PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Mankins, Patriots agree to six-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news! Also should clear some cap space for this season, if I'm not mistaken.

Getting upset and being a bit mouthy isn't professional, but the Patriots are 100% cold blooded professionals. They aren't going to let a bit of crap like that get in teh way of what's best for the team.

Fantastic news and long overdue!! :rocker:

It's great that they've finally locked him up AND get rid of any potential distractions it may have caused. VERY excited about the upcoming season!!! :D

He's our best lineman and the league's best guard. You can't skimp on protection when Tom Brady is your QB. I would vote this as the most important move we made this offseason. Smart move by a smart organization.

Thank you Mr. Kraft for not letting ego get in the way of your team's success. You think Mike Brown gets this deal done?

I am so HAPPY!!!

to all you cap gurus that say G is not a value position... clueless. You Exten the best GUARD in the land b/c you need to BEEF up that line fir Tom (F ucking) Brady. Brady is the Franchise we must protect him the best way possible and I am glad our FO knows what the4 hell it is doing. TFB is on his last contract as a Patriot. We must win w/ the best QB in the land during his deal.

Tom Brady will be Protected by an elite line for the next 4-5 yrs AT THE LEAST. Mankins just signed a 6 year deal

Solder--Mankins--(?)--Cannon--Vollmer for the next 5 years. Cannon is recovered from chemotherapy and will play next year as a Guard

The PATRIOT Offensive Line
Mankins: 6-4 310
Vollmer: 6-8 315
Solder: 6-8 319
Cannon: 6-5 358

I CHALLENGE Any DEFENSE to handle this ELITE LINE. Cannon is out. so Connolly will be playing this season

Let's pray for Mike Brewster. :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Christmas in August. ;)

Pieces are falling into place....

I wonder what the Mankins deal will do for the patriots on the cap. Miguel has us now $11million under with the restructuring of Albert and Chad.

There could be one other big signing coming or I might also be dreaming.

I wonder what the Mankins deal will do for the patriots on the cap. Miguel has us now $11million under with the restructuring of Albert and Chad.

It's not surprising to see the well run organizations re-structuring deals and giving themselves great cap position.

Miguel is assuming Chad got a $1.5M signing bonus. Reiss now indicates he gets a $1.5M roster bonus each season. He used the term pro rated for all, so that may indicate they are tied to games played. Roster bonuses are not by nature amortized/prorated unless they are converted to signing bonus. Miguel also presumed we took the $3M in cap exemption credits because we were so close to the cap after the recent signings. Back those out and add in another $1M for Chad this year and and we are back around $7 under. Mankins deal may also not be structured to gain maximum cap relief if he's close to averaging $8M.

The Pats're Signing Mankins!! WOOOO!!!

Funny_Pictures_11317.jpg

Miguel is assuming Chad got a $1.5M signing bonus. Reiss now indicates he gets a $1.5M roster bonus each season. He used the term pro rated for all, so that may indicate they are tied to games played. Roster bonuses are not by nature amortized/prorated unless they are converted to signing bonus. Miguel also presumed we took the $3M in cap exemption credits because we were so close to the cap after the recent signings. Back those out and add in another $1M for Chad this year and and we are back around $7 under. Mankins deal may also not be structured to gain maximum cap relief if he's close to averaging $8M.

So, we may gain another $2mil in cap space with Mankins who is now at $10mill on the cap.

Still should be enough to make one more good addition (if that is in the wind) and still have the 4-5mill or so needed for future signings, if needed down the road, because of an injury.

I'm not going to speculate on guys that may be additions. But there is always a cut made by teams that think a younger player fit their plans better than a vet that still has something in the tank.
William Roberts pops into my mind as a guy the Patriots jumped on when he was cut by the Giants. He had one real good year with the Patriots. Then, Junior was another.

Last edited:
I don't see why we cannot save $4M from cap. With a little creativity (for example, a split bonus) could save us even more.

EXAMPLE
$12M bonus
$4M salary increasing at $1M each year.

Total $51M over 6 years or $8.5M per year.
The 2011 salary could be guaranteed or not.

2011 cap = $4M plus $2M = $6M for a saving of over $4M

Apparently I am the only one upset that Mankins only has 6 years to live.

Huge huge deal. And also another example of why you should never say never. It seemed absolutely impossible just one season ago. Really happy though.

I honestly never thought it was out of the question.

Logan's always been ALL HEART, the bewilderingly psychotic episodes of the last two years not withstanding.

I always attributed them, ultimately, to his being manipulated by his scumbag Agent.

Of course, I'm just speculating.

How freaking AWESOME to get him in the fold for the next half dozen years!! :rocker:

What a FA we've had. The fact that we were able to resign Light and now extend Mankins is just a testament to how well this team is being run and what it means for guys to be a part of this organization.

Congrats to Mankins!

I didn't think the two sides would recover from last year's mud slinging. Now that they have, I hope Mankins is a happy camper and will keep Brady upright all season long.

Ochocinco likes this move!

Presuming that Cannon is on the PUP list, the following OL's are on the roster
Wendell
Ohrnberger
LeVoir or Maneri

I suspect that we will be able to pick up a veteran backup for some position on the OL. Obviously, a player who could start at RG or C would be ideal, as well as a swing backup OT.

So, we may gain another $2mil in cap space with Mankins who is now at $10mill on the cap.

Still should be enough to make one more good addition (if that is in the wind) and still have the 4-5mill or so needed for future signings, if needed down the road, because of an injury.

I'm not going to speculate on guys that may be additions. But there is always a cut made by teams that think a younger player fit their plans better than a vet that still has something in the tank.
William Roberts pops into my mind as a guy the Patriots jumped on when he was cut by the Giants. He had one real good year with the Patriots. Then, Junior was another.

Great, good news.. glad that this part of the Patriots Saga is over..

great to see the extension. when there was a possibility that mankins would leave i started hearing from clayton how mankins is the best guard in the league. now that mankins is staying i bet you won't hear clayton singing his praises anymore. think asante. espn, what a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back