Welcome to PatsFans.com

Santonio Holmes, Polamalu suffer "significant injuries"

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BadMoFo, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

This sucks for any team, especially during these crucial games. Don't know what this means as far as our game 2-1/2 games away.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3120847

2. patriot lifer

patriot lifer Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

i'd imagine that even if they do play against the pats that they won't be 100%. An ankle injury to a wr is always a pain because of all of the route movements.

It's too bad that Troy P (aka Taz) keeps getting banged up. He's a good guy
  3. OntarioPatsFan

OntarioPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think the significance of "significant" is more a reflection of the injured players' absence vs. the severity of their injuries.
  4. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +214 / 4 / -5

OTOH, they are playing the Dolphins. . . . :rolleyes:
  5. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They will be back for the Pats game. I would hold them out of the Dolphins "game" too, if I were the coach.
  6. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Normally that would constitute a pseudo bye, but after losing to the JETS it could constitute a trap game for the Steelers given these injuries.

I like Polamalu as a player and a person. He was crushed when the Chin walked away. He was making goo-goo eyes at Bill at the Pro Bowl, but to his credit he loyally re-upped with the team who drafted him. Hope he's OK and the Steelers don't blow the 3 seed now. I have no problem playing them in the playoffs, but I'd still rather they play the Colts first...preferably outdoors on a miserable night!
  7. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now we have to hear all season how this team and that team wasn't 100% when the Patriots beat them............bah!
  8. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I will be the first one to say that injuries arent an excuse. Our backups have proven they can get it done like when we shutout seattle. Hampton and Polalmalu were out that game.
  9. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. (shameless Princess Bride plug)

You really think that "significant" is referring to the relative value of the player to the team? You may be right but if you are then Tomlin is an idiot. Would he still say the injuries were "significant" if there were capable backups ready to play? If they instead lost Cedrick Wilson and Tyrone Carter (the backups Tomlin will be counting on now) with the same injuries, would he say that those are "insignificant" injuries?

I'm inclined to believe that "significant" in this context means they won't just rub dirt on it and get back on the field. You do bring up a good point about teams getting all worked up publicly about injuries. It doesn't exactly give the backups a warm fuzzy that the team has any confidence in them.

As far as I can remember, the Pats' company line on injuries is that they are an opportunity for someone to step up...never stating that the team has become limited or weaker. Remember Brady blowing a fuse when Marty suggested after a Bolts' win that the Pats just couldn't overcome their injuries? Implication was that the backups were sissy men incapable to doing the job.
  10. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Tomlin is just makin sure his top guys are not banged up for the Pats game, cuz theyll need all the help they can get there
  11. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Right on, man. There is a reason why the roster size is 53 and not 24. Building quality depth is just as important as having top-flight starters.
  12. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For sure. thats why some teams can be completley devestated by injury while a quality team seems to shrug them off.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  13. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think the loss to the Jets changes that dynamic. Pitt is unlikely to catch the Pats now so this game has lost some significance. They obviously still want to win (hold off CLE and tiebreaker against Indy), but I think it is unlikely Tomlin rushes anyone back for the Pats game if they aren't ready.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  14. psychoPat

psychoPat Role Player PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Fair enough.
    But still. Doncha think they'd just LOVE to slay Grendel
    ... on their way to the playoffs ?
  15. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I knew Beowulf, Beowulf was a friend of mine, and you Roethlisberger, are no Beowulf.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.