PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Say It Ain't So, Grid!

I hope this makes everyone feel better. Assuming that Yeatman can make the switch from Lacrosse player to capable offensive tackle in just 3 years. By the time he comes a starter with a reasonable resume, he will be in the last year of his rookie contract. So Yeatman may very soon be able to come home to Pappa Dante, but as a finished product. Let the Dolphins waist 4 years and a roster spot to develop Yeatman into a player.

That's the beauty of the FA system. Players you add from that area of supply are more expensive than most draft picks, but come without the inherent risks. By that time they will have had 4 years in some NFL program. The benefit of a full time off season program, NFL coaching, and lots and lots of film playing against NFL competition.

Wise shopping in the different levels of the FA market can be just as impactful, if not more so. than the crap shoot that is the NFL draft.

Yes its frustrating to see a kid like Yeatman make progress in someone else's program, but istn't it better to get him back AFTER the Dolphins put in all the work to get him to that level. Its just like Danny Woodhead. The Jets did all the work to develop him from a divisioin 2 player to an NFL quality RB, and we've gotten all the production. Think of Yeatman in that vein and you'll feel better

I find it perplexing why you have so much hostility to a regime that has had unparalleled success. No coaching staff or FO is without mistakes. It's fine to disagree with moves, or criticize them. Hindsight is 20-20. I wish we'd kept Salas, personally. But comments like "nice move, Genius" seem uncalled for. All NFL teams operate under weekly pressures and constraints that we don't know, and the 53 man roster limit and IR rules make it extremely difficult to manage attrition. Most teams have been caught making a mistake over cutting a player due to an immediate need for a roster spot - that's how we got Danny Woodhead and Jake Ballard. It would be unreasonable to assume that the Pats would be immune to those pressures, or wouldn't make miscalculations from time to time. I'm not sure why they've earned your derision. They're still the best in the business by a long shot, for my money.

Risking the losses of Kopa & especially Salas for the sake of keeping bottom-feeders and unknowns like Zusevics, Rivera, Kouto, Martin or HooMan was foolhardy, from the get-go. Our WR depth was already thin, even when we still had Edelman & Salas. Now that depth is non-existent, and that is inexcusable.

Risking the losses of Kopa & especially Salas for the sake of keeping bottom-feeders and unknowns like Zusevics, Rivera, Kouto, Martin or HooMan was foolhardy, from the get-go. Our WR depth was already thin, even when we still had Edelman & Salas. Now that depth is non-existent, and that is inexcusable.

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”

- Brendan Behan, "Borstal Boy"

Kopa and Salas are bottom feeders and unknowns, themselves.

To question authority is fine. To mock it, when it has a proven record of success and there is no evidence to support you, suggests that you are just bitter. Of what, I'm not sure.

I find it perplexing why you have so much hostility to a regime that has had unparalleled success. No coaching staff or FO is without mistakes. It's fine to disagree with moves, or criticize them. Hindsight is 20-20. I wish we'd kept Salas, personally. But comments like "nice move, Genius" seem uncalled for. All NFL teams operate under weekly pressures and constraints that we don't know, and the 53 man roster limit and IR rules make it extremely difficult to manage attrition. Most teams have been caught making a mistake over cutting a player due to an immediate need for a roster spot - that's how we got Danny Woodhead and Jake Ballard. It would be unreasonable to assume that the Pats would be immune to those pressures, or wouldn't make miscalculations from time to time. I'm not sure why they've earned your derision. They're still the best in the business by a long shot, for my money.

Poetry.

No offense to you, Brother Stone, but...Poetry.

And if he knows that much about Zusevics' ass, he should definitely know more information that's more relevant to the game of football, perhaps how strong his arms and legs are.

Question for OTG: how do you rate ass strength as a component of overall "core strength"? Is it possible to have a strong core yet a weak ass? This could be very important in draft prospect evaluation, and the Captain appears to have the edge on "ass"essing this "ass"pect of player development.

Hah!! Perfect ~ I was actually gonna take issue with Brother Sciz's assertion, there!! :singing:

I consider the old Glutimous Maximus to be an absolutely essential Component of Core Strength...So I would say "No!!" It is not possible to have substantial Core Strength while yet suffering the limitations of a weak @$$!! :eek:

As such: If Brother Stone's Scouting Report on young Zusevics is correct...the kid is screwed!! :D

Hah!! Perfect ~ I was actually gonna take issue with Brother Sciz's assertion, there!! :singing:

I consider the old Glutimous Maximus to be an absolutely essential Component of Core Strength...So I would say "No!!" It is not possible to have substantial Core Strength while yet suffering the limitations of a weak @$$!! :eek:

I assume you mean "gluteus maximus"? ;)

As such: If Brother Stone's Scouting Report on young Zusevics is correct...the kid is screwed!! :D

Now I may need brain bleach. :nooo:

Salas was baffling. Spent a 4th on a guy and then cut him while keeping flotsam like Kouto and Martin on the roster...I just don't get it. Hooman at least plays a bit. Was someone going to steal Rivera? Would we have noticed?

Maybe we should trade a 2014 4th for Salas, i bet the eagles would take it.

Salas was baffling. Spent a 4th on a guy and then cut him while keeping flotsam like Kouto and Martin on the roster...I just don't get it. Hooman at least plays a bit. Was someone going to steal Rivera? Would we have noticed?

Maybe we should trade a 2014 4th for Salas, i bet the eagles would take it.
Salas was a 4th round pick for the Rams, but the Pats only gave up a 2015 7th round pick for him, which is basically nothing.

Salas was a 4th round pick for the Rams, but the Pats only gave up a 2015 7th round pick for him, which is basically nothing.

Well it's nothing if you trade it away for someone you never use and ultimately waive twice. But it's not nothing if you pick up a special teamer, a development project or, dare I say it, a starting CB.

Well it's nothing if you trade it away for someone you never use and ultimately waive twice. But it's not nothing if you pick up a special teamer, a development project or, dare I say it, a starting CB.
Well yeah, and UDFAs can turn into great players too. How much closer to zero value can a pick get?

If he lacks adequate musculature around his sphincter, maybe we could go the opposite route from Will Yeatman and convert Zusevics to a "tight end"?

Well yeah, and UDFAs can turn into great players too. How much closer to zero value can a pick get?

But they're not picks are they? They're not a tangible asset you have until such time as they are signed. A draft pick is. I agree a 2015 7th rounder is towards the low end of team development assets it's possible too have but I want to argue this notion that it's such a small asset that it's OK to dismiss the fact that it's been wasted. In the UK we have a saying: "Save the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves". I kind of feel that way about 2015 7th rounders and would rather not waste them on WR's that get waived twice within the space of a couple of months.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back