PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Public appology broke down Mankins deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
uh..it's both

This is the entertainment business.

You don't work in the entertainment business. Kraft has fans to appease.

Kraft's ego is not my concern. I don't care.

Law said much worse about Belichick. you think Belichick cares?

He cares about winning.

Look friend. Entertainment, Retail, Manufacturing.....it's all the same. All big companies have stockholders and Boards of Directors to appease, but in any organization when you publically trash the CEO or owner, or even just within the organization, if you were given the opportunity to make it right and move forward, one would have to be silly to think that you wouldn't have to apologize at the same level you criticized.

I have no problem with Mr. Kraft asking for that.

And Law was subsequently rewarded with a big fat contract?????

Refresh my memory, how'd that turn out?

It ended with Belichick wooing him to return to New England...no apology necessary

First off, when did I mention Moss? I didn't so don't try to bring up anything that someone else said about Moss as an arguement againt what I'm saying about Mankins.

You didn't need to. I was making a point about the sharp contrast in opinions on two similar issues. The lack of consistency between the two threads is almost laughable.

Next, when a newspaper PUBLICALLY prints something untrue do they privately apologize to the person or do they PUBLICALLY print a retraction?

So now you're comparing how Kraft runs this team with how a newspaper is run? Needless to say that's a failure in logic. Newspapers need to print public retractions. Team owners, especially ones with the excellent business history that Kraft has, don't NEED to take it public. In doing so, Kraft brought himself down to Mankins' level.

If someone publically talk smack about you, harming your reputation, why would a private apology suffice?

Maybe because doing these things in private? Because that's typically what the "Patriot Way" has been all about? Because Mankins had already apologized in person and originally had Kraft's blessing on the issue? Should I keep going?

Mankins could have made s broad statement like drakehead wrote and that would have been fine.

Why should he have done that when a personal apology should have sufficed?

Why does anyone give this story any credence? Is anyone on the record about this one way or other? I didn't thunk so.

How about we all agree not to talk about Mankins until he comes back to the team? I'm with BB on this one. I'm interested in the Patriots. Mankins is currently not a Patriot ergo I'm not interested.

You didn't need to. I was making a point about the sharp contrast in opinions on two similar issues. The lack of consistency between the two threads is almost laughable.

Theres posters on both sides of the issue in each thread, not sure why you keep tying them together. If an individual is inconsistent I see your point but theres debate on both sides in each thread.

It ended with Belichick wooing him to return to New England...no apology necessary

Revisionist history...Bill did what he always does, he publicly ignored him. He had no reason to woo him. Ty had several million reasons to show up at TC as scheduled so he could feed his family. When that season ended Ty rolled by Bill's office in his wheelchair and asked to be released. Bill did.

Later that summer as he limped around the league a FA and found few takers for a gimpy CB who couldn't run in camp, Ty checked in with coach and then made sure Herm Edwards knew they had buried the hatchet...sort of. Ultimately he signed with the JETS for about $10 more than we were willing to pay in real money. That same scenario was replayed the following season. Over 4 years bounced between NY and KC and NY he ended up making exactly what we'd insulted him by offering in a required 2 year extension to restructure the remaining two years on his old deal...4/$24M.

Bill doesn't care what they call him as long as they do their job and don't create or encourage discontent in his place of work. Ty always did his job and helped Bill win a couple of rings, and be could care less what anyone but Ty Law made. Bill cares what they call his boss because his boss cares, so that creates discontent in his place of work...

So now you're comparing how Kraft runs this team with how a newspaper is run? Needless to say that's a failure in logic. Newspapers need to print public retractions. Team owners, especially ones with the excellent business history that Kraft has, don't NEED to take it public. In doing so, Kraft brought himself down to Mankins' level.

Maybe because doing these things in private? Because that's typically what the "Patriot Way" has been all about? Because Mankins had already apologized in person and originally had Kraft's blessing on the issue? Should I keep going?

Why should he have done that when a personal apology should have sufficed?

I remember once when Bill made a mistake and embarassed Kraft and he had to apologize in public and private and public and statements... Then Robert gave him a new contract...

You should be a mod, Mo. I agree with your takes 99% of the time.You're intelligent, level headed AND obviously a true die hard...nice juggling act. I disagree with your take on Moss and I prefer not to argue it.Let's just say I thought he was a flake long before he got here, I was paranoid that he would live up to those Oakland years and I never trusted the notion that putting on a Pats uni would change anything.He's been, to put it succinctly, a HUGE surprise.I never liked Dillon's attitude either...so what?...he left just like he came ,BUT we,as Pats fans,KNOW the integral part he played in our championship runs. I'm willing to admit that even though I'm convinced Terrell Owens is a clinical narcissist, and I could never stand him,I STILL would accept his presence on this team, if BB thought he would produce. Am I a hypocrite? Whatever...I've spent decades watching MY favorite football team always fall short because the ownership was more interested in good press than good players.

The day the hand picked successor to King Bill Parcells turned down the rite of NY succession and came HERE amidst a firestorm of unbridled hatred and animosity to coach OUR team was the day I became a believer...and a decade later a huge percentage of fans nationwide STILL hate it. So Randy can do what he wants as far as I'm concerned...and years from now when he returns as an aged,former veteran of these great Patriot teams,I will probably ask him for the first autograph I've EVER asked anyone for in my life.

You know, a couple of years ago they asked Grogs what he thought about the Pats getting Moss....he just laughed like they were all morons...THAT will always be good enough for me.

