Welcome to PatsFans.com

Satellite vs. Comcast cable?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Tunescribe, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -20

#61 Jersey

I'm moving soon and will have the option of getting satellite or staying with Comcast. Any recommendations? Also, do any of the satellite companies offer package deals (with someone like Verizon) that include phone and Internet? Just wondering if anyone here has an arrangement like that.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +530 / 6 / -2

Yes they do offer packages. Direct TV does at least. Thing is, you should price it all in every possible fashion, cuz for me it ended up being cheaper to pay separately, as I took advantage of some other promo offers on the individual services.

I've had them all at some point. Dish Network, DTV, Comcast, and now FIOS from Verizon. They all have good points and bad. Comcast I hate the most. Nickel and dime you to death on everything. I smoked a cigar when I last got rid of them. FIOS is terrific, but they get pricey once their package term wears off (i got 2 years locked from FIOS). Mine is up this summer, so I'll be curious to see what they'll be like to deal with. Dish was great, as was DTV. I really enjoyed DTV. Terrific bang for the buck, and a great picture really. Satellite feeds did get choppy during thunder/lighting storms, or in heavy snow. I'd have to reset the reciever to straighten it out, which can take anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes sometimes. So keep that in mind. To me, it was annoying when it happened, but for what I was getting in terms of bang for buck, was worth it. DTV gave me all kinds of free boxes. FIOS and Comcast don't. Ultimately the box fees are virtually at a criminal level with these providers.

3. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I read what RW wrote, and aside from VIOS, which I have no experience with, my reaction is exactly contrary to his. I LOVED comcast. But the last time I had it, they still carried the NFLN, so that dates this. I have had Time Warner (sucked) and Now have DTV. DTV is charging me big time for all my boxes, nailing me for HD charges and DVR charges ON TOP of the box rental charges. When I had comast that was all free. On top of that they refuse to allow me to have Boston as my locals even though I live in Mass. They stuck me with Albany, the Jests and the Giants...fuggers. Time Warner is available in the next town south, less than a mile from my house, and they added 4 and 5 out of Boston to the Albany locals at no charge to the public. Not DTV.They wont add them at any charge. So not only do I not get sports, but news either out of Boston and that is just criminal. I HATE them and cant wait to get rid of them this summer.

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Comcast charges for DVR. I pay extra for a digital HD box and about $15 more for the DVR. I pay about $140/month (with broadband internet) and have no premium channels. I'm thinking about getting rid of all of it after the Pats season is over.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  5. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

They have an interesting promo that we just signed up for Friday night (because I found out the Ricky Gervais Show was back on again), and you may want to call on this. We wanted to add HBO after having dumped all our pay channels months ago, and I called up to find out if there were any promos. They gave us HBO & all the channels for $20 per month, and made our DVR ($14.95) free. Needless to say they'll now cost us an additional $5 per month - and I can live with that :cool:

Needless to say call up and ask for it - because obviously that's a good deal.

6. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

How long is that for? I am hoping they will offer me a better deal to keep me but, they may not and I want to be prepared to tell them to just disconnect it all. That's why I'm waiting for the season to be over before I try.

Is a new season of Extras on? I have the first two seasons on DVD.

7. Ian

Ratings:
    +255 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I think it's for 6-months, but definitely ask them and see if you can get it.

As for Extras, no - it's "The Ricky Gervais Show". It's actually pretty funny.

Watch an Interview with Ricky Gervais from Season 2 of The Ricky Gervais Show

8. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Oh yeah the animated show. Carl is unintentionally hilarious. I've heard many of his take on things on Ricky's podcasts. I recall one when he (Carl) was talking about coming to Boston for the filming of Ricky's movie The Invention of Lying. Which was filmed in Lowell. He said he wasn't impressed. He thought Boston was boring.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  9. Ian

Ratings:
    +255 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

My wife and I absolutely love that show - and you're right, he is absolutely hilarious. It's funny because he isn't even trying, and he insists he's right about everything and it's just so ridiculous. The first episode of this season is about a film that he pitches to some studio guys - you definitely need to watch it if you end up getting it :cool:

10. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well I guess I can call Comcast now. :rolleyes:

11. Ian

Ratings:
    +255 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Were you able to get a deal with them?

12. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

When I switched from Verizon to Comcast I forgot to update my online banking info and to compound it I had changed my phone number so they couldn't text me a safe pass code. I need to make sure I have updated all my info and have all my ducks in a row before I close the account. They probably will offer me a better deal I just need to decide if it's worth it. I'll probably give them a call later this week.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011