PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: <opinion>Chad Jackson could be cut</opinion>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truth? I believe that IF the Pats win SB XLII, Randy goes "huh. I could deal with doing this again," and take a workable deal. He is getting slightly long in the tooth, and may turn into Corey Dillon, Part II.

While I'm on that subject -- more megaprops to Corey. Wish we'd had you sooner dude. But then again, if we had, well, you might have gotten attitude with us. Perfect alignment of the stars, to end your career a Patriot. And if you get the call down the stretch? COME ON BACK! LoMo's the future, sure, but wouldn't mind seeing you in the uni one more time.

PFnV

Jackson is going to earn very little money, and he is one of the very few WRs we have signed for next season. Any escalators he had in his contract are probably gone. It is very difficult for me to see how cutting him makes sense. I can think of only two possibilities:

1. Jackson is filing a grievance about being placed on PUP and the Patriots think he could win.

2. The Patriots think there is NO chance that he will ever be good enough to make the team.

Otherwise, they should pay him his $360K and get an additional potential deep threat for next year's training camp.

You got it - though I don't think they have the ability to assess his potential given his injuries.

If Jackson feels he can play now - this year - and wants to avoid a label as being fragile that might haunt him come free agency - and furthermore get a shot on a team that might not have Randy Moss or Stallworth next year clogging his supposed position - he might do well to refuse PUP/IR and file a greivance.

It makes sense to me that he could want to play (as any player would) but that the Patriots feel that a player is able to play well before he is able to play his best after this injury. Experience does seem to support that players return but are not themselves. That may be what we are seeing with Rodney, who is playing better this pre-season than last year when he came back.

Anyone else think this is a message sent directly by Belichick? I have a feeling this kid does not have the work ethic the rest of the vets have and the only way he wakes up is a threat of being let go. I bet his rehab is going slow and he needs a kick in the ass.

Mo raised this very point in post #23, a possible FO message to CJ.

All this is admitedly speculation on a speculative comment by Schefter who does somehow seem to have a wiretap on Pats FO moves.

I agree with the statements here. The real issue is that we do not know whether either condition exists.

BTW, I strongly disagree with regard to next year's crisis at wide receiver. We have Stallworth, Welker and Washington all signed to excellent long-term deals. moss could be extended in place of one of them, but the three are just fine in my book. And also, we COULD extend Gaffney and/or Caldwell. This is ignoring the fact that we ahve two first round draft choices.

I DO NOT think we have a crisis at wide receiver heading into next year.

We DO have a lack of receivers under contract at reasonable terms heading into next season.

Not only does Chad Jackson provide a receiving option, he also provides leverage in our negotiations with other receivers.

I'd also HATE to see us using a first round pick on a WR. BB has been very smart about drafting for value. WRs rarely provide good value in the top rounds relative to the other players that remain on the board.

We DO have a lack of receivers under contract at reasonable terms heading into next season.

Not only does Chad Jackson provide a receiving option, he also provides leverage in our negotiations with other receivers.

I'd also HATE to see us using a first round pick on a WR. BB has been very smart about drafting for value. WRs rarely provide good value in the top rounds relative to the other players that remain on the board.

It is a little too early to worry about it one way or another but I think there is some reason to have some concern. Maybe crisis is too a strong of a word but the position is not exactly stocked. Next year you have Welker and a bunch of question marks.

------------ Under Contract -------------------------------------
Under Contract
Welker - solid player signed under managable terms
?Jackson - unknown what on field value he will add also had injury concerns

------------ Under Contract but have high cap hits -------------------------------------
?Stallworth
- cap hits of 6,373,386, 4,873,386, 6,373,386,6,373,386, 6,373,390
- seems like a lot for a guy who is not really a number one and has trouble staying on the field

?Washington
- 5,760,000 in 08
- seems like a lot for a number 5 or 6 receiver and 3rd string gunner on special teams
- may not be an issue because he is on the fringe of being cut

------------ Not under contract -------------------------------------

?Free Agents - we can not just extend them, they are free to sign with any team in the league
Moss
Gaffney
Caldwell

If it comes down it we may be better off cutting Stallworth and Washington to try and sign Moss and then draft a day 1 WR.

I do not agree that the contracts with Stallworth and Washington are unreasonable over the lives of those contracts.

You need to look at more than one year's cap hit. Washington may make the team partly because he is under contract, and the contract is a good one for the patriots.

It is a little too early to worry about it one way or another but I think there is some reason to have some concern. Maybe crisis is too a strong of a word but the position is not exactly stocked. Next year you have Welker and a bunch of question marks.

------------ Under Contract -------------------------------------
Under Contract
Welker - solid player signed under managable terms
?Jackson - unknown what on field value he will add also had injury concerns

------------ Under Contract but have high cap hits -------------------------------------
?Stallworth
- cap hits of 6,373,386, 4,873,386, 6,373,386,6,373,386, 6,373,390
- seems like a lot for a guy who is not really a number one and has trouble staying on the field

?Washington
- 5,760,000 in 08
- seems like a lot for a number 5 or 6 receiver and 3rd string gunner on special teams
- may not be an issue because he is on the fringe of being cut

------------ Not under contract -------------------------------------

?Free Agents - we can not just extend them, they are free to sign with any team in the league
Moss
Gaffney
Caldwell

If it comes down it we may be better off cutting Stallworth and Washington to try and sign Moss and then draft a day 1 WR.

Last edited:
The list of injured second-year second-round picks released by their teams is very very short.

He'll cost $900K on PUP/IR. He would cost $1,600 K to release (over two years) so he would be more expensive to release.
The Pats are about $8mm under the cap - with full Asante Samuel costs. No need to pinch pennies.
The Pats have a very uncertain WR future.

There is no rational reason to release him. Foolish statement.

At the same time, he had a crappy rookie season.
He is coming off ACL surgery and hasn't practiced or played.
Jackson is not in a position to command a big deal from another team right now. So why agitate for a release anyway? Is there a big market for injured wide receivers with 152 career receiving yards?

Right now, his best option is to rehab with a professional team, get their treatment and exercise program, and hope to bounce back by the PUP deadline in October.

Both parties are best served by PUP.

I don't think that he would be much help to the team in October. The team would be better served by putting him on IR.

The list of injured second-year second-round picks released by their teams is very very short.

He'll cost $900K on PUP/IR. He would cost $1,600 K to release (over two years) so he would be more expensive to release.
The Pats are about $8mm under the cap - with full Asante Samuel costs. No need to pinch pennies.
The Pats have a very uncertain WR future.

There is no rational reason to release him. Foolish statement.

At the same time, he had a crappy rookie season.
He is coming off ACL surgery and hasn't practiced or played.
Jackson is not in a position to command a big deal from another team right now. So why agitate for a release anyway? Is there a big market for injured wide receivers with 152 career receiving yards?

Right now, his best option is to rehab with a professional team, get their treatment and exercise program, and hope to bounce back by the PUP deadline in October.

Both parties are best served by PUP.

You need to look at more than one year's cap hit. Washington may make the team partly because he is under contract, and the contract is a good one for the patriots.

I am pretty sure the Patriots make most of their roster decisions based on on-field performance. Contracts don't win games. I see Washington as a pretty good 5th or 6th WR nothing more.

Kelly Washington - 5 year average 2,648,000 more than the top two receivers from last year combined:
Caldwell - $1,550,000
Gaffney - $595,000

What is Washington's ceiling? He has a career high 31 catches.

It seems like they can get more production from street free agents at a higher discount.

2007 - 600,000
2008 - 5,760,000
2009 - 1,960,000
2010 - 2,460,000
2011 - 2,460,000

Last edited:
God I sure hope not while watching the draft I predicted we'd trade up for this guy and when we did i was punching my friends jumping with my fists up like we just got the next Randy Moss which he still very well could be I would cut Caldwell in a heartbeat for the potential that we may see out of Chad Jackson plus I've been raving to my friends since last year the great impact he's gonna make and my Chad Jackson jersey is hanging right next to my Brady jersey in my closet so I'm routing for the guy hardcore that being said if we trade or outright cut him, I'll sell the jersey on ebay for like 10 bucks probably, then curse his name that's what True Patriots fan's do!

God I sure hope not while watching the draft I predicted we'd trade up for this guy and when we did i was punching my friends jumping with my fists up like we just got the next Randy Moss which he still very well could be I would cut Caldwell in a heartbeat for the potential that we may see out of Chad Jackson plus I've been raving to my friends since last year the great impact he's gonna make and my Chad Jackson jersey is hanging right next to my Brady jersey in my closet so I'm routing for the guy hardcore that being said if we trade or outright cut him, I'll sell the jersey on ebay for like 10 bucks probably, then curse his name that's what True Patriots fan's do!

Please don't make any more draft picks for us.

Can he technically be cut with the fact that he is actually injured? I only ask cuz of the Bettis story that popped out a couple days ago.

Yeah CST John you can't tell me you saw the skills competition the 40 yd dash and become enamored with this guy, then when the Patriots drafted him I fell in love.
Whether it's with us or not this guy is a talented player and will do great things in this league I just hope it's with us.

A player who has never received an injury settlement cannot be cut unless he can pass a physical.

Can he technically be cut with the fact that he is actually injured? I only ask cuz of the Bettis story that popped out a couple days ago.

So, you think Pioli was wrong to sign Washington. Obviously, pioli think much more of his future than you do. If pioli though that we was a future 5th or 6th receiver, he wouldn't have signed him.

The team makes their decisions based on variety of factors, including contact and projected on-field performance. If the potential were the same, contract terms would certainly be important.

I am pretty sure the Patriots make most of their roster decisions based on on-field performance. Contracts don't win games. I see Washington as a pretty good 5th or 6th WR nothing more.

Kelly Washington - 5 year average 2,648,000 more than the top two receivers from last year combined:
Caldwell - $1,550,000
Gaffney - $595,000

What is Washington's ceiling? He has a career high 31 catches.

It seems like they can get more production from street free agents at a higher discount.

2007 - 600,000
2008 - 5,760,000
2009 - 1,960,000
2010 - 2,460,000
2011 - 2,460,000

Re: Chad Jackson...Cut?

I can pretty much guarantee that BJ's contributions to the team in his 1st 2 years will have vastly exceeded injury prone CJ's 1st 2 season's contributions.

The kickoff return for a TD at Indy in 2003 comes to mind.

i see a non sense an eventual CJ cut

i hope this will not happen

i have still hopes on him ; perhaps not this year but from the next one, after he will be 100% recovered

i see a non sense an eventual CJ cut

i hope this will not happen

i have still hopes on him ; perhaps not this year but from the next one, after he will be 100% recovered

He'll be PUP'd or IR'd. There is no way they cut him. What would be the benefit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes