Schefter: Predict's Cassel will be looking for a Aaron Rodgers type deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
ProFootballTalk.com - Rumor Mill

Adam Schefter of NFL Network predicts that Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel will be looking for a contract that falls in the six-year, $65 million range once Cassel hits free agency in March.

PS: I forgot to put Schefter "predicts" on the thread title. Mods you can fix it if you'd like to.

Last edited:
Re: Schefter: Cassel will be looking for a Aaron Rodgers type deal

If he keeps playing like this and a team is willing to pay that then he's definitely Franchise and Tradeable. Keep it up, Matty.

PS: I forgot to put Schefter "predicts" on the thread title. Mods you can fix it if you'd like to.

On the topic list, just double click under your thread title and you will be able to edit it.

If he keeps playing like this and a team is willing to pay that then he's definitely Franchise and Tradeable. Keep it up, Matty.

To an NFC team and the Pats can get something. Work the trade out before for to a team that really wants him and then clear the cap space. Win win for all parties. Matt gets the $ and a starting gig, the Pats get something in return and some team gets starting QB...

Last edited:

To an NFC team and the Pats can get something. Work the trade out before for to a team that really wants him and then clear the cap space. Win win for all parties. Matt gets the $ and a starting gig, the Pats get something in return and some team gets starting QB...

are they allowed to do that?

are they allowed to do that?
Of course they are. They Franchise him then trade him while tagged and the player signs the new deal once he's been traded. It happens once a year or so.

On the topic list, just double click under your thread title and you will be able to edit it.

thanks dude

Just me or does Fitzy Look like Aaron Rogers?

Last edited:
He was dead on about our waiver claim for Justin Miller.

He was dead on about our waiver claim for Justin Miller.

Well, there's no way to know for sure, since there are a lot of teams ahead of the Patriots.

I don't blame Cassel for wanting to be paid at all. I am more concerned about receiving something in return for developing him.

In a perfect world, Matt continues to develop and play better week by week, we franchise him and are able to trade him away for picks.

With Brady coming back and O'Connell clearly showing something to the Pats coaching staff worthy of a 3rd round selection, I believe we are well placed to make some major acquisitions in the coming drafts.

I think Cassel can get a Rodgers' type of deal if he continues to play well. He has proven as much as Rodgers had when Rodgers got his deal.

I think the Pats should just run him out of the shotgun and hurry up.... he's proved he can do it.

MC can look for whatever dollar amount he wants...but to me he is still unproven. He has had one very good game in his career.

Lets not "crown" the guy as a top flight NFL quarterback yet. Any team that would pay MC Aaron rodgers money would be out of their minds. I see him as worth at most 4-5 million a year.

He has to show he can do it over a little longer period than he has shown.

Also, I think it is against teh rules to franchise tag someone with the intent of trading him.
The NFL has not enforced this before...but that is the rule

What did Schaub get from Houston when he left Atlanta?
There's a guy who didn't really prove anything, and was courted as a starter.
Cassel will get solid money based on what he's done so far this year, but some teams will disregard the fact that he's got Moss & Welker.
Then again, he played with a swiss cheese o-line, and a MASH unit backfield so far as well.
His ability to run is impressive, if he can continue to improve his decision making, he could be something.

I think Cassel can get a Rodgers' type of deal if he continues to play well. He has proven as much as Rodgers had when Rodgers got his deal.

Rodger's played about 1 good game before he got his deal. Cassel has played at least 3 good games so far, and seems to be more athletic than Rodgers (and possibly more accurate and with greater arm strength, IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back