Welcome to PatsFans.com

Santonio Holmes refuses to return punts that are too good (merged)

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by ctpatsfan1, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan1

ctpatsfan1 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

WR Santonio Holmes said yesterday that the reason be came off the field as the punt returner Sunday against Miami was because he'd become so frustrated with how well Dolphins punter Brandon Fields was kicking he begged out of the game, giving way to CB Antonio Cromartie. "It wasn't fun because the guy was kicking it 60 or 70 yards and he didn't give me a chance to get going," Holmes said. "I was upset. I kind of got frustrated and didn't even want to return punts because of way he was punting the ball. "I got tired of him punting. Every time he got back to punt, this guy was standing on his own goal line and he's punting it to our 15-yard line. I'm like, 'Who does that?' I told 'West' (special teams coach Mike Westhoff), 'You can send someone else back there. There's no way I want to return 97-yard punts.' " Holmes will be back returning punts Sunday against his former team, the Steelers. "Those guys know how I feel about returning punts at that stadium [Heinz Field]," he said. "Those guys know if they give me an opportunity, trust me, I'm going to take advantage of it. If they give me a crease, I'm going to take it the house. Feed that to those guys."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/scott_no_divide_in_locker_room_asA31GQtTWotVua5b82zJI

Link should work now

Can anyone imagine Welker/Edelman or even Faulk or Troy Brown going to BB or the S/T's coach and making that statement? That is sheer lunacy. The inmates are definitely in charge of the asylum known as the NY Jets organization.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +83 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

The man is a punt returner, not a spectator. Have you any idea what these zero returns do to his future income possibilities as a playmaker?:rolleyes:

3. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +36 / 2 / -0

No Jersey Selected

ha-hah! this made my day!! :)

And, he's a SB MVP, right? Maybe he did want VIP treatment when the punts are kicked to him. :D

4. TX_Patriot

TX_Patriot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wait, wait, wait...This has to be an Onion article. I mean, no professional football player would ever do that...err...right?

5. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +759 / 1 / -5

No Jersey Selected

he wouldn't be returning punts next week or any time soon, to be sure.

Does Holmes also explain why stopped catching perfectly thrown passes in the end zone?

6. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,397 / 30 / -10

And the further proof that the inmates are running the asylum in NY. Seriously, why would Ryan and Westoff allow this?

Cromartie doesn't have the build to be a punt returner. There is a reason most punt returners are usually smaller and shifter (That's why the Pats use Welker and Edelman and Troy in the past). A punt returner usually catches the ball with defenders right in front of him and needs to turn on a dime right away and many times has to shift from side to side. Watching Cromartie get owned time and again from shifty WR like Branch did two weeks ago shows he isn't cut out for it.

So Holmes' selfishness helped play a factor in the Jets'* loss. The fact that Ryan would enable this behavior shows the guy isn't cut out to be a good head coach and can only be a front runner coach. Ryan is Dick MacPherson with a better team around him and a funnier schtick.

Holmes is a perfect Jets* player though - Selfish and boisterious.

*Caught Cheating

7. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,961 / 14 / -22

#61 Jersey

He said he took himself out because it wasn't any "fun." Unbelievable. Just reinforces what the Green Beans are built on: having fun and eating goddamn snacks.

Yes, he was a Super Bowl MVP who, in his greatest moment of glory, celebrated his Super Bowl-winning touchdown catch by imitating the pre-game ritual of basketballer LeBron James. (Shaking the football like a can of talcum powder and then waving his arms to simulate a cloud of powder.) Holmes is a moron.

8. Sicilian

Sicilian Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +782 / 2 / -3

Two losses in a row, offense sputtering, Holmes dropping balls and losing his mind, Wallgate... and with each step closer to chaos and collapse, I'm overjoyed when I remember it was a 45-3 beating by our Patriots that set it in motion. :D

9. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

You're link doesn't work.

10. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +83 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

He was still fuming over the fact he couldn't return any punts and lost focus. It's all very logical.

11. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,714 / 33 / -57

No Jersey Selected

12. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,126 / 23 / -30

is that where Sanphonyo stashes his weed..in the tires??..and then jettisons the load going over jumps??

Cool...man, he's got some mad skills...

13. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 49 / -7

#75 Jersey

"Come On Man" did he really say that? The guy was punting too good? Think about that, the Miami Punter was the clear cut MVP of that game, but in a single possession game (like that one was for the entire game) how can you not want to "make a play"? This guy s a free agent after the season. Tip your hat to the punter, yes, but ask out, because the guy is too good, in the immortal words of John McEnroe, "Are you Serious?"

14. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I can't believe this. How can you get upset and mad because the punter is doing his job? They need to stop whining and b*tching and do their jobs. This team has really shown its true colors, they are terrible as a team. Sanchez has lost it, Holmes can't even snag a perfectly thrown TD pass which was a rare occasion for Sanchez lately, Sexy Rexy blames the defense and not that terrible ass offense. LT who? Coaches tripping players on the sideline. Injuries just keep rolling in....The list goes on...

This has been the best year ever..... I swear i saw this happeneing, the luck has run out. Jets won't make the playoffs. They wont beat Chicago and Steelers.

15. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +759 / 1 / -5

No Jersey Selected

16. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,671 / 9 / -2

#50 Jersey

No kidding! I had to read it 3 times to let it sink in. It's "no fun" if the other team knows how to play football too? And if you're not having "fun" you just take your ball and go home? And then you explain to the press, with no shame at all, that you refused to do you job because you were pouting like a little child?

Holy crap.

If Bill Belichick were the coach of that team, forget returning punts at "fun" Heinz field -- you'd be lucky to be in uniform at all for the next game. See: Glenn, Terry.

17. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,451 / 20 / -20

#75 Jersey

Here's another so you can see it:

Scott: No divide in locker room - NYPOST.com

The Santonio Holmes part of the dysfunction starts 6 paragraphs down

(edit: oops, I see my Uncle Rico got here first)

18. PatsGuy

PatsGuy On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -1

19. Halifax_Pats_Fan

Halifax_Pats_Fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +183 / 1 / -0

Re: Poor Santonio Holmes

I think this clown is trying to punk the media, no one can be taking this seriously....

20. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

This team is.....wow. Absolutely no filter on these guys. None. And that all goes back to their head coach.

I also assumed it was an Onion piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.