San Fran out of the Cassel sweepstakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Or so they say at least:

Extra points - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

When assessing the potential trade market for Patriots QB Matt Cassel, the 49ers can be crossed off the list. Speaking at a "state of the franchise" event Monday night, San Francisco general manager Scot McCloughan said acquiring a top quarterback like Cassel was "not feasible"...

Of course, they could just be posturing. It's not like they'd show their cards and say "yeah, we're dying to trade for him, we'll trade the farm for him."

Or so they say at least:

Extra points - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Of course, they could just be posturing. It's not like they'd show their cards and say "yeah, we're dying to trade for him, we'll trade the farm for him."

Bummer. Not that I thought it was likely, but I did have dreams of Cassel for #10. We did so nicely with #10 from SF (with a little help from New Orleans) last year, it would be tempting to do it again.

Could all be posturing, and I still think SF would be better of using #10 on Cassel and solidifying the QB position than continuing in limbo. They haven't really had a long-term solid QB option since Steve Young (despite a few good years from Jeff Garcia). Much as they could us OL, WR, DT, DE and LB, I think an accurate, poised young QB would be the best thing for them. JMHO.

There are a lot of teams that think they can win with a second

rate quarterback. This is why I don't think the Patriots are going

to get a first round pick for Cassel.

A decision like that can be as simple as the front office having a mediocre opinion of Cassel as a QB. Like I said earlier, many teams need a QB, but you have to think that only a few will see Cassel as a stud.

Imagine what might happen if a couple of quarterbacks get injured in training..

At any rate, the need is so great and the supply so small that it's hard to imagine not getting great value for Cassel. Half a dozen teams--at least--need someone like him.

Let the auction begin.

Last edited:
Bummer. Not that I thought it was likely, but I did have dreams of Cassel for #10. We did so nicely with #10 from SF (with a little help from New Orleans) last year, it would be tempting to do it again.

Could all be posturing, and I still think SF would be better of using #10 on Cassel and solidifying the QB position than continuing in limbo. They haven't really had a long-term solid QB option since Steve Young (despite a few good years from Jeff Garcia). Much as they could us OL, WR, DT, DE and LB, I think an accurate, poised young QB would be the best thing for them. JMHO.

I think, given the talent that will likely be available at #10, the Niners are better off passing on Cassel and building a REAL 3-4 defensive line by drafting BJ Raji. As hard a very good QB is to find, a good nose tackle is even harder to find.

Plus, if you are the Niners, you have to consider the possibility that Cassel is a Patriot in 2009 and will be available next offseason via trade.

From what I read in to the original story in the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat was that the 49ers had decided there were too many holes that needed to be filled, and they were going to focus on depth rather than adding any 'impact' (i.e., expensive) free agent. It could be a negotiating ploy, or it could be an honest assessment of the team and a valid plan on how to rebuild.

He said philosophy is not to build a team through free agency. You can address needs in free agency. He said he wants to draft well and extend their own guys. He wants draft picks to grow as 49ers. He said free agency is a tool that will be used.

He said the 49ers will be in the top 6 or 7 teams as far as cap space, but that doesn't mean they'll blow it on one or two players. He did say, however, that he expects to sign four to six free agents. He also said he wants to extend some of the young players.

Positions of interest in free agency: offensive line, safety, wide receiver and quarterback. In free agency, the team can pinpoint what they need and address it.

Question for McCloughan, what is the probability of attracting a quality quarterback . . . he said bringing in a big name, such as Matt Cassel, is not feasible. He said he knows the 49ers will need to get deeper this year.

So apparently they are assuming it will cost a lot for Cassel, based on those last two quotes ('looking for a QB' but a 'big name'.) Rather than take this as a negative - one less team bidding for Cassel - I take this to be a positive: that NFL teams do beleive Cassel's price will be high - which is good for the Pats, and good for Cassel as well. Rotoworld is of the opinion that Cassel will end up with a $60 million contract (though they don't say how much they think he'll get guaranteed), and the Pats will get 'multiple high draft picks' and that is what scared the 49ers away.

I think SF and TB are out of the Cassel deal

Look for Minny and Chicago to be the main 2 teams willing to do a deal with a fair offer

A 1st rounder will not be in the deal unless Detroit is willing to give up thier #20,I can say this with pretty much confidence that it will be a 2nd/3rd rounder and something else in 2010

:pAgree that SF is out of the Cassel sweepstakes. Although I believe the thinking that you don't need a 1st rate quarterback is not the right attitude. It will come to bite them sooner or later if their thinking that way!

I think SF and TB are out of the Cassel deal

Look for Minny and Chicago to be the main 2 teams willing to do a deal with a fair offer

A 1st rounder will not be in the deal unless Detroit is willing to give up thier #20,I can say this with pretty much confidence that it will be a 2nd/3rd rounder and something else in 2010

Sorry but I really disagree in terms of the expected draft picks for Cassel. I truly don't understand why a team would be more willing to draft stafford/sanchez and yet not Cassel. Both of those guys WILL be first round picks, yet it is highly unlikely either (especially sanchez) will bring about any dividends this next year or two. I think a 1st + 2nd or 3rd is really the baseline, with maybe one of those picks being in 2010. But if they don't get a 1st this year I'll be shocked.

All these "reports" about teams not being interested is as much FUD as BB saying he looks forward to having Cassel on the team in 2009 :D

Anything stated through the media between now and the draft is all posturing ... a bunch of people talking crap ... means nothing.

Reportedly, Singletary wouldn't rule out Michael Vick in the future. I think it's safe to say that nothing is off the table in San Francisco.

Sorry but I really disagree in terms of the expected draft picks for Cassel. I truly don't understand why a team would be more willing to draft stafford/sanchez and yet not Cassel. Both of those guys WILL be first round picks, yet it is highly unlikely either (especially sanchez) will bring about any dividends this next year or two. I think a 1st + 2nd or 3rd is really the baseline, with maybe one of those picks being in 2010. But if they don't get a 1st this year I'll be shocked.

All these "reports" about teams not being interested is as much FUD as BB saying he looks forward to having Cassel on the team in 2009 :D

Maybe there will be some kind of deal where if Matt plays well this upcoming season for his new team, the Pats would get a #1 from that team the next season and if he is not productive then the Pats may get a lower pick or some kind of deal to make it interesting

I still think its unlikely Matt is traded for a #1 draft pick at least this season - IMO Cassel on a new team is almost as chancy as picking Stafford or Sanchez as your QB in the draft

Matt does have the edge of being on a team with a HOF QB and Coach but what that translates to going to a team like Detroit or Chicago ect is anyones guess

IMO Cassel has about a 50-50 chance of sucking or playing well on his new team since he still has only played one season as a starter and on a team with superb coaching and receivers

Is a 50-50 chance of being good worth risking a #1 this year?,Although we all hope there is a team that will gamble giving away a #1,I would'nt nor would I bet on a team doing so

There are a lot of teams that think they can win with a second

rate quarterback. This is why I don't think the Patriots are going

to get a first round pick for Cassel.

And that is why they will always be second rate franchises...........there aren't many SB winners with second rate QB's - to be one an outstanding defense, great RB and a lot of luck is needed (maybe all three at once).

Of all franchises, SF should know the value of a having a top QB........how far the once mighty have fallen.

Beginning to think that San Fran is another team that is rotting like fish--from the top. Is it something in that Bay water? Two of the most poorly managed teams in both leagues on the same body of water. hmmmmm--

Beginning to think that San Fran is another team that is rotting like fish--from the top. Is it something in that Bay water? Two of the most poorly managed teams in both leagues on the same body of water. hmmmmm--
It's incredible and ironic that two teams so close in proximity that were among the tops of their conferences for an extended peiod of time are now both at the bottom of those conferences for the last several years. Neither franchise seemed to ever adapt to a successful plan for winning under the salary cap.

I think they can get by with Alex Smith and a veteran as insurance. If Smith lives up to his potential, they won't have to go looking for a starter again until like 2014.

That said, hopefully they trade us their #1 and 2 for Cassel.

at least they called matt a top flight QB.....now if they only understood in the NFL that u NEED a top flight qb or at the very least a very good above average one, LOL

This thread stays but my Culpepper thread is moved? Odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes