PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats meet with RB Kevin Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin Jones would be a great signing, he could easily make our running game elite splitting carries with Maroney and Morris.
He can receive he has electric speed.
Imagine this goal line formation, Kevin Jones and Laurence Maroney in the backfield one to the left one out to the right Watson behind the qb to block, Moss out to the left, Jackson out to the right, Welker in the slot, and Oconnel at QB with his speed.
What would the defense think?

Maybe I'm laughing because it is early morning, but a 4 man backfield (a la the '30s), no Brady. Take out Welker and add Gostkowski behind Watson to line up for PATs in the pre-season and mess with second string defender's minds.:) If they don't call time out, you do.:)

Kevin Jones would be a great signing, he could easily make our running game elite splitting carries with Maroney and Morris.
Imagine this goal line formation, Kevin Jones and Laurence Maroney in the backfield one to the left one out to the right Watson behind the qb to block, Moss out to the left, Jackson out to the right, Welker in the slot, and Oconnel at QB with his speed.
Maybe they'd think, "I can pick O'Connell and run it back 100 yards. If only I could outrun Watson."

Let's see what develops at the end of this month at KJ's workout, I am very interested in the Pats signing this kid. Maroney, Jones and/or Morris would be great combination. You simply can't have enough good backs.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/20/jones-says-hes-ready-to-play/

JONES SAYS HE’S READY TO PLAY
Posted by Mike Florio on June 20, 2008, 7:14 a.m. EDT

Former Lions running back Kevin Jones, a one-time first-round draft pick who was abruptly dumped earlier this year, says that he is healthy and ready to play.

“I’ve never worked out like this and I feel great,” Jones said recently.

Dr. James Andrews operated on Jones’ knee in January, and suggested that Jones would be able to play in 10 months.

“I honestly feel like I’m ready to play right now,” Jones said.

He’ll work out for scouts on June 28. Last month, the Patriots visited with Jones. He also has visited with the Titans.

Jones claims that he has received contract offers. If that’s true, then there should be more than a few teams present in eight days when Jones shows what he can do.

We assume that one of them won’t be the Lions. Unless Jones plans to become a receiver. (We couldn’t resist.)

Actually, I can tell you exactly what they'd be saying, not merely thinking:

Hey ref, they've got 12 men on the field! :bricks:

Last edited:
Let's see what develops at the end of this month at KJ's workout, I am very interested in the Pats signing this kid. Maroney, Jones and/or Morris would be great combination. You simply can't have enough good backs.

I understand what you are saying and don't mean to pick on you, but you really can have more than enough backs. Can the Pats carry 4 backs that don't play special teams (don't think we will see Maroney returning kicks or even Faulk for the most part) and can't take the field at the same time?

If one of the incumbent 3 gets hurt, Jones would be a dynamite signing. If you are proposing cutting Faulk or Morris, you could argue Jones would be a low cost upgrade. I don't see how you could keep all 4 on a team built for the pass. Maroney needs 18-20 carries. Morris gets short yardage plus a handful of other carries. Faulk gets long 3rd down and hurry-up formations. Add in Brady's 30+ pass plays and there aren't any touches left.

KJ, might play in the second half the season, but more probably, not until next season.

As far as the Patriots are concerned, he would be a "two-fer", or a "three -fer". He could be a franchise runner as he has already produced a 1000 yard season, in the NFL. He could upgrade the reserve RB position, uprade Morris, and be a full equivalent to Maroney, at Franchise RB.

He would also be a third down back like Kevin Faulk, since he had a 65 catch season in an NFL, too. So he might remove the need to use two or three high draft picks in the next couple of years to upgrade/replace Sammy Morris; augment Maroney; and succeed Kevin Faulk in the role Kevin has made famous.

The problem is that he appears to feel that he is healthy, when the doctors and everyone else, says he is not yet healthy. He wants to be paid as if he were unhurt, and not one Team agrees.

He complained when he left the Pats, that they wanted to pay him a relative pittance for this year, and a lot more next season, on an incentivized, produce and earn contract. He thought that was ridiculous. To me, it sounded reasonable, for damaged goods.

I know that he had tried to interest the Chicago Bears after they cut Cedric Benson. They ignored him.

With such a warped view of reality, he might not have the intelligence to fit into the Patriots. It could demosntrate a pampered egotistical athlete who has everything handed him due to his athletic ability. As a consequence, he believes the world owes him something.

Let's see what his June 28th workout produces.

KJ, might play in the second half the season, but more probably, not until next season.

As far as the Patriots are concerned, he would be a "two-fer", or a "three -fer". He could be a franchise runner as he has already produced a 1000 yard season, in the NFL. He could upgrade the reserve RB position, uprade Morris, and be a full equivalent to Maroney, at Franchise RB.

He would also be a third down back like Kevin Faulk, since he had a 65 catch season in an NFL, too. So he might remove the need to use two or three high draft picks in the next couple of years to upgrade/replace Sammy Morris; augment Maroney; and succeed Kevin Faulk in the role Kevin has made famous.

The problem is that he appears to feel that he is healthy, when the doctors and everyone else, says he is not yet healthy. He wants to be paid as if he were unhurt, and not one Team agrees.

He complained when he left the Pats, that they wanted to pay him a relative pittance for this year, and a lot more next season, on an incentivized, produce and earn contract. He thought that was ridiculous. To me, it sounded reasonable, for damaged goods.

I know that he had tried to interest the Chicago Bears after they cut Cedric Benson. They ignored him.

With such a warped view of reality, he might not have the intelligence to fit into the Patriots. It could demosntrate a pampered egotistical athlete who has everything handed him due to his athletic ability. As a consequence, he believes the world owes him something.

Let's see what his June 28th workout produces.

Wow, I didn't realize how KJ really felt. I wouldn't pay top dollar for damaged goods either if I were the Pats' front office. I think it's better to draft RBs on the cheap instead of paying for someone else's accumulated carries (wear and tear).

If healthy enough NOT to go on PUP, the odds of KJ signing with the Pats is a long-shot. It's far more likely he'll go somewhere where he may be able to start, like Chicago. Hope I'm wrong. Would like to take a chance on a guy BB/Pioli were reportedly high on when he was drafted.

Re: RB Kevin Jones Met w/ Patriots (NFL Network)

I like the idea of adding something to the running back position.

I am a little concerned about the injury but that is for our DRs to worry about.

Kevin Jones when healthy has shown some nice ability and on a crappy Detroit team. Could be real interesting to see a healthy Kevin Jones on one of the best instead of one of the worst.

I do too.......I like the idea of bringing someone like Jones in......Maroney, Morris, Jones, and Faulk would sound pretty good to me.......

I understand what you are saying and don't mean to pick on you, but you really can have more than enough backs. Can the Pats carry 4 backs that don't play special teams (don't think we will see Maroney returning kicks or even Faulk for the most part) and can't take the field at the same time?

If one of the incumbent 3 gets hurt, Jones would be a dynamite signing. If you are proposing cutting Faulk or Morris, you could argue Jones would be a low cost upgrade. I don't see how you could keep all 4 on a team built for the pass. Maroney needs 18-20 carries. Morris gets short yardage plus a handful of other carries. Faulk gets long 3rd down and hurry-up formations. Add in Brady's 30+ pass plays and there aren't any touches left.

RB's in the NFL are most prone to injury. Last yr's SB winner, who will go nameless, went through 4 starters. Since we would only keep 1 FB, this wouldn't be a problem at all. You sound like Lou Gorman, what would we do with Rickey Henderson?? We already have four OF's, we have no room for Rickey. You always find room for good players.

They should sign this guy, think about it we had Kevin Faulk as a starting back at one time last year. Kevin Faulk is good at being our third dwon back and getting the yards we need not being our every down back. nothing wrong with a little bit of depth.

reportedly the Jets have begun to show interest in him as well. To be quite honest I have always been a big Jones fan since he was at VT. I would love to add him on board

The Jets, shocking! I think if BB has interest in signing Hillary Clinton, Mangina would call her as well.

...BB has interest in signing Hillary Clinton...

Good depth signing. Improve the team from players 45-53. This is likely camp competition--nothing more.

Good depth signing. Improve the team from players 45-53. This is likely camp competition--nothing more.

:rocker::singing:

I am a big KJ guy if he can return to the form he was at when he came into the league. I truly hope he is healthy, and if he is, I think he can even be as good or better than Laurence.

Please sign him Patriots.

KJ is going to be on PUP for the first half of the year. It's not going to affect Maroney, IMO. He's good depth and help in case Faulk goes down.

Your point is well taken, but I just dont think it's a positive to add him. Maroney will never become the great back I think he can be if he has to look over his shoulder all the time.

Just my opinion.

Competition is always good, more competition is even better. If Maroney is going to become a great back he will do it regardless of if we sign Kevin Jones or not.

Kevin Jones would be a great addition to the HB core we already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes