PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Moss' future with NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wishful thinking on your part. You know he'll be back in New England next year, ring or not.

Meh, I'm basing this off of Randy's personality.

Remember, this is the same guy that said...

"I play when I want to."

"No one else cares, why should I?"

"Next time I'll shake my **** at 'em."

:( I hate our front office...

Redskins are close......it's just the offense in my opinion. They could use a better GM and cordinators but they aren't far off.

"I play when I want to."

First, the last quote you cited is one of the funniest comments in history of sports. Right up there with Ocho Cinco's "They got a better chance of findin Osama than stoppin me tonight!". Second, there's also some other quotes of his you chose to omit because they weren't on lame-ass espn.

"I've always been a big fan of Tommy's. I've always said, Peyton's got his recievers, why can't Tommy have his?"
"I love it here"
and "The dolphins are gay and I caught balls with my armpit over two of their defenders"

Last edited:
On EEI:

"There is basically zero chance Randy Moss will not be back with NE for the long term". Adam went on to say Moss is the happiest he's been in his career, Randy loves the area, the team philosophy, coaches, QB, his teammates, and the organization.

Hopefully he's correct, and Moss will be around for a long time.

He's made me a convert. I hope they can get him signed long-term with a favorable contract. He and TB seem to have a good relationship and knows that TB has restructured his contract in the past to get other guys signed. Maybe some of that is rubbing off on him.

On the Plus side, Randy has already made A TON of money from his days with the Vikes and Raiders. He is going to make $5MM from the Pats THIS year (which in some circles is a "ton of money".

I think the Pat could get Moss back for something in the area of a 3 year deal at about $20MM with a $10 Million dollar signing bonus. But Bottom line, I don't think the Pats will shell out more than around $7MM/yr, MAX. On the open Market, he'd get closer to $9MM. The question is will he take comfort over the bucks.

On of the reasons the Pats can't go after him harder is that they will have a LOT of guys to take care of next season. Will Stallworth restructure in the $4MM range? What will it take to keep Asante? Who are we going to bring in to take Tedy's and Junior's places. What do we do about Vince, Randall, Eugene, etc???? Those are a lot of guys, plus we are going to have 4 first day picks (right now) to deal with.

If we pull this superbowl thing off this year, Its going to be hard to keep ALL these guys "down on the farm" no matter how much they all like it here.

"I play when I want to."

Nice try on the first one, but that is the most taken out of context quote in the history of journalism. Randy was asked if he needed the other guys on the team to help him get pumped up for the game and he responded that he doesn't need anybody else and "I play when I want to play". The quote never had anything to do with him taking plays off, which it was erroneously attached to. FAIL.

As for the second quote, since that's never going to be an issue in New England, it's completely irrelevant.

here's some more straws for you to grasp at...

straws070706.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my take. First, I think it's going to take more than 3 years 20 Million. I'd say at least 3 years 25 million.

Second, as much as I like Stallworth, we can afford to lose him if Chad can produce. I think Washington and Brown are gone next year.

I'd love to keep Welker, Stallworth, Moss, Jackson, Gafney/Washington next year but I doubt we could make it work. I figure we've got a shot at 3 guys and a couple of JAGs for next year. That means possibly extending Gafney or picking up someone in the off season. Moss and Welker are key players to keep and Jackson could fill the void if Stallworth's numbers don't work out for us.

What I'd really like to get is a stud left tackle from the draft and one or two more linebackers who can play either inside or outside. Beyond that, everything else is icing on the cake.

"I play when I want to."

I thought that was the fins motto?:confused:

I guess theirs is "I play when it's preseason". 4 - 0 in preseason. 2007 dolphins == 1972 dolphins. :D

Better than Montana to Rice? Dream on. Marvin Harrison isn't 1/10th the receiver Jerry Rice was. Not even close. And most would agree Montana was better than Pey-a-ton.

What, are you 12 years old? DId you miss the Montana-Rice era? Sure seems like it.

Montana-to-Rice was great, but saying Marvin Harrison "isn't 1/10th the receiver Jerry Rice was" is pretty outrageous hyperbole. He may not be AS GOOD, but it's not like they're incomparable players. Harrison has been a special, fantastically productive receiver.

On the Plus side, Randy has already made A TON of money from his days with the Vikes and Raiders. He is going to make $5MM from the Pats THIS year (which in some circles is a "ton of money".

I think the Pat could get Moss back for something in the area of a 3 year deal at about $20MM with a $10 Million dollar signing bonus. But Bottom line, I don't think the Pats will shell out more than around $7MM/yr, MAX. On the open Market, he'd get closer to $9MM. The question is will he take comfort over the bucks.

This is very true...I honestly believe Moss doesnt care to be the highest paid wide receiver in the NFL...he's been there...done that...

I think what he's looking for is a team that can give him a good chance to get some championship rings...to cement his legacy...

I think he would take $7MM/yr to stay in New England...my only fear is what if...say...the Colts offer him $9MM/yr...now that would be a scary thought...and possible...due to Harrison getting older...and he might take up that one offer since business is business...

Montana-to-Rice was great, but saying Marvin Harrison "isn't 1/10th the receiver Jerry Rice was" is pretty outrageous hyperbole. He may not be AS GOOD, but it's not like they're incomparable players. Harrison has been a special, fantastically productive receiver.

It could be argued Jerry Rice is one of the top 5 greatest playersto lace up a set of cleats. I don't think anyone would have the material to make the same argument about Harrison.

He's a great player, but Rice he's not and by a long shot. I think sometimes people forget how good Jerry Rice was.

If Moss agree a longer extension but not big time money. It will show everyone he care only about winning.

Moss and Welker were the difference in our win against the Colts this year. Stop that Colts. Not.

Welker = field position. Darn, you were good bud.

Moss = Brady.

Everyone thinks of the QB. And we have in my opinion one of the best ever. But you cannot throw to Calwell and expect to be a shining star.

Moss is the equivalent WR of Brady in the QB position.

I am not a late comer. The day we signed him, I could barely control myself. Can this be true, can it happen?? The guy is flat out, flat out awesome. I love the guy, like I love Brady.

Give him the money. Every single last dollar of it.

Oh, and Welker and Stallworth, well you make my day too!!!!!!!!!!!

Moss, you are the cat's meow to me. Over the top, flat out good.

Stay with us bud. Retire with us. Thanks if you do.

It could be argued Jerry Rice is one of the top 5 greatest playersto lace up a set of cleats. I don't think anyone would have the material to make the same argument about Harrison.

He's a great player, but Rice he's not and by a long shot. I think sometimes people forget how good Jerry Rice was.

The point is not to compare Rice with Harrison, the point is that Harrison is certainoy comparable with the non-Rice greats.

If Moss agree a longer extension but not big time money. It will show everyone he care only about winning.

If only you care bout grammar and spelling as much he care bout winning.

The point is not to compare Rice with Harrison, the point is that Harrison is certainoy comparable with the non-Rice greats.

When looking at all time greats by position..by far the biggest gap is at WR where Rice is #1 with no one even sniffing his spot. So its not necessarily an insult to Marvin, its a testament to Rice's greatness. If Moss didnt waste 2 years in Oakland he would be there but because he did, even he will not be close to Rice, at least statistically, when his career is done. IMO Harrison will end up as one of the top 5 WR to ever play the game though, no doubt.

First, the last quote you cited is one of the funniest comments in history of sports. Right up there with Ocho Cinco's "They got a better chance of findin Osama than stoppin me tonight!". Second, there's also some other quotes of his you chose to omit because they weren't on lame-ass espn.

"I've always been a big fan of Tommy's. I've always said, Peyton's got his recievers, why can't Tommy have his?"
"I love it here"
and "The dolphins are gay and I caught balls with my armpit over two of their defenders"

Great, I heard that first comment you showed and what does that say? He plays for a good QB, he's happy about that, who wouldn't be?

He called the Dolphins gay? And you're proud of that? :rolleyes:

Nice try on the first one, but that is the most taken out of context quote in the history of journalism. Randy was asked if he needed the other guys on the team to help him get pumped up for the game and he responded that he doesn't need anybody else and "I play when I want to play". The quote never had anything to do with him taking plays off, which it was erroneously attached to. FAIL.

As for the second quote, since that's never going to be an issue in New England, it's completely irrelevant.

Have you ever heard of the term, "a man's true character is tested not in victory but rather in defeat?"

When a game was in hand who was the guy who left the sideline when there was still time on the clock? Who was the guy found sitting on the sideline slouching on the bench pouting like a little baby? Who's the guy notorious for giving up on passes resulting in interceptions?

How can you possibly say Randy has been anything but a terrible teamate for most of his career?

My god some of you guys find ways to fabricate anything and everything.

Last edited:
Great, I heard that first comment you showed and what does that say? He plays for a good QB, he's happy about that, who wouldn't be?

He called the Dolphins gay? And you're proud of that? :rolleyes:

i can think of a few people that wouldn't be happy with you. Mainly the ones that would have benefited from the charity that you refused to pay.

but maybe that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back