Welcome to PatsFans.com

Santonio Holmes Arrested again

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by TeamPats, Jun 19, 2006.

1. TeamPats

TeamPats On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

See the story on PFT:

Man, the Patriots acquisition of Jackson in Round 2 looks better by the day. The Steelers are not having what I would say is a very good offseason.

2. TeamPats

TeamPats On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

This guy has some issues, glad we did our homework and did not wind up with him. I always have difficulty understanding if you are on the threshold of becoming a millionaire to play a game you probably love, keep yourself in check.

4. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

It happens and...it really shouldn't...but..Steeler life will go on...

5. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is nothing anybody could add to that line...

6. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +111 / 2 / -3

Though I did take the opportunity to tweak the Steelers troll who boasted that Pittsburgh picked Holmes because he had a higher quality character than Jackson, ultimately I gave this guy a free pass after he and 600 other people were arrested in a Miami sweep of a street party.

There's no pass, and no excuse, for domestic violence.

This episode makes clear the type of character the Steelers have on their hands.

7. bunzoburns

bunzoburns Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Santonio Turner?

I am so glad that we drafted the Chad instead of Ike Turner!

8. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

Wow!!! Unbelievable!

Thank GOD, the Patriots drafted Jackson, and not this punk!

Once a punk, always a punk! The odds of him becoming something
    special are not good.

9. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +91 / 4 / -0

I'm quite disturbed by how lightly Cowher is taking the fact that the guy beat up a woman. It's crazy how it's just expected that these NFL players do these terrible things. If it were anyone else, we'd be talking about what a bad person this is, instead, we got Cowher saying he doesn't think it'll have long term effects on his NFL career. Ridicolous.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  10. mavfan2390

mavfan2390 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bro those comment were meant for the first incident with Holmes, the disorderly conduct one. The second incidenct hasn't been commented on by Steelers officials yet.

11. ClosingTime

ClosingTime On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think you misread the article. Cowher was not commenting on Holmes' latest incident.

Anyways I'm not going to defend the guy, or condemn him for that matter, until I get all the info. This can't be a good sign though.

12. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +111 / 2 / -3

The only scenario I can imagine that shouldn't have Holmes endure a "Code Red" at the hands of his teammate is if the woman was "crying wolf" - fabricating the incident entirely in an effort to somehow blackmail him.

It has been known to happen so I suppose we should at least recognize the possibility.

13. ClosingTime

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Chris Rock once said, "You should never, ever, ever hit a woman. Bu that doesn't mean they doen't deserve it. No one's above an asskicking."

Jokes aside, it could have just been an argument, the woman called the police, who, when responding to a domestic dispute call) are then required to make an arrest. Also, I've heard reports that he was charged with assault, no that he assaulted the woman. The distinction is significant. If you are charged with assault & battery, that mean you hit someone. If you are charged with assault, that can be merely verbal. But, in this article the writer says he was arerested for assaulting" the woman, which usually carries the connotation that he hit her.
    In any case, it's awfully hard to defend the guy, especially seeing as this was on Father's DAy. Then again, maybe she got him some cheap, crappy tie.

14. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 20 / -18

I do not believe its correct that you must be automatically arrested if the police are called on a domestic dispute.

That said, and sadly, hitting a woman and playing in the NFL are not mutually exclusive. The character issue involved there is shared by many, many NFL players.
    If I were a Steeler fan (putting aside morality and only worrying how this affects his career) I'd be much more concerend that after already getting in trouble, he is back in trouble again. That trait is one that leads to busts, guy who think they are the center of the universe, and can do what they want, or simply have no control. What he did is objectionable, but the fact that he is trouble twice in 2 months since being drafted, is a bigger attitude concern to me.
    I am a big Buckeye fan, loved Holmes as a player, but didnt want the Pats to draft him because of all the reports of attitude and work ethic. This is not proof, but a chip in the corner of the argument that everything aside from football ability is a problem with Holmes.

15. ClosingTime

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It depends on the state but more states than not have this stipulation. Even if the police show up and the woman says eveything is fine, they are required to take one of the two (almost always the man) away.
    I still don't put any stock into the disorderly conduct charge, I don't want to go through it all again but I think it was a bunch of BS. The area it happened in is always overcrowded with people. But the police choose the weekend of the Hip Hop festival to decide to crack down on lioitering or jaywalking? Draw your own etch-a-sketch conclusion on that one. (The fact that this hasn't been reported in one newspaper I find very troubling, but that's beside the fact.)
    So I'm not ready to make character judgements on the kid yet, but he better get his act together or he'll wind up in jail or as a member of the Baltimore Ravens, whichever punishment the judge deems more severe.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  16. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

There have been little rumblings that Cowher might have been toying with the idea of quitting while he was ahead or moving on to a new challenge. He of course denied all that and set out to try to prepare these guys to defend with a bullseye on their backs. Adopted our turn the page mentality and even quietly bestowed their (not so stunning :eek: ) rings in private. Tough enough play this game without all this drama obviously rooted in fairly deep seeded immaturity. He's probably rethinking his decision....

I (almost) feel bad for Steeler fans too because this stuff (including Joey's same outbursts and impending holdout and of course Ben's mindless behavior and resulting injuries) really starts to take some of the lustre off a conference and eventual Superbowl championship, won as a 6th seed road team, that was already somewhat tainted by the uproar over piss poor officiating. It has to somewhat temper the anticipation of celebrating opening night at home as the reigning champs.

The Chin needs to hang a new sign up in the locker room -

From those to whom much has been given, much is expected. Quit acting like the world is your freakin' oyster and pick up a GD oar and start rowing.

17. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Part of the problem with this one is twofold. As Cowher said he obviously didn't handle himself well in the situation. The problem arose however because he put himself in that situation in the first place. He's not just some kid kicking back after dropping out of college. He's a friggin' NFL first round draft choice the reigning Superbowl Champions paid a fairly steep price to move up for in the draft who said at age 22 he needed to declare and be drafted high as a Jr. to support HIS 3 CHILDREN. The early reports on his second scuffle with the law in as many weeks indicate this incident involved the mother of just one of those little cuties.

Cowher certainly has his hands full with the 2006 Steelers. And no Bus to load them on to either.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2005
  18. shakadave

shakadave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Speaking purely from the perspective of a fan of a rival team to the Steelers, this is great news. May Holmes continue to follow in the footsteps of Chris Henry.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2005
  19. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +789 / 6 / -10

#75 Jersey

He may have some character issues, but at least he's smart.

He waited til after the draft to go on his crime spree.:D

20. shakadave

shakadave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

But probably he hasn't signed his contract yet. Seriously, what will this do to negotiations? Add extra language specifying that he must keep his nose clean?