Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sarah Silverman: 'The Entire Fox News Channel is a 24-Hour a Day Racism Engine'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, Jun 2, 2010.

1. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Who are my leftist friends?

What values can't be taught anymore, and who is preventing that? Can you provide any specifics here?

"Heather has 2 mommies" -- That has led to an increase in the illegitmacy rate among blacks? How so, exactly?

My point re. Jim Crow wasn't a strawman, and I didn't claim that you support returning to it. Reading comprehension -- I know you like imagining things that don't exist, but it simply isn't productive.

My point us that many "conservatives" seem to pine for a time when all was good in the world, while ignoring the many things that were worse then. Jim Crow is one such example.

(That doesn't mean we should ignore things that have gotten worse, or fail to try to improve them. But let's not pretend that the nation has gone to sh*t just because some things are worse.)

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -12

Yes, but that's a fairly recent phenomenon, I think.Things have certainly improved, and the biases have lessened, but to some degree they're still there.

3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chico, you have to join us in the real world here. If you refuse to acknowledge the connection between an increase in the promotion of open sexuality at increasingly younger and younger ages and increased illegitimacy, then you just don't understand biology. They recently discovered a link between having sex and getting pregnant.
    Actually, yes it was a strawman. It's the same old argument liberals come back with whenever someone like myself says that gee, ya know there are certain things about the 50's and 60's that were much better than what we have today. I never said everything was better back then.

I say "gee, maybe we shouldn't be teaching children to be more and more sexual at younger and younger ages because look at how much illegitimacy rates have increased in the past 40 years" and you respond "Jim Crow! Jim Crow!" That, my friend, is textbook strawman.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

you didn't say certain things were better then. If you had, I would have had no issue with it. Instead, you made some sweeping commentabout societal mores. If I'm wrong in my assessment of what you said, go ahead and quote what you said earlier.

As for sexuality, I notice that your response not only didn't answer my questions or post, it was also completely devoid of specifics.

Who's being prevented from teaching values? How does the acceptance of homosexuality cause an increase in the rates of births out of marriage?

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

6. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, if Heather does in fact have 2 mommies, shouldn't children understand why? And maybe if more kids knew how to put on a condom there would be less teen pregnancy?
    Our problems with society aren't with what we're teaching out kids at school, it's what they aren't being taught at home. Parents instead of engaging their children, just sit them infront of the TV or internet and let their brains rot.
    "OH look mommy, Britney Spears is super popular and a whore, so my child logic teaches me that I should be a whore too so people will like me!"
    I see statistics about 3rd graders with cell phones and it makes me want to join the damn Taliban.

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

BINGO! WE GOT BINGO!...[​IMG]

Not to mention other posters' assertions that this is a "liberal" thing. It is strictly a socio-economic/ class issue that is being fed by the media. The media is controlled by multi-national conglomerates. Those same corporations also control other companies via corporate consolidation where you get Viacom also owning (film companies) Paramount Pictures, Republic Pictures, MTV Films, Nickelodeon Movies, Go Fish Pictures, (TV) Comedy Central, Logo, BET, Spike, TV Land, Nick@Nite, Nickelodeon, TeenNick, Nick Jr., MTV, VH1, MTV2, Tr3s, CMT, Palladia, (video gaming) Xfire, Harmonix, GameTrailers, Neopets, and MTV New Media.

And that's just one corporate consolidation. There's also giants like National Amusements, Disney, Sony, GE...

Hardly the picture of "liberalism" here. To put the lion's share of blame on schools for the constant barrage of negative messages about sexual behavior is ignorant, lazy and very dangerous because it ignores the more prevalent threats.

8. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +793 / 6 / -9

I'm pretty sure there's a much stronger case to be made that popular culture is responsible for the erosion of "traditional" values, much moreso than teaching kids how to use contraceptives or acknowledging that yes, gay people do exist.