PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Expect Harsh Punishments if wrongdoing found in NFL investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schefter is probably the most Pro-Pats guy in the national media. That is why he gets all the Patriots scoops nationally. He is their goto guy.

Mort is not a fan of the Pats though.

Robo I don't see it, Schefter & Mortensen work hand in hand just my opinion.

Yes, the jets were in violation of the rules. My OPINION is that, unless there was direct contact, the patriots will (and should) receive little or no compensation.

Then change the rule. Otherwise, this is cameraplacementgate/deflategate, which is the whole point.

First Of All I can't stand that Doosh Schefter and g'friend Moretensen with anything they report and they're blatent Pats Haters and can't wait to report anything about Pats that is negative..

If Woody is found to have tampered then penalty should be a No1 or No 2 Jets Pick because when BB came to NE after bein Jets HC for a Min.I believe Pats had to give Jets a No 1 or 2 Pick. We're not talkin about a 3rd or 4th round player here. Revis is clearly equivilent for 1 or 2.

This is the kind of crazy that happens when people go too far into the bag for a team.

Then change the rule. Otherwise, this is cameraplacementgate/deflategate, which is the whole point.

1) I agree that the jets should be punished.

2) Where does the rule stipulate that the patriots should receive compensation?

Schefter is probably the most Pro-Pats guy in the national media. That is why he gets all the Patriots scoops nationally. He is their goto guy.

Mort is not a fan of the Pats though.

I think due to lowered expectations, remaining objective and not being biased against the Pats (how I see Schefter) stands for "Pro-Pats" in the national media these days.

This is the kind of crazy that happens when people go too far into the bag for a team.

lol Deus I hear ya! Gotta tell ya after that Colts PO Game and all that talk about Deflategate for 2 Weeks tryin to enjoy goin to SB and havin to hear all negative towards BB & TB on WFAN here in NY papers NFLN players Mediots takin shots at us, yeah it did hurt as a Pats fan but I'm a Proud Pats Fan '76 my Grogan & Co so if I'm homer, guilty as charged!

Where does the rule stipulate that the patriots should receive compensation?

Past punishment for tampering has involved swap of draft picks among the two teams, and forfeiture of another pick by the offending team.

glm seriously I'm gonna go through all post I've written many times and either liked or like mine over both these clowns. Go ahead now tell me his partner Mortensen is pro Pats. Yeah I thought so.

If you think Schefter is a hater, you are a victim of your own biases.

I'm not sure about Mortenson. He may just be an idiot with no better ideas than getting on board the gravy train.

If you think Schefter is a hater, you are a victim of your own biases.

I'm not sure about Mortenson. He may just be an idiot with no better ideas than getting on board the gravy train.

YO what's with love for Schefter? lol All up in his jock! Unless he changed after there was no story about deflategate and is NOW retractin and givin Pats love, OK but I haven't looked at NFLN BSPN or anything since Revis fiasco but Schefter at that time was ALL OVER that deflategate story without creditable evidence.

The 49ers got caught tampering with Lance Briggs, and even though Briggs decided to stay with the Bears, the punishment was a swap of third round picks.

Considering the Jets blatantly tampered with Revis and Revis went back to the Jets. This punishment should be more severe than the Briggs case. No question about that.

I rather not use the Briggs case as the sceanrio was so different than the Revis one. The bears called SF on a trade for briggs, SF called rosenhaus to find out what the contract demands would be, the bears then had a change of heart and decided to sign him long term, an offer was made, Rosenhausl laughed and said SF would offer this and the bears filed charges saying they never authorized the agent contact.

The Detroit case was much more similar as a asst coach mentioned that HE would be interested in a KC player if he was cut. Now an assistant coach has no juice tosign anyone, unlike woody, the player in question was a bottom 53 player and was not in negotiations with the chiefs.

YO what's with love for Schefter? lol All up in his jock! Unless he changed after there was no story about deflategate and is NOW retractin and givin Pats love, OK but I haven't looked at NFLN BSPN or anything since Revis fiasco but Schefter at that time was ALL OVER that deflategate story without creditable evidence.
I Thought he was relatively even handed during deflategate.

Anyone have an idea when a decision will be hand down? I was thinkin maybe ASAP with Draft comin up that it might be soon?

1) I agree that the jets should be punished.

2) Where does the rule stipulate that the patriots should receive compensation?

Past practice is an accepted precedent for awarding compensation. In every case of tampering where charges were levied by the aggrieved team compensation was awarded. The pats with Parcells, Detroit and SF.

i just hope the jets don't trade away their picks before goodell comes up with a punishment. there are rumors of rivers going to the jets, and most certainly SD will demand the 6th overall pick in return.

No, that is not "all he said" he said that and he said

1. That he would have signed Revis for the contract that he signed for in NE. That is notifying Revis thru the media that 2 years and 32 mill is not a problem.
2. That they made a mistake in not signing him and the guy who made that mistake is no longer there, I fired him.
3. And to counter the "woody is just too stupid and did not know it was tampering" He was just warned by the league last year regarding comments he made to the media about Desean Jackson.
4. Then to compound the issue, The jets FO leaks internal discussions that the owner is pressing the GM to sign Revis. Not to fix the secondary but to sign Revis. This is reported by Mehta and attributed to jet sources. No public disclaimer is issued even though such a media leak is in itself tampering.
5. The weekend of the Negotiations between the pats and Revis, Mehta once again publishes what the jets offer will be and is only wrong by 1mil of guaranteed money.

The rule makes no allowances for "grades" of tampering. There are three scenarios mentioned,-
A. directly B, thru an agent C, thru the media.

Now as far as damage to the Pats negotiating position.
1. The jets were his#1 team on his list to play for. He said so withing days of signing with the pats, he did not sign there and with the pats only because the jets said they were not interested.
2. Woody's press conference now puts the jets in the drivers seat, with the owner saying a mistake was made, 2 years and 32 mill is no issue, we want you back.
3. Just like last year, when Revis turned down other teams to go to the pats, it could be assumed with reason, that he would prefer to stay with the pats again over any other team than the jets, as long as he was the highest paid corner in the game. The pats were certainly prepared to do so.
4. If Woody said at that press conference that Revis caused him more problems than what he was worth and he was looking forward to a new 'jet age" that did not include Revis, Reviswould have signed with the pats. The only thing IMO that caused him not to sign was the staeement of interest by Woody and the subsequent leaked offer.

I don't think that a switch of 1s is called for either. Too much tampering goes on to punish 1 team so harshly, but this is so much worse than the detroit case where an asst coach made a comment to a media type that that punishment should not be considered as a precedent.

I agreed with your post, but strongly disagree with your conclusion. There is plenty of precedence for a team LOSING the first-round pick, and even surrendering it to another team - in both cases, the Patriots.

If the Jest lost their first round pick and had to swap seconds with the Pats, that would be about as low as I could go and think justice was done in this case. Honestly, given what happened with cameraplacementgate and BBgate, I think the Jest should just hand their pick over and get docked a lower round pick.

Not expecting it, but it would be fitting, given the precedents set by the league.

Pick number 16 forfeited to the Jest for hiring BB. Think about that for a long time. Pick #16, not traded, but forfeited to the Jest. Revis is a HOF corner, among the top one or two in the league at his position by consensus> I disagree with the commenters who say this didn't cost the Pats anything - if Revis hadn't been clearly signaled that Woody would open the bank vault for him (to the place he considered his home all along), I do not believe he would have gotten anywhere near March 11 without a contract extension with the team who had brought him to the Lombardi and a place where he had enjoyed his time.

Are you confusing Schefter with someone else? I've never detected any negative Pats vibe from him, and he wasn't part of the media witch hunt surrounding deflate gate.

There is no precedent for more compensation than a third round swap (Head coaches are different animals and were considered trades.). As for a higher swap, I'll believe it when I see it. The fact is the rule doesn't state punishment requirements. As such, it's just as likely that any additional penalties will not accrue to the Pats (different but similar to the limits on compensatory picks) and will just be forfeiture or, more likely, a massive fine. We have to wait and see.

The team that should be the most worried are the Fish. They're going to get squished. In this case, I can see a forfeiture of a 1st and a swap of third rounders AND a massive fine. Here there appears to be direct evidence. This could be the place that RG makes his point 'harshly' and not the Jets.

I'm clueless.
What are the details on the Fins tampering? What direct evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back