PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SB42 loss--not the worst thing that could have happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
EDIT: This isn't meant as a 'downer' or an 'upper'; it's just meant as a statement of opinion/fact. Maybe you agree, maybe you don't. But I figured it was worth saying. (And, FWIW, this will likely be the last time I start a thread specifically about SB42.)

Frankly, I can think of at least three things that would/could be worse:

• Not making the playoffs. I'm sorry, but I'll take 18-1 over 4-12 any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
  • 16-1. No matter how bad 18-1 might be, IMO, it still wouldn't be nearly as bad a collapse as an Indy-style choke job at Gillette. [Remember--the Pats have not lost a home playoff game in over 30 years.]
  • Perversely, and admittedly only possibly, a SB42 win. Notice how the "OMG! CHEATERZ!!!!11!!!!" meme seemed to quiet down--not go away, mind you, but quiet down--after the loss? Think about what probably would have happened if the Pats had won. Granted, this is nothing more than extrapolation on my part based on what I've seen the last few months, but I honestly believe, at this point, that had the Patriots won the SB, the net result would ultimately have been further punishment over Spygate. Yes, I know that it would be difficult if not impossible to justify such punishment. Nevertheless, I still think that the Hateriots (Specter, T*****e, et al.) would have basically made such a stink that Commissioner Clouseau would have felt forced to take further action.

None of this is to say that I'm happy with how last season ended--but I have come to terms with it. I still have the occasional flashback, but I was able to watch the Welker highlight video on NFL.com a few days ago without becoming nauseous. :) / :(

Last edited:
Wow, I'm sure we'll all feel better now. :(

we may not have lost a home playoff game in 30 years, but we lost a whole lotta home games back in the day;). I agree though, there's worst things that couldve happened. as much as it pains me, im not dying from that loss. we'll be back this year, with new, and younger guys, and a more aggresive defense. nfl, watch out.:mad:

It wasn't thw worst thing; 18-1 was actually the second best thing. Unfortunately there's a large distance between the best and second best things to happen in the world of sports.

Traditionally the Super Bowl loser team usually struggles the following year as seen in the past decade and I cannot be 100% sure this years team will be any different,especially the revamped defense is my biggest concern- But I sure hope the team defies the odds of the past decades and has a really good year.

As to answer the question,I think a super bowl loser is the worst possible situation.

Last edited:
why do you think there would be more punishment if the pats had won sb42?

why do you think there would be more punishment if the pats had won sb42?

As I was trying to say above--perhaps not successfully--I think that instead of being satisfied with Schadenfreude out of the Pats' loss, the hateriots would not yet have gotten their pound of flesh, so to speak, and we would be bombarded with so many "cheating" articles--not to mention, in all likelihood, cr*p from Sen. Specter--that the Patriots would be a convenient scapegoat to dump further punishment on, in the eyes of Goodell.

As I was trying to say above--perhaps not successfully--I think that instead of being satisfied with Schadenfreude out of the Pats' loss, the hateriots would not yet have gotten their pound of flesh, so to speak, and we would be bombarded with so many "cheating" articles--not to mention, in all likelihood, cr*p from Sen. Specter--that the Patriots would be a convenient scapegoat to dump further punishment on, in the eyes of Goodell.

People who hate the Pats will still be at this even if we win the Superbowl next year. They'll still call us the Cheatriots and Billicheat and say THEY JUST HAVE A NEW WAY TO CHEAT BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I personally think Spygate is garbage because the "rule" we broke is ridiculous, and the concept that the Pats are the only team who has taped anyone is ludicrous. Face it, haters will hate, because they are jealous. That's it.

People who hate the Pats will still be at this even if we win the Superbowl next year. They'll still call us the Cheatriots and Billicheat and say THEY JUST HAVE A NEW WAY TO CHEAT BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I personally think Spygate is garbage because the "rule" we broke is ridiculous, and the concept that the Pats are the only team who has taped anyone is ludicrous. Face it, haters will hate, because they are jealous. That's it.

I agree, and more mediots are coming around on that. Hell, I even heard SKIP BAYLESS of all people make this point on first and 10 before, and he was almost the biggest hater out there.

EDIT: This isn't meant as a 'downer' or an 'upper'; it's just meant as a statement of opinion/fact. Maybe you agree, maybe you don't. But I figured it was worth saying. (And, FWIW, this will likely be the last time I start a thread specifically about SB42.)

Frankly, I can think of at least three things that would/could be worse:

• Not making the playoffs. I'm sorry, but I'll take 18-1 over 4-12 any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
  • 16-1. No matter how bad 18-1 might be, IMO, it still wouldn't be nearly as bad a collapse as an Indy-style choke job at Gillette. [Remember--the Pats have not lost a home playoff game in over 30 years.]
  • Perversely, and admittedly only possibly, a SB42 win. Notice how the "OMG! CHEATERZ!!!!11!!!!" meme seemed to quiet down--not go away, mind you, but quiet down--after the loss? Think about what probably would have happened if the Pats had won. Granted, this is nothing more than extrapolation on my part based on what I've seen the last few months, but I honestly believe, at this point, that had the Patriots won the SB, the net result would ultimately have been further punishment over Spygate. Yes, I know that it would be difficult if not impossible to justify such punishment. Nevertheless, I still think that the Hateriots (Specter, T*****e, et al.) would have basically made such a stink that Commissioner Clouseau would have felt forced to take further action.

None of this is to say that I'm happy with how last season ended--but I have come to terms with it. I still have the occasional flashback, but I was able to watch the Welker highlight video on NFL.com a few days ago without becoming nauseous. :) / :(

Nope...........:bricks:

on the bright side, their plane did not crash
:D

yeah it could be worse, we could be phins :D

As to answer the question,I think a super bowl loser is the worst possible situation.
:eek: You don't seriously think the Raiders are in a better position than the Patriots, do you? That the Bills, Jets and Dolphins are in a better position. I can't see us finishiing at the bottom of our division, or gettin the first pick in next year's draft or anything like that.

I expect that the Pats are in as good a position as the Colts. I don't see any other team threatening for the AFCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes