PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: McDaniels will join Pats (Updated: Now Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about a bright future for Patsfans! I expect Lloyd in 2012 now. Lloyd, Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez with that joke of a schedule, 2012 will be an interesting season.

HAHAHA! I love it!!

Sounds good to me. Welcome back, Josh.

At the very least he'll have knowledge of how the NFC teams attacked his (obviously not exactly the same as the 2011 Pats offense, but comparable) offensive system this year. Would be a nice little bonus should the Pats reach the Super Bowl.

And welcome home, Josh!

Last edited:
Talk about a bright future for Patsfans! I expect Lloyd in 2012 now. Lloyd, Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez with that joke of a schedule, 2012 will be an interesting season.

Joke schedule? Maybe I have to go take another look. I was pretty sure that I saw quite a few current playoff teams on next year's schedule.

Joke schedule? Maybe I have to go take another look. I was pretty sure that I saw quite a few current playoff teams on next year's schedule.

The AFC South, NFC West, Jets look screwed, Bills and Fins are bleh, as of now the Schedule looks pretty easy.

Happy to see McDaniels back but I'm not sure what to make of both McDaniels and BOB on the sideline. Both are strong-willed and hot-headed and have different ideas about how to run offenses. I know McDaniels will be in an assistant capacity but in the heat of the game, will he feel impelled to speak up?

My thoughts exactly. I have to think there will be some sort of arrangement where only one is on the sideline. And I'm thinking it's BOB ... not a whole lot of this year's offensive players played with Josh.

Also ... I'm going to go out on a limb and say this must be the first time a team has ever added a coordinator who recently ran a record-setting offense to its staff between the regular season and playoffs. hard to imagine it's happened before.

As an aside, Schefter is also reporting that the Chiefs are expected to remove the "Interim" tag from Romeo, so congrats to him....

I agree. I think that this a good situation for Romeo. Really happy for him and the Chiefs. They made a good choice, IMO. :rocker:

Happy to see McDaniels back but I'm not sure what to make of both McDaniels and BOB on the sideline. Both are strong-willed and hot-headed and have different ideas about how to run offenses. I know McDaniels will be in an assistant capacity but in the heat of the game, will he feel impelled to speak up?

I'm sure McDaniels is smart enough to know how to defer during the playoffs.

Good points. Chemistry amongst coaches is just as important.

I do think BB will be sensitive to the fact that guys like Chad O'Shea and Brian Ferentz have been involved all year and to throw JMcD into the mix during the playoffs might disrupt things. JMcD strikes me as a respectful guy who won't throw his weight around and do whatever BB wants him to do.

I don't know what the dynamic is between BOB and JMcD but I think with BB overseeing things it'll be fine. If BOB were not leaving for another gig I'd be a bit more concerned....

JMcD may show up on the sideline, but it'll be in an advisory capacity if anything. Might see him in the booth so not to give off the impression as the new guy mucking up the works. He'll obviously have some input into the gameplan and do some scouting too.

So...

The report is that McDaniels is onboard basically immediately. He will help BB and BOB in game plan preparation and film work.

BOB will have the O.C. role on game days.

So there it is, and it's the most logical approach, IMO. McDaniels helps take some of the daily load off of BOB's shoulders, learns what changes there have been, and maybe helps to give the playcalling just a slight twist. BOB will still work both jobs, but will probably have a bit more time for either sleep or phone calls, and he'll be the man making the calls on game day.

I feel bad for the Chiefs and Cassel, who could really have used McDaniels next season, but I'm loving this for the Patriots.

From last to first for McD. Pretty amazing:rocker:

The AFC South, NFC West, Jets look screwed, Bills and Fins are bleh, as of now the Schedule looks pretty easy.

Yeah, I was just about to go take a look at the teams on the schedule. I only glanced at it the day it was released, so I don't remember every team that was on it. Man, I'm just so excited with the developments.

Does anyone feel that this playoff is shaping up to be different than the last few? I really feel strangely very good about the possibilities in this year's playoffs for our beloved Pats.

Last edited:

Stick McD in the coaches booth as an extra pair of eyes to see what the D is doing.

Good to hear. I think he can definitely help this season giving O'Brien a fresh perspective.

One thing that is good that people aren't talking about is that he should be a good influence on Ryan Mallet to potentially make him the heir apparent or at least great trade bait since I fully expect Brady to be an elite Qb well into his 60s. McDaniels is a very good QB teacher.

Fantastic news ... I like the idea of McDaniels analyzing the Pats Offensive tendancies and giving feedback to BOB. This is still BOB's show and he will be calling the shots. Nice continuity ... I see McD as the heir apparent to BB, with BB kicking upsatairs to more a GM role. It also allows McD to groom the replacement for Brady (Mallett).

Love it.

Anyone else picturing Mangini's face as he learns that one of the prodigal sons is being brought back home?

One thing that is good that people aren't talking about is that he should be a good influence on Ryan Mallet to potentially make him the heir apparent or at least great trade bait since I fully expect Brady to be an elite Qb well into his 60s. McDaniels is a very good QB teacher.

Very good point!

Anyone else picturing Mangini's face as he learns that one of the prodigal sons is being brought back home?

I'm sure he'll eventually have to comment on it during one of his appearances on 'First Take' or 'NFL Live.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes