PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Santonio Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, when the Jets lose players, all of a sudden they sucked.
ITs been going on for many many years. Its what defines a true Jet fan.

no at a certain time players begin to suck. you are completely misunderstanding something so simple. why doesnt ty law play anymore btw? oh yeah probably becaause AT THIS STAGE, AT THIS TIME, AT THIS DATE, AT HIS CURRENT AGE HE PROBABLY IS NOT GOOD AT FOOTBALL(which translates simply into sucking, or in nicer terms 'not good')

**** maybe the jets should sign joe klecko. im sure he doesnt suck right now :bricks:

no at a certain time players begin to suck. you are completely misunderstanding something so simple. why doesnt ty law play anymore btw? oh yeah probably becaause AT THIS STAGE, AT THIS TIME, AT THIS DATE, AT HIS CURRENT AGE HE PROBABLY IS NOT GOOD AT FOOTBALL(which translates simply into sucking, or in nicer terms 'not good')

**** maybe the jets should sign joe klecko. im sure he doesnt suck right now :bricks:

I think I speak for most Patriots fans when I say that I'd love the Jets to keep Slauson as the starting LG, and to replace Woody with Hunter. While you're making the GM decisions, could you also please keep LadyT, and give Jamaal Westerman, and Josh Mauga big minutes?

I think I speak for most Patriots fans when I say that I'd love the Jets to keep Slauson as the starting LG, and to replace Woody with Hunter. While you're making the GM decisions, could you also please keep LadyT, and give Jamaal Westerman, and Josh Mauga big minutes?

sure i will keep Slauson, and Hunter on the starting Oline...Dont really see what there is to complain about with those two. LaDanian may be back as the permanent 3rd down back. Mauga could possibly start as a ILB, Westerman probably not.

sure i will keep Slauson, and Hunter on the starting Oline...Dont really see what there is to complain about with those two.

They both suck. That would be where I'd start if I were a Jets fan looking for problems.

LaDanian may be back as the permanent 3rd down back. Mauga could possibly start as a ILB, Westerman probably not.

Sounds great to me. Jets 7-9 next year at the pace you're recommending.

They both suck. That would be where I'd start if I were a Jets fan looking for problems.

Sounds great to me. Jets 7-9 next year at the pace you're recommending.

mauga obviously isnt going to start for the jets, but he may somewhere else. if you think those two offensive linemen suck you are lost lol. im pretty much done with this right now.

The only needs at LG, and RT are depth. Wayne Hunter RT(D. Woody's back up) has proven to the NFL he can start. He destroyed Peppers(not 1 on 1 everytime of course) and did very well against the Steelers twice.

LG Matt Slauson after week 1 (when Ngata blew him up on 2 plays) has been very consistent. He is also a solid starter.

Ducasse was Slauson in 2009. He wont have to start next year since it seems obvious by Jets beat reporters(and Wayne Hunter on Twitter himself @uso099) that Wayne Hunter will start at Right Tackle.

Ducasse will get another year of learning/training to be an offensive linemen(unless injury of course) Just like Slauson did.

Harris is an issue, but I'm not sure how much $$ he will require. He cannot cover, but is excellent at run stopping, and is a hard hitter. (didn't do well against Mendenhall though..sunday..) I don't think the Jets will let Harris go.

We have some guys on the Practice squad who were high draft picks let go at DE/OLB that all I heard of them was good. Now obviously I cant take that so seriously...since you rarely hear bad things about PSquad players from a team.

OLB is a MAJOR issue. We have nobody whom can beat their man 1 on 1 at a consistent basis, and that's embarrassing. Calvin Pace week 3 preseason broke his foot, and that screwed us. Pace isnt really that good anyway though.

Jamaal Westerman, and Josh Mauga are pretty okay guys that the jets have been developing as OLB/ILB.

Pitoitua may be able to replace Ellis, but I think Ellis will give it one more go on the cheap. Also Jarron Gilbert(dude who is famous for jumping out of a pool on youtube lol), and Marcus Dixon have gotten some playing time this year, and done well in a MINOR rotation role on the DLINE.

Bottom line is Holmes/Edwards most likely will be difficult, but it seems doable.

