Welcome to PatsFans.com

Schefter: Patriots "breaking the mold"

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DGameguy, Mar 3, 2007.

1. DGameguy

DGameguy Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Just turned on NFL Network. When asked what the big story in FA was, Scefter responded "They're signing Adalius Thomas, they're going to sign Kyle Brady, they're going to sign the running back Sammy Morris, and they are going to sign another wide receiver for Tom Brady."

Im guessing it's last night's Total Access but I was out then and didn't see this on the board.

And as I wirte this Schefter reiterates Patriots are being the aggressors/biggest story and stresses they aren't done yet.
  2. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -3

Sammy Morris would be a solid signing. Another WR? :eek:
  3. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Okay, so far this offseason has been really fun. Such a contrast to last year.
  4. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -3

Yeah and it has only been 1 day of FA! Well now it is Day 2? We still have to make the AT signing official. Maybe we will have a new Patriot later today?
  5. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Everybody has money to spend so they need to be aggressive. This is the new NFL where if you see a guy you need to go get him.

The next 3 years are gonna be awesome
  6. Bella*chick

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It really says something about last year that this year's offseason took only one day to surpass it!

I can't wait for the draft....that's an exciting day.

But, boy, will I ever be ready for the season to start this year!!
  7. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -3

I remember I was so frustrated on vacation at the start of FA last year. EVENTUALLY after days we had our first signing...Reche Caldwell. Instead we have been instantly aggresive so far.
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last year at this time there was still considerable uncertainty regarding the direction of the forthcoming CBA. The Patriots played it very close to the vest. This year they are making aggressive moves with a solid backing of cap certainty.
  9. Bella*chick

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Good point.
  10. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I said a couple of days ago that the Patriots last year misjudged how the additional cap dollars would affect the free agent market. So they held back, feeling that other teams were paying too much for players.

I think they later came to the same conclusion, and realized that it cost them a chance for another Super Bowl. This year they have come out with a vengeance and obviously are determined not to make the same mistake twice.
  11. Return of the Nizz

Return of the Nizz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I miss the days of discussing the merits of recent signings like Monty Beisel.
  12. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

I don't think we should be reading too much into this. Brady qualifies as a player who fits, but he's nto a tier 1 or even tier 2 FA.

Adalius Thomas is speacial. Can anyone here tell me that if he were available last year, the Patriots would have held back? I don't think so.
  13. groundgame

groundgame Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It shows how the talented Patriots organization can mold it's plan to take advantage of whatever financial situation exists in the NFL. (I.) A tight money/Cap era of 2000-2006---No problem: A bloodless approach counting nickels and pennies on every personnel move on your roster. (II.) A free money surplus/Cap era of 2007--- No problem: Everyone has money, and conventional wisdom had that landscape as bad news for N.E. Patriots. However, Pats use their winning tradition, coupled with the reputation of it's management team being of the highest order, to separate itself from most of the field when negotiating with free agents if the dollars are comparable. If the dollars are roughly the same, wouldn't you rather play for N.E. or Denver versus Ariz. or SF?
  14. Bella*chick

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I think the Patriots FO is still largely misunderstood by outsiders. I think they wait for the perfect fit and when the fit (and need) are there, they do what they have to do to win.

I do think if Thomas was available last year, they would have gotten it done. They try not to fling money around just because they can. It doesn't make you cheap, it makes you calculating.