PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sapp: Tom Brady is scared in the pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fairly often compared to other starting QBs

I'm not suggesting he runs around frightened all game. I just think he senses more pressure than there usually is. This isn't to say I want him replaced or I think he's bad.

It's possible to criticize a Patriots player/coach yet still think they're really good. Believe it or not.

Very true, but you said he ducks often with no pressure and that is an exaggeration.

Very true, but you said he ducks often with no pressure and that is an exaggeration.

I simply meant relative to other QBs

It's often enough that people are talking about it, and it isn't uncommon for him.

he ducks often, and without pressure

???? I've seen him duck 3 times in the past few years with no pressure. Jets, Giants, Broncos.

I've seen him duck and elude pressure many, many times, at least 4x as many as he does it without.

But no one here said Brady is never skittish in the pocket. Every QB gets skittish, even Brady.

It's fairly often compared to other starting QBs

I'm not suggesting he runs around frightened all game. I just think he senses more pressure than there usually is. This isn't to say I want him replaced or I think he's bad.

It's possible to criticize a Patriots player/coach yet still think they're really good. Believe it or not.

Other QBs don't even try to duck to avoid pressure. They turtle when they feel it. Brady has a trademark duck. And he does it often, and it works most of he time. It's a good thing, not a bad thing.

It's a testament to the negativity around here that everyone notices when Brady ducks without pressure, but almost no one mentions the incredible houdini act the next week when he does the same exact thing to elude a rusher.

???? I've seen him duck 3 times in the past few years with no pressure. Jets, Giants, Broncos.

There isn't a stat to track ducks so I can't argue with you and cite anything.

I'm certain he's ducked more than that though.

In response to your other post, I really don't care that he does it. I just don't agree with people piling on Sapp when I personally can see how he drew the conclusion he did.

It's a testament to the negativity around here that everyone notices when Brady ducks without pressure, but almost no one mentions the incredible houdini act the next week when he does the same exact thing to elude a rusher.

It's a testament to the willingness of people to clown themselves that people acknowledge the phantom ducking but still make ridiculous claims about how the only reason someone is saying something is because of Brady's looks.

Last edited:
There isn't a stat to track ducks so I can't argue with you and cite anything.

I'm certain he's ducked more than that though.

In response to your other post, I really don't care that he does it. I just don't agree with people piling on Sapp when I personally can see how he drew the conclusion he did.

We pile on Sapp because it's a stupid thing he said.

It's a testament to the willingness of people to clown themselves that people acknowledge the phantom ducking but still make ridiculous claims about how the only reason someone is saying something is because of Brady's looks.

You're the most negative nellie out there. Do you have any happiness in your life at all?

Suggs, Lewis, Sapp, many others have actually mentioned Brady's looks all the time. Even Rodney Harrison piled on, jokingly, about it.

All these defenders that think Brady is overrated feel like Suggs, who always mentions Brady's looks.

The phantom ducks are a good thing.

JI had (yet another) conspiracy thread that Brady is not having the radio in his helmet turned off when it should because he is so eerily good at doing the great duck maneuver -the idea being that someone on the sideline or the stands was feeding him information about when to duck.

JI conspiracy nut-jobs aside, it has been my personal observation that at times, when the OL is playing badly and he cant rely on his blind-side being protected, yes Brady can duck prematurely or look skittish.

But so what? Who here doesn't know about who and what "happy feet" means? All of the greats/greatest QBs succumb to this at times. This is why Sapp is being an idiot for singling out Brady.

That said, its also my personal observation that Brady has ducked many times this year to hilariously good effect. One of the things that can still amaze me about Brady, this year included, is how good he is at just this: pocket awareness.

Last edited:
I've never got the feeling that Brady ducks because he's afraid to be hit. Brady's a tough SOB, at least that's my impression of him. People like Sapp are just there to make head lines, and here we are talking about it, so it worked. Brady ducks to avoid a sack, and keep the play alive. That's my take, so take it for what it's worth, but that man has stood tall in the pocket for a very long time. :rocker:

Hey Warren.

Russ Hochstein says hi.

......and is in better financial position than you!

Brady has looked nervous in the pocket, he has at times felt pressure that wasn't there. These are facts.

Phantom ducks are especially good with an orange glaze and baked at 375 degrees for 75 minutes. Paired with a phantom Pinot Grigio, they're sublime.

Sapp is one of the worst commentators IMO. I rarely put much stock in to anything he ever says. He is also extremely biased and for whatever, he doesn't like the Patriots so he rarely has anything nice to say about them!
Nobody said former football greats would make great commentators. ;)

You're the most negative nellie out there. Do you have any happiness in your life at all?

Suggs, Lewis, Sapp, many others have actually mentioned Brady's looks all the time. Even Rodney Harrison piled on, jokingly, about it.

All these defenders that think Brady is overrated feel like Suggs, who always mentions Brady's looks.

One of us is pretending that this is all about a QB's looks, despite admitting that said QB has ducked without pressure.

The other is simply saying that it's not all about Brady's looks, while not agreeing with the notion that the QB is scared in the pocket.

Instead of making this about me supposedly being negative, why not make this about you realizing that you're talking out of your backside on this topic?

Last edited:
You're right. He's clearly sucked this year. He's afraid. All those yards, touchdowns and a 5-3 record are bogus. Get bent.

What does get bent mean anyway? Should I be offended.

One of us is pretending that this is all about a QB's looks, despite admitting that said QB has ducked without pressure.

The other is simply saying that it's not all about Brady's looks, while not agreeing with the notion that the QB is scared in the pocket.

Instead of making this about me supposedly being negative, why not make this about you realizing that you're talking out of your backside on this topic?

Brady is as solid in the pocket as they come. Players all over the league think he's soft. When they talk about why that is, they mention the looks, the advertisements, the model wife, the diva. Hell, Welker calls him a diva (jokingly). You think the perception of him as a pretty boy doesn't work into this widespread dislike and questioning of his toughness? Yeah, right. It's the idea that he ducked that does it instead.

He didn't say that.

But keep reppin your homer status.

LOL, man. Do you guys even watch other QBs? Brady is the least nervous QB out there. Compared to Manning, Brady is on a dose of serenity now. It's as though someone came on and ripped Adrian Petersen for occasionally only gaining a yard. What the hell is the matter with you people?

Ha, Rothelisberger just ducked an oncoming pass rusher. *****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back