Smith only got on the field, because Jim Leonhard went down. Well actually he started once opposite Leonhard, because Pool didn't fully know the system.

Jenkins hasnt contributed **** the past 2 years. Damien Woody is done, and we have a backup check. Bryan Thomas is one of the slowest OLB in the league. Jason Taylor sucks.

Cromartie indeed is another issue. The thing with him though is he loves upfront guaranteed $$. If the Jets can get him for another year, or two and front load the deal.. I think he will stay. He needs the $ ASAP to feed those kids.

Right on, thanks for the in-depth response. Isn't Hunter a UFA? If he's as good as you say he is, I could see a lot of teams (including, potentially, the Pats if Light walks and Vollmer moves to LT) taking a shot at him. Jets could potentially have a hard time keeping him.

I'm with you on Jenkins, Taylor, and Pace. Looking at his cap figures, it looks like Pace isn't at all cuttable until 2012, and realistically isn't until 2013. I'd have to think that they would have cut him this year if they had anyone at all behind him, just to get his cap hit out of the way in an uncapped year rather than carrying his bloated salary around for a couple more (not totally clear on the uncapped year rules, but my understanding was that you could do that, since there's no current-year cap to 'punish' you).

Do you think that the Jets will be targeting OLB early in the draft? That could get interesting; they certainly won't have the ammo to move past the Pats, pick-wise, and the elite 3-4 OLB prospects usually get snapped up quickly. Seems to me like being undermanned at OLB might end up having to be a fact of life for the Jets for the next couple of years, unless they stumble upon a James Harrison-style diamond in the rough. As a Pats fan over the past few years, I can attest to the fact that having lackluster OLB production sucks. I hope that Cunningham can make some big strides next year. All that I can say is don't count on anything from Crable. He was given every opportunity to make it here, and he couldn't. Don't see how things will be any different for him in New York.

I dunno about Ellis coming on the cheap, though. If he wasn't on everyone's mind already, he definitely made himself some money against the Pats last week. There aren't a ton of guys who have shown that they can play 3-4 DE like he does, and if the Jets lowball him, I would absolutely love for the Pats to snag him. He's a proven talent at a valuable position, and with Richard Seymour about to set the market for guys like that, he might find that he's an awful lot more valuable than he made this past season. Given his age, I'd be surprised if he doesn't go for all the guaranteed money he can get, since this will almost certainly be his last chance at a big contract.

Also, looking at the site that you linked, do you think that guys like Brunell and Hartsock (making <$2M, but no dead money if cut) could be in danger? Seems like, if the Jets get really desperate and need a few more million to get one more guy re-signed, they might replace those folks with UDFAs. Dangerous approach, and pretty much the antithesis of what the Pats do, but would be interested to hear your take. Given that Brunell's bankrupt, you couple probably cut him and re-sign him for the vet minimum and, since nobody's likely willing to pay him more and retirement isn't an option, he'd probably take it. That would only save around $500K though, so if they want greater savings than that they'd probably have to replace him outright.

Last edited:

Those players are over the hill and too old to play. The players you are trashing are just not likely to be Jets.
As I said you are starting early, congrats on the determination, to be able to sit here in June and say the Jets didnt lose anyone they wanted to keep, and are improved at all the positions that you lost starters. I would call it the Faneca Syndrome, but Jet fans have been doin it for years.

You are comparing guys who were the best players you could put on the filed to a 55 year old broken down Jet. Nice try.

mauga obviously isnt going to start for the jets, but he may somewhere else. if you think those two offensive linemen suck you are lost lol. im pretty much done with this right now.

I'd expect the Jets offseason to look something like this:
Ellis - takes a pay cut and stays
Edwards - stays, seems to be more a part of the team than Holmes
Holmes - leaves
Cromartie - gets paid and stays
Lady T - leaves
Taylor - leaves
Harris - gets big money and stays
Woody - leaves
Jenkins - leaves
Thomas - leaves
Smith - leaves

This seems like a sensible course of action of course, so ideally it doesn't happen.

I'd expect the Jets offseason to look something like this:
Ellis - takes a pay cut and stays
Edwards - stays, seems to be more a part of the team than Holmes
Holmes - leaves
Cromartie - gets paid and stays
Lady T - leaves
Taylor - leaves
Harris - gets big money and stays
Woody - leaves
Jenkins - leaves
Thomas - leaves
Smith - leaves

This seems like a sensible course of action of course, so ideally it doesn't happen.
I dont think they can afford all of those players. You know that Cromartie, Harris and Edwards are all going to want to be paid at the top of their positions.
Cromartie actually thinks he is a top corner. Harris will want more than Bart Scott got. Edwards is more overrated in his own mind than in Jets fans minds, and forget Holmes because he will want Fitzgerald money.

Dude like to smoke out, so he can hang with KFaulk, Rmoss, and BB's kids. Sign the beast!

I dont think they can afford all of those players. You know that Cromartie, Harris and Edwards are all going to want to be paid at the top of their positions.
Cromartie actually thinks he is a top corner. Harris will want more than Bart Scott got. Edwards is more overrated in his own mind than in Jets fans minds, and forget Holmes because he will want Fitzgerald money.

If there's one thing going for Edwards, it's that he can't command top-WR money. He might try, but who would give it to him? If Cromartie, Harris and Edwards are the 3 guys that they target, then they can get them signed. It will mean parting ways with a lot of other guys, though.

Last edited:
As I said, when the Jets lose players, all of a sudden they sucked.
ITs been going on for many many years. Its what defines a true Jet fan.

*shrug*, the only one that I really disagree with Faulk on is Woody, who can still play. But the rest? Jenkins hasn't really played in 2 years, Thomas and Taylor aren't that great, and Cromartie's going to hurt, but they probably can't (and might not want to) resign him. His assessments on the likely departures are pretty spot on, although I think he's being pretty overoptimistic about their replacements.

Is this thread a joke?

Maybe I missed a lot of the Jets games, but I never once wished he played for the Pats.

Dude like to smoke out, so he can hang with KFaulk, Rmoss, and BB's kids. Sign the beast!

:rofl: hahahahah

Those players are over the hill and too old to play. The players you are trashing are just not likely to be Jets.
As I said you are starting early, congrats on the determination, to be able to sit here in June and say the Jets didnt lose anyone they wanted to keep, and are improved at all the positions that you lost starters. I would call it the Faneca Syndrome, but Jet fans have been doin it for years.

You are comparing guys who were the best players you could put on the filed to a 55 year old broken down Jet. Nice try.

I'm not bashing any players we may not be able to keep. I'm giving an honest opinion..and not saying the Jets will absolutely improve all positions where players were lost. Bryan Thomas has been a pretty good player for the jets, but was been somewhat of a disappointment..considering he was a 22nd overall pick, and is slowing down dramatically. He is honestly a run stopping OLB, and the Jets need a threat for pass rushing..BADLY. Saying a player 'sucks', or isnt really good anymore(especially for the money he is making) doesnt mean I do not appreciate what he has done for the Jets franchise in the past. I don't bash Vilma..I actually hope Vilma does well.

Right on, thanks for the in-depth response. Isn't Hunter a UFA? If he's as good as you say he is, I could see a lot of teams (including, potentially, the Pats if Light walks and Vollmer moves to LT) taking a shot at him. Jets could potentially have a hard time keeping him.

I'm with you on Jenkins, Taylor, and Pace. Looking at his cap figures, it looks like Pace isn't at all cuttable until 2012, and realistically isn't until 2013. I'd have to think that they would have cut him this year if they had anyone at all behind him, just to get his cap hit out of the way in an uncapped year rather than carrying his bloated salary around for a couple more (not totally clear on the uncapped year rules, but my understanding was that you could do that, since there's no current-year cap to 'punish' you).

Do you think that the Jets will be targeting OLB early in the draft? That could get interesting; they certainly won't have the ammo to move past the Pats, pick-wise, and the elite 3-4 OLB prospects usually get snapped up quickly. Seems to me like being undermanned at OLB might end up having to be a fact of life for the Jets for the next couple of years, unless they stumble upon a James Harrison-style diamond in the rough. As a Pats fan over the past few years, I can attest to the fact that having lackluster OLB production sucks. I hope that Cunningham can make some big strides next year. All that I can say is don't count on anything from Crable. He was given every opportunity to make it here, and he couldn't. Don't see how things will be any different for him in New York.

I dunno about Ellis coming on the cheap, though. If he wasn't on everyone's mind already, he definitely made himself some money against the Pats last week. There aren't a ton of guys who have shown that they can play 3-4 DE like he does, and if the Jets lowball him, I would absolutely love for the Pats to snag him. He's a proven talent at a valuable position, and with Richard Seymour about to set the market for guys like that, he might find that he's an awful lot more valuable than he made this past season. Given his age, I'd be surprised if he doesn't go for all the guaranteed money he can get, since this will almost certainly be his last chance at a big contract.

Also, looking at the site that you linked, do you think that guys like Brunell and Hartsock (making <$2M, but no dead money if cut) could be in danger? Seems like, if the Jets get really desperate and need a few more million to get one more guy re-signed, they might replace those folks with UDFAs. Dangerous approach, and pretty much the antithesis of what the Pats do, but would be interested to hear your take. Given that Brunell's bankrupt, you couple probably cut him and re-sign him for the vet minimum and, since nobody's likely willing to pay him more and retirement isn't an option, he'd probably take it. That would only save around $500K though, so if they want greater savings than that they'd probably have to replace him outright.
I would not be surprised if the Patriots took a look at Wayne Hunter. He would fit the BB way very well. Whenever you hear him speak he is always praising the coaching staff, Jets players, and every other player he has come in contact with. He does not come off as a "me" type player. Who knows though. I dont know the dude obviously.

Yeah Jenkins, and Taylor are most likely gone. Pace isn't cuttable , and still is a productive player. His contract is an issue though, and I doubt he takes a pay cut, but will probably be asked.

I think the Jets are going to draft heavy OLB, and DLine. We probably will have to strike gold in the draft for a pass rusher.

Ellis recently said he doesn't want to go to any other team(but if the $$ is right he probably will change his mind) The sacks against the Patriots were mainly coverage sacks. I rewatched the entire game(on defense) and on all of those sacks Brady had atleast 4 seconds to toss the ball. Ellis can still beat his man 1 on 1, but lacks the final step to get to the quarterback..which is quickness.

I doubt Hartstock will be cut, but Brunell most likely.

Woody can still play, but I think Hunter proved to the NFL he can start as a RT in this league. The Jets will need that $$ though.

I wonder if Jenkins is done. He's played what 3 games in 2 years? He was a beast in 08 though.

I wonder if Jenkins is done. He's played what 3 games in 2 years? He was a beast in 08 though.

Jenkins hates the Pats....absolutely no current Jet will be a Patriot this offseason...I would be willing to bet the house on that.

Jenkins hates the Pats....absolutely no current Jet will be a Patriot this offseason...I would be willing to bet the house on that.

The only one who I'd even consider as a vague possibility is Shaun Ellis. You can't assume that they all buy into the mentality that we keep hearing about, and for a lot of guys, a paycheck is a paycheck. You could have said the same thing last year, but look at Danny Woodhead.

As far as Jenkins, why would we want him anyways? Awful lot of salary to tie up in a guy who you know for a fact will be out for the year with a knee injury by week 4.

You could have said the same thing last year, but look at Danny Woodhead.

Agreed. Anyone leaving the Jets will likely be doing so in large part because of money. And that person will not be happy with the Jets at the time.

What better way to stick it to them than to sign with the Pats.

And a lot of guys really don't care as long as they have a job and are being paid a wage that they think is fair.

As to Holmes, he's a good player but I can't see him being a BB kind of guy. His comments after the Stillers beat the Jets demonstrated, once again, that Holmes is a punk.

BB will pass.

Hmm. A guy we can barely cover that we don't really care for on our team.

*cough*WES WELKER*cough*

Now obviously we didn't care for Welker because we didn't KNOW him well.
We don't want Holmes because he is a giant D-Bag.

Give him a chance.

Jenkins, Wilfork, and T Warren on the DLine, rested by G Warren, Brace and a 1st Round pick? Everyone stays rested and opposing OLs are destroyed. Why would we want Jenkins - IF he stays healthy we want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back