PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats could sign CB Tory James

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's with this negativity? Such would be expected if the Pats were planning on James replacing Samuel, but nothing could be further from the truth.

This is the type of low-risk, high-reward signing the Pats have thrived on. Nobody is asking James to come in and potentially replace Samuel as the leader of the defensive backfield. Hell, nobody is asking James to come in an inherit a starting spot. He won't get big money. There's no risk (unlike Starks, where a draft choice part of the payment).

James will come in as a durable veteran presence. I disagree with A.J. that he will be a back-end roster guy - which would essentially make him inactive every week. In fact, I see James, if signed, getting significant time in sub packages - possibly as more of a FS as some suggest. In many ways, he's on the same level as Chad Scott or Hawkins. A few years ago, he'd be clearly above them.

I also disagree with A.J. insofar as he's not starting caliber. It wouldn't be favorable, but it wouldn't be deplorable either to have Tory James as a starter. The chances of that, though, are slim. Asante or no Asante, the Pats willbe drafting a DB, probably in the 1st or 2nd (if they trade down). James will be in the mix with Scott, the pick (if Asante), and possibly Gay for those 3-5 spots on the depth chart at CB. Again, I'm not saying James will start or could start.

James shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Moreland, Spann, or Poteat. That's what matters.

I totally agree. There hasn't even been a rumor of the Pats considering a trade of Samuel and the Jets haven't even offered Gay a contract, yet everyone are already blasting the Pats for replacing Samuel and Gay with James.

A James type of signing is exactly what got us to win the Super Bowl in 2001. Roman Phifer was washed up. Bobby Hamilton was a never was. Anthony Pleasant was on his last leg. Otis Smith was a bum.

In 2003, Rodney Harrison had lost a step. Also, Ted Washington was too old.

James is a good gamble for depth/rotational guy who could step in and start if he has to.

Re: Schefter says:pats interested in Bengals Tory James

u talking about Poole?

..come to think about it..if we can pay him low #, then he would be good in nickel and has the size for FS 6"2 195ish
Cept Poole started in 2003 and was on the roster for 04 and 05.

For those wincing at the thought of James, a genuine question: is there a veteran DB left out on the market whom you'd prefer? Offer some names!

Re: Who is Tory James ?

Hey, after they taught us to Walk Like An Egyptian, whatever happened to them?

They were shot by Egyptian Terrorists.....with the thankful aquiesience of the music-buying public.

For those wincing at the thought of James, a genuine question: is there a veteran DB left out on the market whom you'd prefer? Offer some names!

Tyrone Poole is available isn't he? Why not take another shot at him? It worked out so well his last two seasons with us.

Well, he should be mentioned in same breath with Antonio Langham, OTIS Smith, Terrell Buckley, Terrance Shaw, Duane Starks, Jeff Burris, Tom Knight, Eric Warfield to name a few.
He fits right in with the aging veterans we always sign a few of which work out as depth, more of which dont cut it.
He is what he is, and if you've seen much of him, you don't want him on the field much for the Pats. Like those guys, he will come in to compete for the 4th or 5th corner spot and could do better, but could do worse.

Guys, Tory James is a very solid cover corner in the NFL and always has been. The knock on him is that he's bad against the run. But he actually has some similarities to Samuel -- not that he's that caliber of player, but there are similarities. He has very good ball skills, gets his hands on a lot of balls. He's intercepted something like 20 passes in the last four years. Like Asante his speed is marginal but he's very good when the play is in front of him. In short, he's not a bad cover-2 corner. He'll catch badly-thrown balls in his zone and he'll stay with the receiver until the safety comes over the top. Plus he doesn't get hurt. He's certainly not the playmaker Samuel was last year, but I'd feel a hell of a lot better with Tory James at corner than I would with a lot of other veterans and pretty much any rookie. I mean, seriously, how many corners do we even have right now? Scott, Hobbs, and tentatively Gay and tentatively Samuel? And we can't use a guy who's just started 64 straight games for a good NFL team?

This would be a decent signing. He could be the third or fourth CB who would probably contribute much in the way that Chad Scott has. The seem to have a way of covering up a lot of the deficincies in the old, dried up defensive backs. But I don't know how close this is to even happening.

Last edited:
This guy is productive and does not have the question marks that Starks (injuries) or Warfield (personnel) had. He could push Hobbs for a starting role or be a solid replacement if we lose Samuel.

Ok, let me say it. I'd have more confidence in James as our nickel than Gay. James has started almost a hundred games. Yes, I think of O-T-I-S and Chad Scott and Buckley. We need a nickel. At worst, we need a dime back. And yes, James could push Chad Scott and a top draftee for a starting spot.

Ok, let me say it. I'd have more confidence in James as our nickel than Gay. James has started almost a hundred games. Yes, I think of O-T-I-S and Chad Scott and Buckley. We need a nickel. At worst, we need a dime back. And yes, James could push Chad Scott and a top draftee for a starting spot.

If by starting spot you mean Stephen Neal accidently wipes out half the team again and he starts by default.

Re: Tory James possible

James is an NFL caliber corner but nowhere near starting caliber.
This reminds me of the numerous dbs we sign each off-season to compete for a roster spot and many of them end up cut.
Good depth, but nowhere near a major signing.

Huh? If this is right then he fell pretty far pretty fast. The 2006 Sporting News Scouting Guide rates Tory James the 8th best CB in football. By comparison, Ty Law was 11, Asante was 14, Samari Rolle 16, Ellis Hobbs 26.

Only question is the money. If James is willing to take a reasonable deal then I'm all for it. If the Pats are interested I trust for them to have done their homework first.
I also like the fact that he is a very solid 6-2, 192 lbs. That is a lot bigger than most of our other midget corners.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3694

His experience is a plus imo, and the fact that he is an older player means he probably won't demand so much money and would like to be with a winner at this point in his career.
This could be a very solid signing that helps the Pats match up against the taller wide receivers that are becoming ever more commonplace in the NFL.

Last edited:
I like it...a solid signing. Sure there is some possibility of him NOT making it...but maybe just as much of him helping out. I like that they are making the move now quick..not waiting to see what happens. Jeff Burris...signed and I think many thought he might help...did not show up at camp and..for whatever reason//ended his career...poof!!
Having a vet also may help the backfield, which is mighty young...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?p...tp://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?positionId=29

Out of this list, my order of preference would be:
Daylon McCutcheon - if his knee is healed
Chris Cash - if his arms are healed
Jimmy Williams - if his knee is healed
Ralph Brown
Robert Tate
Tory James
Rashad Bauman - if his knee is healed
Ray Mickens

Slim pickings, folks.

Re: Who is Tory James ?

They were shot by Egyptian Terrorists.....with the thankful aquiesience of the music-buying public.

Hey, I dug Walk Like an Egyptian; and those gals were hot, esp. Susanna Hoffs. Yum...

If by starting spot you mean Stephen Neal accidently wipes out half the team again and he starts by default.

I must have been up getting a cup of coffee; how did Neal wipe out half the team??

//

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey