Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sarkozy’s ‘Southern strategy’: French president says ‘too many foreigners’ in France

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Mar 7, 2012.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

Sarkozy

Imagine if a presidential candidate said these words.....
    They would call them the XENOPHOBIC DEVIL !

Attached Files:

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +380 / 3 / -15

Re: Sarkozy’s ‘Southern strategy’: French president says ‘too many foreigners’ in Fra

Any country can at some point "have too many foreigners"...even the good 'ol USA! Of course, one must count illegals as foreigners!;)
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Re: Sarkozy’s ‘Southern strategy’: French president says ‘too many foreigners’ in Fra

One must also count legal immigrants as foreigners as well.

The word "foreigner" does not draw a distinction, you know. Anyone not native to a specific place is foreign to it.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

When i get time I'll dig up an article I read that listed the data regarding the amount of foreign born people in this country today, versus 10, 20, 30+ years ago. The figures were astounding. One thing people need to understand, is that foreignors, no matter how you slice it, are not tried and true, born and raised in members of "that" country. With that, the more non-born and bred you have, the more diluted the core fundamentals of "that" country become. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but I do feel that having too many foriegn born residents in your country, can seriously alter the core fiber of a nation. It's one of the many reasons why immigration should always be controlled, documented, monitored, and regulated. If not, a country can quickly lose it's identity.
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

That's true. Just think of what this country was like pre-1600 or so.
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

If you have a good source, it would be interesting to see that going back much further.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

I would if we were a country pre-1600 or so.
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

The article was a couple of years old, so finding with a quick google has turned up everything but the one I want. I might have posted it here before, so maybe I can find it that way. One article that I just saw that is interesting, is this one. It's from 6 years ago, but the numbers and points made are very interesting.

[​IMG]

A Flood of Immigration Like Any Other? - HUMAN EVENTS

I've never come across this article before, but in skimming through it, some of the data, and points made, are quite fascinating. It truly points to some of the real issues that people ignore when it comes to immigration. I'm a first generation american who was born in 74. My parents and extended family came here in the late 50's to early 70's, which would explain why they (and thus I) assimilated into the culture as we did. We were surrounded by fewer foreign born than those who are here now. This has nothing to do with where people come from, or what color they are btw. To me, it's a matter of having an organized and controlled system where we monitor the flow in a manner that best serves the interests of the country, and it's citizens. Clearly we've flooded the country with far too many foreignors at once. Many of whom aren't supposed to even be here.

What I noticed about the graph as well, and just in passing, is how the numbers spike right around/after 1987. Anyone know what was passing in 1987? Amnesty.
  9. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Interesting, RW -- thanks. I'll have to read the article later.

What I see are a couple things. First, while there are a couple spikes in recent decades, aren't they around 1980 and then around 2000? I'm not sure where you got '87 from. Would need to see the exact data they used and then probably look at it year-to-year to start drawing any conclusions re causation, I think.

Second, what really seems to be the outlier is the period from 1950 to 1970. No idea what that would mean, though.

Interesting stuff, though. glad you posted it.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I'm sure those native to the area thought they were.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

With the graph only listing decades its hard to pin any spike to an exact year. My reference to 1987 was due to the "one time" Amnesty that was passed during Reagans second term that was supposed to put a spot to the illegal invasion in return for rubber stamping every foreignor that was here. I think the run up to 1987 would be a part of the spike since an Amnesty wouldn't have been needed, had we not had some type of problem. My guess would be that the booming economy of the 80's created a magnet for cheap/illegal labor. Good times mean opportunity, and booms tend to mean lax rules, which logically speaking, would more than likely result in a higher influx of foreign nationals into our borders. On the surface that's what I conclude at least. My ultimate concern with immigration is not with immigration itself. I'm the direct result of it afterall, and I've seen first hand what it means to people, and what it can do for the country. My concern is with the process, or lack there of. It has to be legal, organized, documented, regulated, monitored, and controlled. Like more or less most things usually are. For example, at this point in time, with unemployment very high, deficits rampant, and a downturn existing, the flow of immigrants into the country should either be curbed, or outright put to a halt (I personally might not do that but just saying). America, and Americans first imo.

What country was that again?
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I believe we have been known as "America" since the late 1400s. Unless you disagree that we are Americans living in America - or that very few of us, or our ancestors, were native born.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

I have no idea what your point is to be honest. The only country that I know of, is the United States of America, and it's been around for over 200 years now.
  14. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Her point was (I think) that America has been referred as America since 1507. Named for Amerigo Vespucci. It was referred to as America long before it was the United States of America

Source = The LOC.GOV Wise Guide : How Did America Get Its Name?
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

You don't say! :D I know the historical story surrounding the origins of the name "america". Afterall, the dude was a paesan. I just have no idea what that has to do with the specific discussion taking place inside this thread.