PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Banta-Cain re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TBC Resigned.

So quick...not surprised...GOOD!!

Excellent news. However, I have to think that he resigned for a cheaper price. If that's so, then we jettisoned three other players and saved some money on him. Too much smoke for there not to be fire. There's a midseason trade coming in here somewhere. I'm just not sure who and what position it will be.

Either way though, good to have TBC back. He was having a really good year so far.

Re: Schefter: TBC Re-signed.

lol.. .WELCOME BACK!!!

<insert very technical analysis of the salary cap ramifications of doing this here.>

Excellent news. However, I have to think that he resigned for a cheaper price. If that's so, then we jettisoned three other players and saved some money on him. Too much smoke for there not to be fire. There's a midseason trade coming in here somewhere. I'm just not sure who and what position it will be.

Either way though, good to have TBC back. He was having a really good year so far.

He couldn't have since he was on a veteran minimum deal and after week one as a vested vet it was guaranteed... He now has a dead cap # equal to the remainder of his old deal and a new cap # equal to his new salary and prorated bonus (since it's likely a two+ year deal). We're not saving money on any of these cuts except Matthews (if he's not also resigned...).

Not surprised by his quick return and glad to have him back - it's good to make it official.

Still so :confused:

He can't get cheaper than the vet minimum he was already signed for. It's probably a multi-year extension to get around the 12 month rule.

My guess is Tate and LeVoir are taking Galloway and Mathews places, while TBC (and Alexander?) are being extended. No fire in the sense of a trade.

He couldn't have since he was on a veteran minimum deal and after week one as a vested vet it was guaranteed... He now has a dead cap # equal to the remainder of his old deal and a new cap # equal to his new salary and prorated bonus (since it's likely a two+ year deal). We're not saving money on any of these cuts except Matthews (if he's not also resigned...).

So, why all the cuts? That's what I can't figure out. Some news to come, perhaps? :confused:

Why do I have to keep repeating this to you.

It is physically impossible for TBC to sign for a cheaper price. IMPOSSIBLE.

He was signed for Vet Min, and because of that, when he was cut, his entire contract amount became dead cap (minsal contracts are guaranteed to vets if they're on the roster week 1). Resigning him to Vet min again accrues an additional 280K of cap space.

The absolute best case cap scenario for this is TBC's cap number went up by 280K. There is no possible way it went down.

So, why all the cuts? That's what I can't figure out. Some news to come, perhaps? :confused:

Most likely its guys on 1 year deals getting extended. You can't renegotiate a deal within 12 months. You can cut him and resign him to a longer deal.

He can't get cheaper than the vet minimum he was already signed for. It's probably a multi-year extension to get around the 12 month rule.

My guess is Tate and LeVoir are taking Galloway and Mathews places, while TBC (and Alexander?) are being extended. No fire in the sense of a trade.

Sounds right to me. I think we'll see more OT's playing 3rd tight ends if they don't end up bringing Mathews back.

Most likely its guys on 1 year deals getting extended. You can't renegotiate a deal within 12 months. You can cut him and resign him to a longer deal.

Concur... his long term value to the team outweighs the increase in cap hit the new signing will incur.

Why do I have to keep repeating this to you.

It is physically impossible for TBC to sign for a cheaper price. IMPOSSIBLE.

He was signed for Vet Min, and because of that, when he was cut, his entire contract amount became dead cap (minsal contracts are guaranteed to vets if they're on the roster week 1). Resigning him to Vet min again accrues an additional 280K of cap space.

The absolute best case cap scenario for this is TBC's cap number went up by 280K. There is no possible way it went down.

First, I was unaware that TBC signed for the vet minimum. I'm not a cap geek like you apparently are and have admitted that in the past. The players whose contracts that I am semi-familiar with are the bigger named ones such as Brady, Moss, Welker, Mayo, etc. Second, I have yet to see you explain "anything" to me regarding this in the past.

We know they had about $4 mill in cap apace after Seau signing. I'm assuming that TBC now has a minimum of a 2 year contract after today. So BB wants the guy next year and wants to use some of this year's cap to pay for next year. Essentially, give him a double salary this year and low salary next year. TBC plays ball, gets more money, more up front money, and a two year contract. The Pats spend some '09 cap, sign a valued guy to an extension mostly paid for this year...Viola!

Welcome back TBC. Looks like the Peppers trade fell through...:p

We know they had about $4 mill in cap apace after Seau signing. I'm assuming that TBC now has a minimum of a 2 year contract after today. So BB wants the guy next year and wants to use some of this year's cap to pay for next year. Essentially, give him a double salary this year and low salary next year. TBC plays ball, gets more money, more up front money, and a two year contract. The Pats spend some '09 cap, sign a valued guy to an extension mostly paid for this year...Viola!

I am fairly certain that when a player signs a contract during the season, its pro-rated based on the number of weeks left in the regular season. So, TBC got his guaranteed money since he was vested, but then gets some pro-rated cash going forward. Not necessarily double the money, but definitely more than he was making.

Yes, it uses up some of the 2009 cap. But that's about it.

I am fairly certain that when a player signs a contract during the season, its pro-rated based on the number of weeks left in the regular season. So, TBC got his guaranteed money since he was vested, but then gets some pro-rated cash going forward. Not necessarily double the money, but definitely more than he was making.

Yes, it uses up some of the 2009 cap. But that's about it.

It can be any amount the Patriots are willing to pay for his services. Maybe BB saw enough of TBC to realize this guy is a force worthy of much more than league minimums.
Example....TBC salary before cut $600K, new 2009 $1.5 mill salary, guaranteed (costing Pats $932,500) 2010 salary of $600K....result= TBC earns about $2.1 mill over 2 years...and 2009 cap hit of $1.53 mill and 2010 cap hit is $600k

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes