PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats could sign CB Tory James

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy's durability might be enough to get him on the team. He rarely misses matches. With our luck in the secondary we'll get to November and only he and Troy will still be standing.

The Cincinnati Enquirer has picked up on the report, although they aren't real complimentary about James:

Word out of the Boston area tonight is former Bengals cornerback Tory James is close to signing a contract to play for the Patriots. They must be hurting for help.

James got old fast in the past season and a half. He was maybe the fourth best cornerback on the roster last season. Rookie Johnathan Joseph should have been starting sooner.

If I were a Bengals' fan, I would have rather seen Keiwan Ratliff on the field than James. Ratliff will come up and tackle against the run.

I must have been up getting a cup of coffee; how did Neal wipe out half the team??

//
Couple years ago when Stephen Neal injured by accident Branch and Samuel to name a couple.

I must have been up getting a cup of coffee; how did Neal wipe out half the team??

//
Neal and Deion Branch collided after an INT in 2004, I think against the Cards.

There used to be another guy who would add blank lines to his posts to make them look longer. Are you Mikey?

I remember after a turnover against the Steelers in 2005 both Brady and Neal went for the tackle and Neal ended up landing on Brady. Neal sat up on his knees with this, yikes I just crushed the franchise, Brady please get up kind of way. LOL.

The Cincinnati Enquirer has picked up on the report, although they aren't real complimentary about James:
What? No! Haven't you been listening? Tory James will soon be a valuable addition to this team! In fact, signing him gives us leverage with Samuel and Gay. Tory James isn't old, he's wise.

I love the signing...it will lessen both of their leverage...which is what a FO has to do..My feeling is it will add a vet's knowledge as well..always needed..Has been a bit since Law was around..Harrison is the QB back there..but having a vet CB may help the younger ones..as well.. a solid pickup...HE could end up like Williams..Stubblefield..or some other misses...but he gould be a Pleasant..a Phifer or a Cox...

Last edited:
Several things.

We haven't even signed Tory James yet. Several teams are interested in him and there are no guarantees that we will even offer him a contract.

The Jets haven't made an offer to Randall Gay. According to Mike Reiss the Jets are also hosting RFA Stacey Andrews who also comes with second round compensation. I seriously doubt the Jets will give up both of their second round picks for RFAs.

The Pats haven't even been rumored to be willing to trade Samuel. Besides, I doubt that if we signed Nate Clements that it would give us more leverage with Samuel. Samuel wants what he wants and having his replacement isn't going to change his mind.

Tory James' performance last year is hard to judge. People trashed him about his play, but from reports he was playing injured most of last year. He may be done or he could be like Rodney Harrison and having a down year due to injuries. He doesn't have nearly as much upside as Harrison had when we signed him, but he may have the potential for one or two productive years left in him.

Several things.

We haven't even signed Tory James yet. Several teams are interested in him and there are no guarantees that we will even offer him a contract.

The Jets haven't made an offer to Randall Gay. According to Mike Reiss the Jets are also hosting RFA Stacey Andrews who also comes with second round compensation. I seriously doubt the Jets will give up both of their second round picks for RFAs.

The Pats haven't even been rumored to be willing to trade Samuel. Besides, I doubt that if we signed Nate Clements that it would give us more leverage with Samuel. Samuel wants what he wants and having his replacement isn't going to change his mind.

Tory James' performance last year is hard to judge. People trashed him about his play, but from reports he was playing injured most of last year. He may be done or he could be like Rodney Harrison and having a down year due to injuries. He doesn't have nearly as much upside as Harrison had when we signed him, but he may have the potential for one or two productive years left in him.
NO very true..but I am hoping he sees the opportunity here as one of the better ones....True about the Jets..but Magina MAY indeed wish to grab Gay
As far as leverage..he wants what he wants..but if he sees the Patriots are moving in other directions..he may think more about his position..Remember that the Pats CAN..pull that tag...not that they would...but that is there...as a possibility if he doesn't sign the tag...he would look mighty dumb..if all of a sudden he was a free agent and many teams did NOT have a lot of money for him...maybe NOT even the franchised amount.. He wants what he wants..but for one. we only know what he has said in public..whether that is true or posturing we dio not know that..whether he said all those things... to see what the reaction would be..OR?? I do not know...but I can not count that out as a possibility

Last edited:
Re: Schefter says:pats interested in Bengals Tory James

Tory James is JUNK on a Jose Offerman level. Okay, that's too strong, but he's certainly not some preventative measure in case Gay leaves.

Jose Offerman? Some American Idol contestant or something?

Who was the corner we signed a few years ago that used to start for the Colts? Just cannot remember his name. Was signed for depth and cut in camp.
Same kinda player here, maybe it will work out better.

Tyrone Poole or Jeff Burris?

Cept Poole started in 2003 and was on the roster for 04 and 05.

But we also paid for him with a big contract. Poole was a ex-pro bowler, even if he was very small. We won a SB with him starting, at the end of his career. Poole, OTIS, and Langham and Starks were signed to be starters. Score 2 & 2. Terrel Buckley, Ray Mickens, Chad Scott, and Hank Poteat were veterans, ex-starters except for Hank, signed to be depth although Hank was a failed high pick that BB tried to salvage, and partially did.

Tory James is in the long line of quality depth that BB/SP like to have on the roster. He isn't what he used to be, so What? He is better than having to play a scrub UDFA ne're-was, ne'er-will-be. If only we had one more depth guy, for 3 minutes, we would have had another Lombardi...

Glad they are doing it. I consider him a younger upgrade over Ray and much more dependabe for depth than Spann, Andrews or Gemala.

Jose Offerman? Some American Idol contestant or something?

Former Red Sox 1B/2B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey