Welcome to PatsFans.com

Scary Case of Identity Theft

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by All_Around_Brown, Jan 5, 2007.

1. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/01/one_moment_dave.html#posts

Hope the new Congress acts quickly. This has been happening way too frequently under Republicant rule, and they didn't seem to care.

Choicepoint?? Was there any an investigation into them? How did private citizen data become something that is bought and sold?

Did the "do nothing" Congress ever do anything about it?
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 4 / -2

How is this the republicans fault?
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +331 / 1 / -9

If it's anyhting bad it has to be a republicans fault or Bush's.
    :bricks:
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

See, this is what I don't understand. People blame Republicans for everything under the sun, ostensibly under the reason that the GOP controlled the executive and legislative branches, but then, if someone like Bush tries to enact some security measures, like Homeland Security or tougher border control, the Repubs are labeled as "Nazis" or the like. :wha: Too much inconsistency.

If some Democrats had introduced legislation to help this situation and it had been blocked by the Repub majority, then, yes, you would have a case. But I have never heard of Dems introducing any better solutions; have you?

There is *way* too much partisanship going on right now, and we need to go beyond it if we are to progress as a nation.

//
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Here's the point I was trying to make. We've gone full bore into total information awareness (TIA), without the proper safeguards in place to prevent this type of thing. It has been a series of laws all under anti-terrorism hype that have seriously jeopardized a number of securities and privacies that we have taken for granted in the past.

So, while I'm laying the blame at the feet of the GOP for not providing any oversight while Bush runs roughshod over the constitution, I will particularly blame them for lack of safeguards or concern for privacy while they draft legislation that makes it easier for hackers to steal your identity.

Seriously, if they can't protect individual rights of privacy (which they obviously can't), there goes one big chunk of the "conservative-Republican" platform.