PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Cassel (and Vrabel) to Chiefs for 2009 2nd-rounder [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs ! [merged]

lc's 2nd this year is like a 1st. next year pats will get what cassel is worth....could be a 1st. at worst a 2nd. great move and quick...gives pats time to take advantage of free agency. awesome move.

I dont see nothin' in NFL:com

The Kansas City Chiefs have found their starting quarterback. NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports the Chiefs acquired QB Matt Cassel from the New England Patriots in a trade.

The teams have agreed on compensation, but no details of the deal were immediately available.
DW Toys

This is the only thing that would have made me feel better about Vrabel leaving. We better be getting the #3 pick overall...

Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs !

Bottom line for me is if after giving up Cassel and Vrabel we do not get KC's 1 THIS year, I don't like this trade at all.

well...if we converted a 7th rounder to 2nd and another next yrs pick..its not that bad.i know we all want more.but i personally dont want the 3rd overall and the money involved.and pioli knows how to run a hard bargain so i doubt he gave up the 3rd with all the salary cap space he has and the opportunity now to add another piece with the QB settled.

I ll take this year 2 round and next year 2 round before the 3rd pick. Not only in economic terms . Bump 20 picks for Cassel is crap

and there were lots of media people saying the pats wouldn't trade cassel to the chiefs because of the relationship and not wanting to look "funny" or awkward.

I have to admit I was one of those people who wondered if that might be an issue. :blush:

Glad I was EL WRONGO!!!!!! WTG Pats and best of luck to you Matty! Thanks for the memories.

:woohoo:

look harder . try the top of the page.
It didn't load for me at first either... I had to go back three times before I saw it. Their redundant servers aren't quite in sync with each other.

This is the only thing that would have made me feel better about Vrabel leaving. We better be getting the #3 pick overall...

maybe they are 2 different picks -2nd for cassel and 4th for vrabel. i dont mind it except we have sucked for some range in 2nd round picks and we already have 2 this yr.

well...if we converted a 7th rounder to 2nd and another next yrs pick..its not that bad.i know we all want more.but i personally dont want the 3rd overall and the money involved.and pioli knows how to run a hard bargain so i doubt he gave up the 3rd with all the salary cap space he has and the opportunity now to add another piece with the QB settled.

if it means getting aaron curry, then I'll take the #3 in a heartbeat.......who cares about the money part.....the pats are 67M under the cap for next year and over 100M for 2011.......they can sign everyone........

Why are people so caught up on the #3 pick? There is no way in hell that the Patriots would pay that much money to an unproven player.

I swear, all these years and fans have still learned nothing.

Dude, you're right. That makes complete sense. I am hoping we trade Brady, a sixth, for like a third or fourth. Great deal.

I'm not big on getting the #3 pick either.

I'd love their #2 and their #1 next year. :)

I know everyone is has this new cap room spent on FA's however, I see them getting wilfork done with this as well

KC's getting a lot of value with a top young QB and an excellent veteran who's smarts and locker room presence are off the charts.

BB is never sentimental when it comes to business. We simply have to be getting a ton of value somehow, even if that #3 isn't involved.

I'm actually not a fan of those top few picks either, unless they have a big time player that fits available. To little reward to the risk IMO.

Last edited:

Thanks, Bernard Pollard. He created Matt Cassel. Now Cassel is a Chief.

Why are people so caught up on the #3 pick? There is no way in hell that the Patriots would pay that much money to an unproven player.

I swear, all these years and fans have still learned nothing.

Good call because the never drafted Richard Seymour early.

Mo, you listening to EEI too?...the Mutt is goin' crazy on his Tandy 800

These guys never do their homework. Chris Price did. Lots of us did, although lots more of us didn't too...'cause hysteria and venting is easier. He couldn't grasp the significance all AM of Vrabel's trade being predicated on a roster bonus due today... Kept saying sure he might have been cut but why the rush to trade him if not a cap squeeze... Duh, it was because he obviously wasn't interested in waiving or delaying that roster bonus and he isn't a value here at the cap or cash he had remaining. This was a great deal for all sides as Pioli gets a crusty, defensive patriots way leader who can still play and will mentor a young defense and Vrabel gets the full balance of his contract from a young team in building mode with a ton of cap and a little light on winning experience.

The crap about they can't deal was always hogwash. The best deals are the result of solid relationships. Supposedly KC's 2nd and a conditional 2010, which is fine if that can be a #1. There 2nd is close enough to a 2009 first that the deal is right in the Patriots wheelhouse. And a good place for Matt to land on a conditional pick. Beats the hell out of Detroit... It's a win-win-win situation.

Good luck to Mutt's endorsement of the Vikings as contenders with the addition of a more affordable retread jag QB who single handedly launched to Colts on a playoff berth course in 2009... When will people grasp the significance of the position in 99/100 playoff runs... Particularly in the AFC if you have to face elite QB'd teams like Brady's and Manning's or Big Ben and even Rivers' you better have a QB in addition to whatever else you got or more often than not you're playoff fodder. You can make some hay in the NFC but eventually you face the music.

People who would rather have the 23 pick than the 3 pick are not dealing with a full deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes