PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats to sign Kendall Simmons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can he play QB?

Very good when healthy, missed most of last year with serious Achilles injury. They cannot keep all those guards, can they?

Very good when healthy, missed most of last year with serious Achilles injury. They cannot keep all those guards, can they?

No, one will go. Simmons did not come in on Seymour's spot, something else gonna happen there.

This is all in flux...moving parts..moving quite fast...lol....
I think all this means is that there will be more oves made today, tomorrow and during the week. No way is this offensive line all set...more to come.. And yes..they can KEEP all these guards for now..no they will not have all going into the first game..OK maybe..but not past that..moving parts many things happening.

Bye, bye Neal (IMO). Vollmer in at RT, Kazcur slides to RG until Simmons drinks Scarnecchia Kool Aid.

Has this happened yet?

There are a lot interior linemen on the 53.
Mankins, Koppen, Neal
Ohrnberger, Wendell, Simmons, Connolly

In the past we ahve occasionally gone with 4, with the one backup veteran being the Game Day backup at all three positions. This strategy required a couple of Practice Squad guards, sometimes even being paid like a roster player.

The more normal number is 5 interior linemen, with 4 being active for each game.

WE ARE NOW TWO OVER THE NORM
If Simmons is healthy, I would expect Wendell and Connolly to be gone, with the hope that one or both make the Practice Squad.

There are a lot interior linemen on the 53.
Mankins, Koppen, Neal
Ohrnberger, Wendell, Simmons, Connolly

In the past we ahve occasionally gone with 4, with the one backup veteran being the Game Day backup at all three positions. This strategy required a couple of Practice Squad guards, sometimes even being paid like a roster player.

The more normal number is 5 interior linemen, with 4 being active for each game.

WE ARE NOW TWO OVER THE NORM
If Simmons is healthy, I would expect Wendell and Connolly to be gone, with the hope that one or both make the Practice Squad.
I think that is probable..Very correct in that the team is now two over...more moves to go..Simmons if healthy is a good pick up...NOW a tackle to be added...

Bye, bye Neal (IMO). Vollmer in at RT, Kazcur slides to RG until Simmons drinks Scarnecchia Kool Aid.

Why in the world would you think that?

The real question is -- can Simmons be a backup center too?

We had two players capable of starting in Callaghan and Britt. Do you believe that there are better players than them out there? I think that LeVoir is probably almost ready and will be on the team as soon as is allowed. Until then, we have Vollmer and a street free agent to add if there is an injury.

I think that is probable..Very correct in that the team is now two over...more moves to go..Simmons if healthy is a good pick up...NOW a tackle to be added...

I haven't found evidence yet that Simmons has ever played anything other than RG. So it's not obvious that he can take a couple of other guys' roster spots IMMEDIATELY.

We had two players capable of starting in Callaghan and Britt. Do you believe that there are better players than them out there? I think that LeVoir is probably almost ready and will be on the team as soon as is allowed. Until then, we have Vollmer and a street free agent to add if there is an injury.
I'm not sure the Patriots wish to go into the season with only ONE back up tackle. That is quite risky.. I am not sure it's a question of whether there are two players better or not...there was a reason they were cut and two interiot lineman kept. Sometimes it's not just who is better but other circumstances that enter into it. I am not sure "WE" will have this situation until LeVoir is off PUP.

bye, Connolly :p

I haven't found evidence yet that Simmons has ever played anything other than RG. So it's not obvious that he can take a couple of other guys' roster spots IMMEDIATELY.

Simmons took many training camp snaps at C when he was with the Steelers so yes he can play the position. But I don't recall him ever doing it in a game.

To be clear, I have always favored carrying a 4th OT, but I don't see why Belichick wouldn't have kept O'Callagahn or Britt if he agreed. I actually would be fine if Britt were re-signed as the 9th OL.

I'm not sure the Patriots wish to go into the season with only ONE back up tackle. That is quite risky.. I am not sure it's a question of whether there are two players better or not...there was a reason they were cut and two interiot lineman kept. Sometimes it's not just who is better but other circumstances that enter into it. I am not sure "WE" will have this situation until LeVoir is off PUP.

Last edited:
We needed a quality veteran on the OL to back up our sometime shaky tackles that end up with Brady getting killed so I am glad to see we have some good depth there.

Any player who has played years in a solid organization like Pittsburgh gets my respect.

I see him as a Tackle but since his normal position is guard I think Kaczur has some serious challenges

Last edited:
I can't see them giving up on Neal and BB seems to be very high on Levoir, but he won't be back until game 7 at the earliest. We'll see what the plan is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots