PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats meet with RB Kevin Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Adam Seward thread all over again...:D

Seriously, since nothing has happened yet, I'm not holding my breath on Jones.

It is, but it's also another time when we have nothing else to talk about. The fact that more teams are talking toJones and nothing has happened yet is the bold truth here. Pats aren't interested in the damaged goods.

The reason why we want Jones here (OMG! Maroney, Morris, Faulk and Jones, what a backfield!!!!1!!1!!1) is probably the very reason why Jones won't sign here. I don't think he's going to sign somewhere for short money to be a role player meaning he intends to play meaningful snaps. There are lots of other places where the battle to win those snaps is much easier.

Last edited:
This is the Adam Seward thread all over again...:D

Seriously, since nothing has happened yet, I'm not holding my breath on Jones.

except at least Kevin Jones has done some stuff to make him worthy of such a thread. All though the injuries may bring him down to a Seward type level. also we have like 400-500 more posts to go.

except at least Kevin Jones has done some stuff to make him worthy of such a thread. All though the injuries may bring him down to a Seward type level. also we have like 400-500 more posts to go.

Good point. Come on everybody, pitch in, the length of this thread shall be our testament to the talent of Kevin Jones.

Good point. Come on everybody, pitch in, the length of this thread shall be our testament to the talent of Kevin Jones.

Okay, I'll add my two cents. I never liked his game. He was good in college, but I never saw him as an every down back in the NFL. I suspect his time in the league is coming to a close. Particularly if he ends up on a lousy team like the Jets.

KJ, might play in the second half the season, but more probably, not until next season.

As far as the Patriots are concerned, he would be a "two-fer", or a "three -fer". He could be a franchise runner as he has already produced a 1000 yard season, in the NFL. He could upgrade the reserve RB position, uprade Morris, and be a full equivalent to Maroney, at Franchise RB.

He would also be a third down back like Kevin Faulk, since he had a 65 catch season in an NFL, too. So he might remove the need to use two or three high draft picks in the next couple of years to upgrade/replace Sammy Morris; augment Maroney; and succeed Kevin Faulk in the role Kevin has made famous.

The problem is that he appears to feel that he is healthy, when the doctors and everyone else, says he is not yet healthy. He wants to be paid as if he were unhurt, and not one Team agrees.

He complained when he left the Pats, that they wanted to pay him a relative pittance for this year, and a lot more next season, on an incentivized, produce and earn contract. He thought that was ridiculous. To me, it sounded reasonable, for damaged goods.

I know that he had tried to interest the Chicago Bears after they cut Cedric Benson. They ignored him.

With such a warped view of reality, he might not have the intelligence to fit into the Patriots. It could demosntrate a pampered egotistical athlete who has everything handed him due to his athletic ability. As a consequence, he believes the world owes him something.

Let's see what his June 28th workout produces.
I agree with most of what you said, but here's a quote that indicates his thinking might be more balanced. That is, he doesn't want to leave money on the table, but he'll take less if he has to. From a blogger:
He has already visited New England and Tennessee. He said he has received some contract offers, but none good enough. He thinks when teams see how he has recovered, the numbers will rise.

“I’m not trying to break the bank, but I’m not about to go anywhere just to go, just because there’s a team out there and I haven’t gotten picked up yet,” Jones said. “I know my worth. A lot of the teams know my worth, but they figure, ‘OK, you’re hurt right now. We’ll bring you in.’ They’re just going to lowball you. But that’s not happening with me.

“If that’s the final thing after they know that I’m healthy and that’s all that’s out there, am I going to take it? Yeah. I’ve got to, then, at that point. I’ve still got family to take care of. I’m not going to just sit out.

“But I’m pretty sure that a team is not going to react that way when they know that I’m working hard and that I’ve gotten back and I’m healthy and I’m going to be able to contribute. There’s no way.”
So is he delusional about his physical condition? I suppose we'll find out on the 28th.

Okay, I'll add my two cents. I never liked his game. He was good in college, but I never saw him as an every down back in the NFL. I suspect his time in the league is coming to a close. Particularly if he ends up on a lousy team like the Jets.

But he wouldn't have to be an every down back in New England. Kevin Faulk 2.0 with some ability rushing the football would be real nice to have as a backup policy.

The monthly Kevin Jones update:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/14/still-no-action-for-kevin-jones/

STILL NO ACTION FOR KEVIN JONES

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 14, 2008, 3:37 p.m. EDT

We’re less than a week away from the opening of NFL training camps, and former Lions running back Kevin Jones is still without a home.

Jones is clearly not a hot commodity in the NFL right now, as only four teams showed up to watch him work out a couple of weeks ago. But Jones spoke today on Sirius NFL Radio (per ESPN.com http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-8-176/Kevin-Jones-playing-waiting-game.html), and he said he has several options, and might sign with a team before the start of training camp. If he does, Tampa Bay has been reported as a likely destination.

However, Jones might be better off waiting to sign. It’s not clear whether Jones, who suffered a season-ending knee injury in 2007, would be able to do much more than sit in meeting rooms in training camp, and he might decide to see if some team suffers an injury and needs another back.

Jones showed great promise as a rookie in 2004, carrying 241 times for 1,133 yards. But in three seasons since then he has never reached 700 yards or four yards a carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back