Why the hell does Kraft need a personal and public apology from Mankins. If I were Mankins I would be pissed off too.

the ownership was more interested in good press than good players.

True. You'll never win in Boston if you care about good press. You can win 3 SBs, go 16-0, and the media still takes a **** on you with glee.

The Patriots are trying to take the strategic stance that negotiating with them in public is never allowed to (be seen to) work.

That's their right.

Being TOTALLY unbending from that would surely be stupid, but there's plenty of evidence they don't go to that extreme.

OK, Kontra, give us 1 (one) example of an owner rewarding a player with $40 million weeks after being called a liar by him in the press.

He's signing the paycheck Just as another poster challenged earler, go to work tomorrow use a bullhorn to slander your boss, then ask for a raise if you apologize in private.

Putting aside that this is likely nothing but slimy, less than truthful agent tactics and speak on the topic: It's borderline shocking how people don't get the business principle. You don't call the big boss a liar to the mass media and expect positive negotiations much less to get rewarded. The big boss simply cannot allow that to stand. The perception and the precedent is contrary to good business (especially a business that is so much in the public eye). Kraft is a guy who, when he speaks publicly, talks about how much his word means. To then turn around and reward a guy who called him a "liar" to the mass media simply cannot be done. This is not a situation that allows for people's wish of 'oh just forget it and man up.... because we want a good player back". For those of you who believe that, consider a career in politics over business management :).
Forget the apology request after the contract, Mankins would have been wise to come out the very next day after the "liar" comment and publicly apologize. Something along the lines of "love the organization, the players, the coaches, the owner. I have played my heart out here and will play my heart out here if I get the chance. But I feel I am worth X. If the organization doesn't feel that way, I greatly appreciate what they did for me...blah blah blah". I almost have to believe that Mankins has wanted out of the Patriots for some time....because the liar comment was so counter productive to getting a contract. I am perplexed by an agent who didn't recognize this and fix it right away -- especially given the Patriots past unwillingness (that precedent thing again) to bargain with conspicuously public malcontents.
The Patriots are well established hard negotiators. How wise that has been at times is up for debate, however, that is how they do business. They value every cap dollar. How in the hell did his agent not realize this well established fact? How in the hell did he not know to keep it above board in the press, use what tactics are available (like holding out), wear down the Patriots into the best contract offer possible, consider the value of agreeing to it, then either take it or do what you have to do to get to free agency? Again, it is almost like they always wanted off the Patriots.....either that or it's total amateur hour at the Mankins' business office.

either that or it's total amateur hour at the Mankins' business office.

no amateurs out there in rural Sacramento roping calves...no sir....New Englanders are rubes...and LIARS...and...well...NOT sub 70 IQ stupid

either that or it's total amateur hour at the Mankins' business office.

no amateurs out there in rural Sacramento roping calves...no sir....New Englanders are rubes...and LIARS...and...well...NOT sub 70 IQ stupid

LOL, funny. But I gotta tell ya, believe it or not, Sacramento would be a big step up. I believe LM is from/lives in Mariposa. I've been to Mariposa (about 3 hours from where I live).The only big town nearby is actually Fresno (about an hour and a half away) -- and there is nothing in between but trees and grass. Mariposa would be along the lines of the town in the movie Doc Hollywood.

On a side note, if anyone from NE is visiting Yosemite, Mariposa is actually a great little town to visit or stay in when doing that (I prefer it to staying in the Park).

I've been all over the world, bro...I'm from R.I....most of these morons don't even know it's a state out there. We have a die hard Australian fan who can attest the Jets are a non entity on the other side of the world. We have arguably the greatest NFL fan in league history, Patjew, who actually tried, like Michael Corleone, to escape this board and our insanity...only to be drawn back in because, well....that's what a greatest NFL fan in history does. We have Sooners and Canadians and Brits and Euros and Italians by the spaghetti bowl full. What do the Jets have? A few thousand refugees from 1 Million B.C. that inhabit a Jersey swamp that glows in the dark.

I rest my case.

Actually, accepting a private apology and then calling the guy back and demanding that he apologize in front of the media (you know, the media which the team typically doesn't care about in regards to their opinions) as well is a magnificent recipe for destroying a locker room and an organization.

Again...

Moss airing dirty laundry to the media = bad.
Kraft airing dirty laundry to the media = good

Excellent use of logic and reasoning here.
Not that I totally agree with your point of view. but there is a lot of sense in this comment. If and I say IF a private apology was accepted to come back 90 mins and wipe Logans nose in it like a Puppy you are trying to house train reflects badly.

Even If Logan dissed publicly, a private apology that is accepted should be it.

Last edited:

My reaction to your incredibly wrong statement is exactly what MoLewisRocks wrote, plus:
Read this slowly: There was N-O N-E-W C-O-N-T-R-A-C-T from the New England Patriotsfor his demands.

Belichick "wooing"?????? Are you kidding me?

Last edited:
I was listening to Borges go on about this last night.

If someone who worked FOR Borges ever said **** in public that called Borges' integrity into question what do you think Borges would do?

He would bury the guy. As a businessman Kraft values the perception of his integrity as much as Borges.

Honestly I don't really have a problem with it. Mankins was man enough to voice his opinions to the public now he should either be man enough to publically retracted the statement or not sign with the Patriots out of principle.

If Logan still doubts Kraft's integrity but takes the money anyways I have lost some respect for him. If he doesn't doubt Kraft's integrity then an apology should be a no-brainer.

the whole thing reeks of hypocrisy given the pats FO desire for privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye