Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sanitation Department's slow snow cleanup was a budget protest

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

Public employee unions at their best. Seriously though, why does the government need to have a union in the first place? The government is supposedly the best tool to run our lives from A to Z, but at the same time, they aren't good enough to run employment at their service agencies, on their own. Go figure.

If I were ever elected to executive office of a city or town near me, where budget problems were persistent, my first move would be to find a way to fire all the unions, and hire my own people. I'd pay well, and give good benefits, but I wouldn't ever let some group of thugs dictate to the people's government, what the terms should be. There is simply no need.

Sanitation Department's slow snow cleanup was a budget protest

By SALLY GOLDENBERG, LARRY CELONA and JOSH MARGOLIN

Last Updated: 9:54 AM, December 30, 2010

Posted: 2:34 AM, December 30, 2010

Selfish Sanitation Department bosses from the snow-slammed outer boroughs ordered their drivers to snarl the blizzard cleanup to protest budget cuts -- a disastrous move that turned streets into a minefield for emergency-services vehicles, The Post has learned.

Miles of roads stretching from as north as Whitestone, Queens, to the south shore of Staten Island still remained treacherously unplowed last night because of the shameless job action, several sources and a city lawmaker said, which was over a raft of demotions, attrition and budget cuts.

"They sent a message to the rest of the city that these particular labor issues are more important," said City Councilman Dan Halloran (R-Queens), who was visited yesterday by a group of guilt-ridden sanitation workers who confessed the shameless plot.

Sanitation workers selfishly slowed down the cleanup - NYPOST.com

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

That will get the award for the 2010 oxymoron.. not doubting that it was done, but why did the sanitation workers spill the beans to a City Councilman??

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is....

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

Probably because they didn't agree with what was being done. I believe some infant died because an ambulance couldn't get to where it needed to be, until some 8 hours after a call was made, because the roads were so bad. If this is indeed true that these workers intentionally kept plows higher than the snow, or moved at a slower pace than usual, then there should be hell to pay IMO. Remember, I said if.

4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Not disagreeing with the consequence, but spent a lot of years around unions and not too many of this sort every displayed much of a conscience...

Sounds like it might be a made up story.. that is all. Usually in any union, there is a code of silence whether it be amongst the police, fire, teachers or any other union.

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

I've had the local 22 regional boss tell me stories about what they do sometimes. He thought he was telling me something that I wanted to hear, when he was recruiting my company to go union. Hearing him, and hearing other people I know in the field, both union and non, this doesn't sound all that made up. Is it made up? Who knows for sure. Might be, might not be. I'd say there's some level of truth involved.

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Telling you and telling an elected official with an agenda are two different things..

7. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Public sector unions are bleeding us dry. And here they are a danger to the public safety. I remember Reagan justifiably firing the striking air traffic controllers.

Federal employees receive an average of $42,000 in benefits alone, in addition to an average salary of $123,000.

Government unions sucking us dry--Stephen B. Meister - NYPOST.com

I've seen numerous articles explaining how government employee unions hurt the economy and are unfair to private employees; I want to see an article explaining why government employee unions are inherently bad and unjust and should not be allowed. I seem to remember that argument being made years ago, but don't remember the details.

8. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

From Power Line - Time to Rethink Public Employee Unions:

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

I've been arguing this for years. The end result will be a wave of local cities and towns, as well as some states possibly, declaring bankruptcy. The costs associated with running local government is unsustainable. Bloated contracts agreed to 10 years ago, were starting points for an even more bloated contract 5 years later, which then leads us to 19% raises last year. Unsustainable. When you mention this, you get called names. It's simply economics. Anyone who operates a business, or who balances their checkbook and doesn't live in debt, pretty much understands what we're talking about.

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Until someone other than Dan Halloran says this is true, I'd take it with a grain or two of rock salt - just like I'd take any other claim made by a regualr FOXNews commentator.

11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Of course its ALWAYS Unions, Corporations would Never EVER Screw the citizens of this country. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Neo-Con Zombie mind set

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

Or Katie Couric or Mush Mouth Matthews or Olderman where's Dan Rather?

13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Charge NYC Union Leaders with Negligent Homicide - Big Government

One man's opinion but an interesting opinion IMO.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Andrew Breitbart should be charged with complete idiocy.. need a better source than that one..

Amazing that some councilman with an obvious agenda, says something and it becomes gospel.. so much so Breitbart circumvents the wheels of justice, little things like an investigation and subsequent grand jury...

Andy likes to take shortcuts... hearsay is not a very good standard for any criminal proceedings.

15. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Yes the ass clown tries to strike again. I was just talking to a couple of people that live in NYCity last night. They said considering there was No place to put the snow (except to truck it and dump it in the East river) they did a pretty good job clearing it. Just another shot at Unions by the Neo-Clowns.

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

These are the same azzclowns who everyday rant and rave about how their precious constitution is violated... except.. when it is convenient for them to violate it.. lets take a legal shortcut, no investigation, no grandjury just bring them to court and charge some phantom who said allegedly said something to someone who allegedly told a councilman with an obvious agenda.

Then when the court has to dismiss the case, start a new rant and rave about judicial activism or other such nonsense..

There is a little thing called due process, that everyone is entitled to.. except in the world or Andrew Breitbart.. more hysteria, more half truths.. lies, lies and more lies..

If this did take place investigate it.. and if there are legal issues, then pursue it correctly.. on on the front page of Big Government..

This is right from the Righty Whack a Mole Playbook.. demonize Acorn, ACLU, Gays, Illegals, Unions or anyone who dare disagrees or gets in the way of their wacked out corporatists agenda.. the newest idea is try a union in the blogosphere.. what a bunch of f..ing half wits.

17. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Typical political ploy that has been around for ever, pit one group against another, divide and conquer, obfuscate. It would be a damn fine country if it weren't for those _______fill in the blank.

Poor people

Unions

ACORN

Criminals

Welfare moms

All of the above plus.....

I became very aware of the tactic when Weld became gov. of Ma. His scape goats were criminals and welfare moms, he railed constantly against both groups which of course couldn't fight back. One day i heard him on the news ranting about prisoners and how what a economic burden they were. I had a flash back to Hitler giving speeches about (fill in blank) ruining Germany (I'm NOT comparing Weld to Hitler) except that it suddenly dawned on me that they used the same tactic, as did/do many other politicians. One of the problems is that a large percentage of a population falls for the trick every time.

18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

And of course, the snitches with all the 'evidence' will remain nameless.

Some people can be gullible. I must say a story featuring lazy and dishonest union workers is like crack to a Republican. They just can't resist.

19. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

I agree, but the same goes for stories about CEOs or corporate earnings for many on the left.

20. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Not to the same degree. Right wing radio flourishes for a reason.