PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scar: Thuney to play on the inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't do them any good to "take a tackle" if they don't believe any of them are significantly better than what's already on the roster at #3 and #4. The only way to evaluate this is to see how the tackles do that they didn't take over the next three years.

Agreed about the OT position possibly not being to the Pats liking. With Thuney, it looks like the Pats have a guy who can be an interior OL quality starter, and his ability to play any OL position makes him incredibly valuable.

We could have used his versatility with the injuries that plagued the OL to the point that, I believe, they had only 6 OL active twice.

The backup center competition could be more interesting than I had expected. They surely aren't just handing the two center jobs to Stork and Andrews, which means competition is going to have to come from guys like Mason, Cooper, and Thuney that are more often included in the guard discussion.

Stork was not the same player he was his Rookie year probably due to the concussions. That said if Andrews shows anym0re improvements over last year he could be our Starting Center. Stork maybe penciled in right now but anything in pencil is not definite.

Wow. Who does this stuff?!

So if I'm reading one of those bottom charts correctly, it looks like a Round Four pick is about 50/50 to make it through a full year, and after that there's about a 50/50 shot of having a full career (8 years or more).
Yea thats how I saw the %s.

People who have way too much time on their hands.

wouldn't it be nice if we had this level of competition at the tackle position as well??

Absolutely NOT. At the guard and center positions, we have ONE player who we know is good enough to be a 2016 starter, Stork, and that is only if he is healthy. The reality is that trust Scar to find starters among all the bodies.

At OT, we know that we have 2 starters.

With Solder/Vollmer at OT and one of Stork/Andrews at center, that leaves the 2 guard spots. If they can't find some reasonable play from the laundry list of: Kline, Jackson, Mason, Thuney, Cooper and (possibly) Stork, shame on them.

I definitely share your concern, but I also think that the loss of Solder was the main reason for their failure last year. The more I think about it, I'm not even that concerned with the interior positions anymore. I'd have much rather seen the addition of a blue chip OT, especially in a year when they took a lot of shots and didn't have many needs. I can understand not choosing a RB, but the decision to pass on an OT in the earlier rounds pisses me off a bit.

With Solder/Vollmer at OT and one of Stork/Andrews at center, that leaves the 2 guard spots. If they can't find some reasonable play from the laundry list of: Kline, Jackson, Mason, Thuney, Cooper and (possibly) Stork, shame on them.

I definitely share your concern, but I also think that the loss of Solder was the main reason for their failure last year. The more I think about it, I'm not even that concerned with the interior positions anymore. I'd have much rather seen the addition of a blue chip OT, especially in a year when they took a lot of shots and didn't have many needs. I can understand not choosing a RB, but the decision to pass on an OT in the earlier rounds pisses me off a bit.

Personally, I feel much better about the OL with Thuney aboard, better than with a 3rd round tackle who we would hope would be a significant factor in 2017 or 2018. Thuney may be 2016 starting material.

TACKLE
Poster saw blue chip OT's in the 3rd round. Perhaps, Scar and Belichick didn't.

GUARD
As you said, Scar NOW seemingly has lots to work with. He should be able to find two guards, and a backup center if one of Stork or Andrews doesn't make it. Belichick has doubled down on the guard position: adding two last year and two this year (Thuney and Cooper).

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Stork is done due to concussions. They may already know this, or they may still be doing medical assessments that leads to this. We are counting on him being in the interior OL picture, but the picture changes significantly if/when Andrews becomes the #1 options and Wendell the #2.

B__GilxWgAIOZXX.jpg

That's a photo of Scar working out Shaq at center at GT's pro day. As others have pointed out, there was a lot of chatter about Shaq being drafted to play center because of his arm length and overall body type. If Stork's history of concussions catches up to him, I do wonder if Shaq gets some reps snapping the ball.

One last thing about Shaq: he came to the Pats as healthy as possible. He was never injured in college that I recall and I know he never missed a start. I can't, as a longtime GT season ticket holder, ever even remember him coming out of game unless it was a blowout. I know he missed 2 games this past year with a knee sprain; it's a violent game and anybody can get hurt at anytime. But with no history of concussions or severe knee injuries - as opposed to Stork or Jackson - he's a pretty good bet to stay healthy.

B__GilxWgAIOZXX.jpg

That's a photo of Scar working out Shaq at center at GT's pro day. As others have pointed out, there was a lot of chatter about Shaq being drafted to play center because of his arm length and overall body type. If Stork's history of concussions catches up to him, I do wonder if Shaq gets some reps snapping the ball.

One last thing about Shaq: he came to the Pats as healthy as possible. He was never injured in college that I recall and I know he never missed a start. I can't, as a longtime GT season ticket holder, ever even remember him coming out of game unless it was a blowout. I know he missed 2 games this past year with a knee sprain; it's a violent game and anybody can get hurt at anytime. But with no history of concussions or severe knee injuries - as opposed to Stork or Jackson - he's a pretty good bet to stay healthy.

Whether Stork is healthy or not, I expect Mason, Thunry and perhaps others to get reps at center.

Whether Stork is healthy or not, I expect Mason, Thunry and perhaps others to get reps at center.

Kind of makes me wonder if Andrews will be one of the guys destined for attrition unless he develops more versatility.

Kind of makes me wonder if Andrews will be one of the guys destined for attrition unless he develops more versatility.

If Stork is 100%, I don't expect Andrews to make the 53. There should be at least 2 others who can play center if Stork goes down. Of course, if there aren't two players who look good at center, then Andrews stays.

If thuney is needed on the inside then that's pretty damning of the flotsam they currently have. Yes 2 were rookies so what? Thuney will be a rookie, why bother drafting yet another one if those 2 are good but just need time.

If Solder of Vollmer go down we are in big trouble. That's why coleman or leraven clark would have been a much better pick. You want the horrific Cannon or heavy legged wait bender fleming blocking for brady? Waddle, if he can pop his shoulder back in?

Bill simply fecked-up, again, by not drafting LeRaven Clark when he had 2 goddamn chances to do so.

If he loved Thuney so much, then he should've drafted both him & Clark, and waited until 91 for Cyrus
Jones, a spot more befitting his value anyway.

Either Vollmer or Solder WILL miss multiple games next season; and the chances are very good that BOTH will miss multiple games.

And WHEN that happens, NOT if, then we AND ESPECIALLY BRADY are royally SCREWED, again.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the winner of the Worst Backup Offensive Tackles in football is…
…the New England Patriots!"

If thuney is needed on the inside then that's pretty damning of the flotsam they currently have. Yes 2 were rookies so what? Thuney will be a rookie, why bother drafting yet another one if those 2 are good but just need time.

In two years, Belichick is attempting to rebuild the entire guard position. And no, he was not ready to give the keys to Mason AND Jackson.

Clearly, Jackson was injured and showed little.

So, the team made the judgement that we needed lost more help at guard.

As an aside, no one knows how long Stork will last in this league, with his concussion history, and series of injuries.
========
With regard to OT, Scar is OK with our backup for 2016. Both played injured last year. We will like draft a starting OT next year, unless Volmer is ready to go for a couple of more years.
=======
TO BE VERY CLEAR
We do NOT have a crisis at OT when we have two very good starters, and two backups who have considerable experience as starters, especially if the backups have the confidence of one of the best OL coaches in the history of the game.

Is Thuney really 287lbs like he's listed? I don't know how he's going to block anybody at that weight.

Is Thuney really 287lbs like he's listed? I don't know how he's going to block anybody at that weight.
304 at pro day and combine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back