Saturday 7/29 Globe TC coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of Patriots coverage in the Globe this morning, so I thought it might be useful to consolidate all of the rants into one thread. :)

My thoughts:

- Interesting how a different side of Borges comes out when he's talking about brutal violence! He gets all misty over Belichick's reminiscences of bone-crunching training camps of yore.
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...006/07/29/todays_players_dont_know_the_drill/

- Solomon's routine piece on the kickers is spiced up by a mention of AV's depature to the Baltimore Colts.
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...07/29/for_kickers_time_to_replace_the_clutch/

patchick said:
Lots of Patriots coverage in the Globe this morning, so I thought it might be useful to consolidate all of the rants into one thread. :)

My thoughts:

- Interesting how a different side of Borges comes out when he's talking about brutal violence! He gets all misty over Belichick's reminiscences of bone-crunching training camps of yore.

He pines for the days of his youth in Oakland. Apparently he hasn't been to a Raiders practice in 20 years either. Five little words summarize why the Oklahoma Drill became a fond memory - expansion, salary cap, bonus money. Can't risk 'em if you can't easily replace 'em.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...006/07/29/todays_players_dont_know_the_drill/

- Solomon's routine piece on the kickers is spiced up by a mention of AV's depature to the Baltimore Colts.

Belichick's quote from this piece, which was the result of a kicking question but could apply to any position, should be stickied at the top of this forum for the next month or so to ratchet down the hysteria that camp reps routinely trigger:

``I think that in evaluating a team in training camp, you don't make evaluations based on one play or one practice or even one day where there are a lot of snaps," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. ``We're going to have thousands of snaps in this training camp and it will be an accumulation of consistency and performance [that decides roster spots].

``At some point in time -- a week, two weeks, three weeks into training camp or whatever those different demarcation points are -- that's when you start looking at the evaluations because you have enough plays, really, to work with and enough situations and enough different matchups to get a truer measure of where you think everybody is. I think after one play, one kick, one practice, it's way too early to say, `This guy is ahead of that guy,' or, `That guy is behind somebody else.' "

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...07/29/for_kickers_time_to_replace_the_clutch/

At least with camp comes daily football coverage to get us keyboard warriors through the dog days of August. :D

MoLewisrocks said:
At least with camp comes daily football coverage to get us keyboard warriors through the dog days of August. :D
I thought it would never get here!

The Oklahoma drill ... until yesterday's BB pressconf i never heard that phrase.
But it immediately evoked negative nostalgia.

Preseason camp freshman year in college, linemen spent a lot of time hurtling at each other in this narrow corridor (lined with whooping, bloodthirsty teammates). One had a football and was supposed to barrel through. The other was to make the tackle. That's where i blew out the knee that ended my undistinguished career.

So that's the Oklahoma drill, eh? Be surprised if the Pats like it anymore than i did.

I thought that was a pretty decent article by "what's his face". There were no rediculous jabs at Belichick, so I had to wonder if "what's his face" actually wrote it! But lo and behold after seeing the references to the Raiders, I knew he must have wrote it.

That makes 3 decent articles by "what's his face" in 6 years! He must be going for a record!

This is what I got out of it and Borasses reason for writing it.

The point that he was trying to make is that TC is softer than it used to be. He used his favorite team , the Raiders, of 1975 as an example.

What he left out of his article is that players today are in training year round. In 1975 they didn't have team sponsored off season programs. Players had from mid January off, to get away from the game and from workouts. Players worked out on their own and at their own pace.

Now they don't have to spend two weeks to get players in shape (Sullivan as an exception) . This was an omission in his article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back