PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SBB's 7/31 PM practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Chad may not have looked quite as good but he was also more of a burner and he could fly. He may not have been as agile or soft handed but Chads speed did stand out at least to me and I guess I should have waited to see him more before getting excited. And keep in mind I am talking Chads first TC.

I am not going to sit here and defend Chad as looking like the next coming because I cant say that I ever thought that but I think it would be revisionist to not say you were a little excited about chad that first season and training camp then nothing ever happened. I would like to think that Tate has shown more than enough to not be on this road but its also just 6 practices.
Well, I think thats the point. We were all excited about Jacksons potential. Thats what you are describing. It never made it to the field, but when I read these reports, it sounds like Jacksons potential reaching the field, as Tate.

I guess Chad may not have looked quite as good but he was also more of a burner and he could fly. He may not have been as agile or soft handed but Chads speed did stand out at least to me and I guess I should have waited to see him more before getting excited. And keep in mind I am talking Chads first TC.

I am not going to sit here and defend Chad as looking like the next coming because I cant say that I ever thought that but I think it would be revisionist to not say you were a little excited about chad that first season and training camp then nothing ever happened. I would like to think that Tate has shown more than enough to not be on this road but its also just 6 practices.

Again, my enthusiasm about Chad was sky high at the draft. Loved the pick. Obviously nobody would pay me to draft anyone. But from the FIRST time I saw him as a Patriot, season one in camp, he showed that he was a stiff. Shocking.

I am talking TC with Chad too when I got an up close look but I cant remember if anything other than his speed impressed.

At least with tate I can say that he really seems to create seperation with some shifty moves and his ability to get open is what is exciting me.

You're right about separation with Tate. He ran patterns with multiple breaks got WAY open and several of the catches woulda been easy TDs. VERY impressive.

The only guy who ever looked as good was The Twig in his rookie camp. You could see that HE was special, but The Twig was special because of Welker like quick cuts. Tate is a deep threat. Fast and fluid. VERY special.

Last edited:
OK, I'm getting a Tate chubby.

Most reports are saying that Tate has looked like the best player on the field other then #81. So it is going to be headaches for defenses all year, especially once Welker is back. I don't know how you are going to stop all three of them. Randy was right when he said the sky is the limit earlier this offseason.

uh...too much graphic info there, PJ...:blush:

uh...too much graphic info there, PJ...:blush:

Don't worry, I just saw a picture of Rex Ryan and it's gone now.

Tate may be a late bloomer. Because of his knee injury, he missed the Combine workouts, but he has serious speed, supposedly a low 4.3 sec 40. He also set the NCAA kickoff + punt return yardage record, which suggests he's both elusive and decisive as well. But the hands, leaping ability, and crisp route running are a pleasant surprise, because as a receiver he was overshadowed at NC by Hakeem Nicks. Maybe a coaching mistake there, maybe just he's finding himself now. It will certainly be fun to watch him this preseason.

Tate may be a late bloomer. Because of his knee injury, he missed the Combine workouts, but he has serious speed, supposedly a low 4.3 sec 40. He also set the NCAA kickoff + punt return yardage record, which suggests he's both elusive and decisive as well. But the hands, leaping ability, and crisp route running are a pleasant surprise, because as a receiver he was overshadowed at NC by Hakeem Nicks. Maybe a coaching mistake there, maybe just he's finding himself now. It will certainly be fun to watch him this preseason.

Most people claim he was the number one option at NC before blowing out his knee.

Most people claim he was the number one option at NC before blowing out his knee.

Source? I haven't seen that anywhere, although maybe he was coming on. Here are Nicks receiving stats:

Code:
Year G Rec Yds TD Long Avg
2006 11 39 660  4  83 16.9
2007 12 74 958  5  53 12.9
2008 13 68 1222 12 74 18.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakeem_Nicks

...and here are Tate's:

Code:
Year Rec Yds Avg TD Long
2006 5   72  14.4 0 26
2007 25  479 19.2 5 51
2008 16  376 23.5 3 69

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tate_brandon00.html

You can argue they should have gone to Tate more, but Nicks was clearly the preferred target in 2007 and 2006, and of course had a big year in 2008...

Last edited:
Most reports are saying that Tate has looked like the best player on the field other then #81. So it is going to be headaches for defenses all year, especially once Welker is back. I don't know how you are going to stop all three of them. Randy was right when he said the sky is the limit earlier this offseason.

You stop all of them by getting pressure on Brady. Hopefully he will get the time he needs.

Source? I haven't seen that anywhere, although maybe he was coming on. Here are Nicks receiving stats:

Code:
Year G Rec Yds TD Long Avg
2006 11 39 660  4  83 16.9
2007 12 74 958  5  53 12.9
2008 13 68 1222 12 74 18.0

Hakeem Nicks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...and here are Tate's:

Code:
Year Rec Yds Avg TD Long
2006 5   72  14.4 0 26
2007 25  479 19.2 5 51
2008 16  376 23.5 3 69

NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Football

You can argue they should have gone to Tate more, but Nicks was clearly the preferred target in 2007 and 2006, and of course had a big year in 2008...

He only played 5 games his last year . . .

That's what I heard as well, but I don't think I ever watched UNC play while they were both there, so... yeah, don't quote me on that ;)

I always thought the general consensus about Tate vs. Nicks was that while Tate was raw as a receiver, he had the potential to be a better overall player due to his return abilities. Which is pretty amazing considering Nicks had a damn good career at UNC and a solid NFL rookie campaign. I wouldn't say he was the number one option, that was definitely Nicks on offense until their final year together when Tate stole the limelight for a short time pre injury.

Last edited:
I always thought the general consensus about Tate vs. Nicks was that while Tate was raw as a receiver, he had the potential to be a better overall player due to his return abilities. Which is pretty amazing considering Nicks had a damn good career at UNC and a solid NFL rookie campaign. I wouldn't say he was the number one option, that was definitely Nicks on offense until their final year together when Tate stole the limelight for a short time pre injury.

I heard this during the draft too. Tate took longer to develop but in his last year before he got injured, he was playing better than Nicks and had more potential as a pro.

I was there as well. Gronkowski had a couple of bad drops but looked impressive in ST drills blocking. Woods had a nice pass deflection. Edelman was very accomidating to fans. An airhorn signaling the end of autograph session and totaly ignored it and spent 7 minutes or so signing stuff for kids. He's a nice kid, and made some plays too.

As for me, I spent most of my time chasing after my 3 1/2 year old who was way more interested in rolling down the hill sideways. One kid did it and the next thing you know there was about 10 joining in.

There was a Grandma there watching out too and I told her I've had a # of jobs in life, but my favorite is being dad. Great weekend. Stayed at the Marriot for 2 nights and saw all 4 practices (sort of, kids). Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes