PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Santonio Opines on the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Santonio chimes in with his thoughts on the Pats' defense. The whole vid is not solely about the Pats, but they are the first team talked about in the clip. I really don't like that guy. How do you get swept where neither game was close really, miss the playoffs, and still have so much sh*t to talk? It's absurd.

NFL Videos: AFC East camp questions

Santonio chimes in with his thoughts on the Pats' defense. The whole vid is not solely about the Pats, but they are the first team talked about in the clip. I really don't like that guy. How do you get swept where neither game was close really, miss the playoffs, and still have so much sh*t to talk? It's absurd.

NFL Videos: AFC East camp questions

HONESTLY, have you been to my great state of New Jersey? :bricks:

He's just being a good team player, he see's Rex is slacking off talking trash, so he figured he'd pick up the slack.

(To bad 10M a year, couldn't buy him a vocabulary)

There were 61 players in the league who were more productive pass catchers that the Jets' $10MM/yr #1 WR. Why would ANYONE care about anything he has to say?

There were 61 players in the league who were more productive pass catchers that the Jets' $10MM/yr #1 WR. Why would ANYONE care about anything he has to say?

Touche, patfanken.

Also he'd be the 5th option at best in our offense, and easily makes more than all of those ahead of him

What a douchebag. When Jamie Dukes pointed out that we still have this threat to deal with(Santonio) i was like what the hell is he smoking? The last Jets WR that i was really afraid of was Braylon.

I hope he celebrates another 1st down when down by 21.

What a douchebag. When Jamie Dukes pointed out that we still have this threat to deal with(Santonio) i was like what the hell is he smoking? The last Jets WR that i was really afraid of was Braylon.

I hope he celebrates another 1st down when down by 21.

Haha, I remember that. I think even the game announcers said something about that at the time. I was dumbfounded when I saw it. I think I chuckled at his stupidity.

Several things:

- Moose Johnston shows how brain dead the media is. He said repeatedly the Pats had the worst defense in football multiple times. Really? The Bucs gave up 9.5 more points per game than the Pats did. Yet, they have a better defense than the Pats? That is the stupidity of the media. They judge defenses on one stat.
- Santonio talks about how bad the Pats defense is, but in two games he had he had 10 catches for 153 yards and 1 TD. If the Pats' defense was that bad, shouldn't he have had those stats in one game, not two? Also, the Jets scored 21 points in the first game (and one TD was on a 20 yard TD drive) and 16 points. Rob Ninkovich has as many TD passes from Sanchez in those two games as Holmes did.

Several things:

- Moose Johnston shows how brain dead the media is. He said repeatedly the Pats had the worst defense in football multiple times. Really? The Bucs gave up 9.5 more points per game than the Pats did. Yet, they have a better defense than the Pats? That is the stupidity of the media. They judge defenses on one stat.
- Santonio talks about how bad the Pats defense is, but in two games he had he had 10 catches for 153 yards and 1 TD. If the Pats' defense was that bad, shouldn't he have had those stats in one game, not two? Also, the Jets scored 21 points in the first game (and one TD was on a 20 yard TD drive) and 16 points. Rob Ninkovich has as many TD passes from Sanchez in those two games as Holmes did.

Your second point is exactly why I posted this and (honestly) am surprised that more people didn't comment (not just because it's my thread:)). He was so smug for a guy who didn't do much in either game last year after being swept by the team they probably hate and look forward to beating the most. I was just in shock of his attitude when I watched it and immediately had to post it here.

Last edited:

Because he understands the first two rules of self-promotion:
Rule 1: The only bad publicity is no publicity.
Rule 2: See Rule 1

We have a thread on it. We're talking about him. He's happy.

Nothing highlights the difference between the Pats and Jests better than this video.

1. Just the fact that he's allowed to do this, to openly and gleefully comment on the competition and provide the bulletin board material.

2. The smugness and arrogance he exhibits, rather than humility.

3. The stupidity in what he says, as if the Pats drafting players for the front seven won't help with the pass defense.

4. Doing all of this after his team had a bad year.

5. Doing all of this after he personally had (at best) mediocre performances against the Pats.

6. Doing all this when he would be, at best, the #4 option in the Pats offense, probably #5.

Several things:

I go by what my eyes seen, not some stat sheet.

The pats defense sucked last year, however they were opportunistic when they turned the ball over. That was the only thing that kept the opponents scoring down. We had a great offense that was not on the field more due to the inability of our D to get 3 and outs. We were the 4th worse in red-zone D
so it was not just a result of bend don't break.

If our defense didn't suck so bad we would not have used all our 5 top 100 draft selections to sign defensive players.

Our D sucked, because of some injuries mainly Chung and Dowling, McCourty regressing, and BB dumping Meriweather, Sanders and Butler in favor of Molden, Sergio Brown and Barrett.

This year if McCourty can return to form, Chung and Dowling stay on the
field will go a long way to rectify the problem. If Dennard shows something in the slot, Moore continues to improve with experience along with the addition of a real NFL safety in Gregory, I see the Pats making great strides

The pats defense sucked last year, however they were opportunistic when they turned the ball over. That was the only thing that kept the opponents scoring down. We had a great offense that was not on the field more due to the inability of our D to get 3 and outs. We were the 4th worse in red-zone D

If our defense didn't suck so bad we would not have used all our 5 top 100 draft selections to sign defensive players.

Our D sucked, because of some injuries mainly Chung and Dowling, McCourty regressing, and BB dumping Meriweather, Sanders and Butler in favor of Molden, Sergio Brown and Barrett.

field will go a long way to rectify the problem. If Dennard shows something in the slot, Moore continues to improve with experience along with the addition of a real NFL safety in Gregory, I see the Pats making great strides

Even before the bad personnel moves made in the secondary last TC, the defense sucked in 2010. The only difference was that they got their hands on a lot more turnovers which masked their deficiencies to a maximum point (similar to the 2009 Saints). When they couldn't get their hands on an INT or a fumble in the playoffs that year, they were toast.

Jabar Gaffney>Santonio Holmes

I disagree a bit. I felt the Pats' defense in reality was middle of the pack. It was at the low end of middle of the pack, but middle of the pack none the less. Their problem was consistency more than anything else. I think the regular season Giants' game was a perfect example of it where the defense shutdown Manning and the offense for 3 1/2 quarters and fell apart in the last half a quarter (granted because of a lot of injuries). But you saw that in a lot of games where the Pats shutdown the opposing offenses, but the opposing team would score a lot in smaller bunches.

But if you looked around the league, there was a lot of bad defenses (far worse than the Pats) who didn't get nearly as much exposure as bad defenses by the media as the Pats' did. Yes, the Pats gave up a lot yards, but they didn't give up a ton of points. Having DirecTV Sunday Ticket I was exposed to a lot of bad defenses that a lot of other people around here didn't and many of these bad defenses were sivs, but didn't give up as many yards because their offenses didn't give their defenses consistently favorable field distance like the Pats' offense did.

Last edited:
I thought it was funny when the talking head to Santonio's right praised the Jets' tremendous offseason and used "another year in for Sanchez" as reasons that the Jets got better (thereby making it harder for the Dophins to compete).

Another year in = better play for a QB who was just signed to an extension? :eek:

I disagree a bit. I felt the Pats' defense in reality was middle of the pack. It was at the low end of middle of the pack, but middle of the pack none the less. Their problem was consistency more than anything else. I think the regular season Giants' game was a perfect example of it where the defense shutdown Manning and the offense for 3 1/2 quarters and fell apart in the last half a quarter (granted because of a lot of injuries). But you saw that in a lot of games where the Pats shutdown the opposing offenses, but the opposing team would score a lot in smaller bunches.

But if you looked around the league, there was a lot of bad defenses (far worse than the Pats) who didn't get nearly as much exposure as bad defenses by the media as the Pats' did. Yes, the Pats gave up a lot yards, but they didn't give up a ton of points. Having DirecTV Sunday Ticket I was exposed to a lot of bad defenses that a lot of other people around here didn't and many of these bad defenses were sivs, but didn't give up as many yards because their offenses didn't give their defenses consistently favorable field distance like the Pats' offense did.

Good post.

"You are what you measure"- Robert Bartley

The reality is the changing nature of the game isn't reflected in the "legacy" measurements associated with rankings.

The top seeds for each conference last year ranked 31/32. The Super Bowl winner was 27th.

Yet somehow this actually makes sense?

Treating these stats as relavent is the best indication of what's wrong with evaluating defenses.

The reality is turnovers and turnover differential are the single most important determinant in who wins and loses. Turn the ball over 4 times expect to lose>95%.

Have turnover differential of -2 and expect to lose 90% of the time.

Yet somehow that's a qualifying stat.

When relavent stats are used to do relavent analysis then a clearer picture can emerge.

Ofcourse, one can fixate on more passing yards and it's 55% losing rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes