PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats $17.4M under cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jax is way under the cap, but lots of folks say that they don't have enough actual money to fill the cap. Jax is a very, very small market without the rabid support that a Green Bay gets.

that said, if you take Randy Moss away from the Pats, and put him on Jax, Jax is very, very close to us. That would move Jax right up the Colts level, VERY close to us.

You can frontload contracts and let the cap pay the player to some extent. Problem with that approach is if the player screws up you can't go after that money like you can bonus money. But more cash strapped teams seemed to take that approach last season and even quite a few of the top draft picks ended up with guarantees rather than signing bonus money in their deals.

I read somewhere this week that the union is considering filing a collusion grievance against the league because they lowered the amount of debt service a team can carry by $30M I think, and that would mean some teams would have to spend a chunk of their revenue on lowering that debt service to be in compliance rather than funding signing bonuses - making it more difficult for some with loads of space to rationalize spending to the cap this season. I don't doubt that the league would like to see the market slow down pending whatever comes of revisiting the CBA and revenue distribution and sharing.

Last edited:
You can frontload contracts and let the cap pay the player to some extent. Problem with that approach is if the player screws up you can't go after that money like you can bonus money. But more cash strapped teams seemed to take that approach last season and even quite a few of the top draft picks ended up with guarantees rather than signing bonus money in their deals.

I read somewhere this week that the union is considering filing a collusion grievance against the league because they lowered the amount of debt service a team can carry by $30M I think, and that would mean some teams would have to spend a chunk of their revenue on lowering that debt service to be in compliance rather than funding signing bonuses - making it more difficult for some with loads of space to rationalize spending to the cap this season. I don't doubt that the league would like to see the market slow down pending whatever comes of revisiting the CBA and revenue distribution and sharing.

The whole idea of paying now for performance later loads risk on the team, for anything: poor performance, injury, you name it. Just chiming in.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back