Welcome to PatsFans.com

Saudis and Yemenis harboring terrorists! Let's GO!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Saudi AQ members have crossed into Yemen to set up shop and pull off new jobs against pro-western targets. Two of these POS were released from Gitmo and somehow the Saudis failed to keep an eye on them. Now, why would our "friends" fail to keep us (and themselves!) safe from terrorists?

Al Jazeera English - Middle East - Yemen and Saudi al-Qaeda arms merge

CNN just confirmed this AM that the two groups have merged and are now regrouping.

2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,932 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

As I've said for decades - - the worst thing you can do to them is to develop alternative energy.

Stupid Texas oilmen, and the simpletons who believed them, could have cut off Al Qaeda's balls by now without the waste of trillions of dollars and thousands of brave young American soldiers' lives.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

What alternative energy are you speaking of exactly? Obviously this would have to be something significant, that could fly planes, propel ships, and be a lifeblood for vehicles across the globe. Now, I agree with you Shmess, I just think I'm a little more of a realist on this than you are. Screaming "alternative energy" is great and all, but it's not as if we've got anything ready & waiting, right around the corner.

I support the decision to close Gitmo, even though I think it does serve a purpose. I just think closing it, at this time, with a new president and administration taking the oath, is an opportunity to move forward from a "necessary evil" if you will. In a perfect world I'd keep Gitmo, and instead provide some sort of due process for the people being incarcerated there, but this isn't a perfect world. I think the prisoners there do deserve some form of judicial process where which they are afforded the ability to defend themselves once and for all. You simply can't take prisoners from a battlefield, or a foreign land, and hold them indefinately, regardless of how eeeeeeeeeeeeevil we might know them to be. That being said, where I part ways with some on Gitmo, is when the notion that these are relatively innocent people being held captive. I think early on that may have been the case, but I'm of the opinion (key word here, opinion) that the remaining prisoners are bad dudes. A bunch of the released are returning to the battlefield. Some will argue, and plausibley, that their involvement post release could be a result of their pent up anger at being incarcerated for years, unjustly. That's possible certainly. Whatever the reason, I'd prefer we let people go, only to fight them again, if the alternative is to hold someone without having to prove why. I, like you, are probably trying to figure out how I got into a post about Gitmo in here. Well, I figured it out. It was the Yemen bit. One of the released Gitmo dudes just resurfaced there. I knew there was a reason why! :D

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Gitmo is a very significant piece.
    We release these guys to their respective governments, like KofSA, and they don't do anything. They don't even keep track of them. It's not as if there are privacy issues in KofSA. They keep better track of whether a woman is walking 10 steps behind their husband than they do the activities of their terrorists. It's as if they have some agreement about mutual avoidance.