Welcome to PatsFans.com

Satanic Temple unveils 7-foot goat-headed Baphomet statue for Oklahoma Capitol

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jan 6, 2014.

1. fpraven88

fpraven88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +105 / 3 / -2

If I believed that these Oklahoma statues had the potential effect that you do and they were being placed at all in my country, I'd be headed straight for them to knock them down.

I just don't understand the mentality of believing something so awful and not doing anything about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Boogs

Boogs Rookie

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -4

Whether you go through with it or not can also depend on lots of factors. Will you get caught? What will the punishment be if you do get caught? Things like that.
    My guess is that there would be some cops who would look the other way. Good chance in Oklahoma that you'll get the public behind you, and the judge gives you a light sentence like no time behind bars and community service.
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 3 / -13

Hey, at least we can all agree that Satan sucks!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

What was their stance on Catholocism?
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -4

I think it depended on the state. I think Maryland was very Catholic.
  6. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Yes, it was founded by Jesuits. But by and large Colonial America was anti-Catholic. This was not a good thing, just something to keep in mind when we are citing the state of affairs upon the nation's founding vis-a-vis preference for "Christianity".
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. fpraven88

fpraven88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +105 / 3 / -2

If what was at stake that which you say is at stake, none of that would matter to me.

If I believed that abortion was truly murder, then you bet your ass I'd be out there preventing it.

It boggles my mind that people believe these common practices in our society to be something so awful, yet they don't get off their ass to do anything about them.

Methinks many people that pontificate on things being oh so awful don't actually believe them to be as awful as the say they believe them to be.
  8. Boogs

Boogs Rookie

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -4

I think a lot of people do what they can do to prevent things that they believe are wrong. The abortion issue is constantly fought. And if the Satanic monument gets put up in Oklahoma, there will be people who will tear it down. If it even gets to that point.
  9. fpraven88

fpraven88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +105 / 3 / -2

"what they can do"????

There's plenty more that you could in theory do to stop this and other "horrors".

If I thought that the abortion clinic was truly committing murder...

I mean, if I walked outside and saw some guy on the street picking from a truck full of live babies and was smashing their heads in the ground, I'd immediately stop it right then and there, no matter what means were necessary. I wouldn't try to vote to make him stop, it would stop right then and there.

Seems to me that if you believe abortion is truly murder, that one should be doing something similar.
  10. Boogs

Boogs Rookie

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -4

Good point. I see where you're coming from now. It's complicated and I don't have all the answers.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 7 / -13

Depended on the state.
  12. Boogs

Boogs Rookie

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -4

13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +460 / 7 / -9

I see. So if one believes strongly enough that a religion is wrong, that's the test. All very objective.

[​IMG]

See, I don't think this is okay. And if it's not, neither is vandalizing ol' Baphumet -- even though I am a Jew, not a Satanist or a Templar (the guys who it's rumored actually worshipped him.)
  14. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +195 / 8 / -24

15. Oinko

Oinko Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

But this kind of thinking leads to clinic bombing. I think all of us have to find a balance between expressing our civic position, seeking to bring about change, and on the other hand remaining peaceful. The Supreme Court has enshrined abortion in the Constitution, taking it out of the hands of the people through political process, and so it makes it hard for people to decide how to peacefully express their position.

But your post illustrates the "cognitive dissonance" that abortion causes in many. I literally feel revulsion, physical horror an pain when confronted with the reality of abortion. I have to constantly turn off that switch to live my life.

And I don't think it will ever go away in a large chunk of the population. I think it must be how the Abolitionists felt -- they knew that slavery was so wrong that it probably justified physical force to stop it, but they had to reconcile that with the value of peacefully coexisting with people who (1) thought it was right; or (2) didn't think it was right, but thought it should be up people to decide for themselves.
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +460 / 7 / -9

Oinko, the clinic bombers are the ones who actually believe their "abortion is millions of dead babies" argument. It's the other ones who are hypocrites, given their inflated rhetoric. The proof is in the pudding: At that level of mass murder, you expect revolutionary violence. The thing is, it's not true, and they know it. It's a rhetorical ploy.
    • Like Like x 1