composition/evolution of the roster??

12, as always, is hanging in there...they could chop off his arm and he'd stick it back in, pop a few vicodin, and call it a flesh wound. We know he's not impeded by pain: SEPARATED SHOULDERS (02), yes Donovan, HERNIAS (05), yes Ben, FEVERS (prior to the coldest game in Pittsburgh history), and yes Ben, APPENDECTOMIES (as Wolves' QB).

Of course a few more "free rushers" could stress the limits of this principle...who can blame them for considering scenarios?

And even if an injured brady is still your best chance to win, would the coaches bench him in October to ensure he's recovered by January?...if necessary, absolutely! I guarantee you one thing, even if Tom is hurt, that's not showing up right now...the "inefficiency" is rather a confluence of three huge forces (in order of significance):
a: a shift to the third phase of the Pats offense (01-03 phase, 04 phase: real ground game, play action, deep ball introduction, and now the '06 phase: 2-TE, platoon back, etc.)

b: new inexperienced players

c: the genuine shock of losing the twig for good (neither he nor BB saw that coming until the 11th hour -- just trust me)
things will click in time...but we need to be patient...we will lose games along the way...but there's just too much talent on this O for things not to come together by the end of this season.

After hearing Herm Edwards admit that losing his QB was "the farthest thing from my mind" (even AFTER his experience last season) -- I thank God we have a staff which actually considers things like, you know, CONTINGENCY PLANS.

the names are admittedly strange, but nothing this FO does can ever surprise me...but again, we should probably be talking about JT O'Sullivan here. I have no enlightening comparisons/evaluations to offer and defer to your judgment on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down